Jason Scott

Get Up In There With the NOTACON

57 posts in this topic

Yes, it's a little early to be thinking all the way to April 2006, but hey, it never hurts to have a little planning in one's life.

The soiled wreckage of PhreakNIC behind us, and Shmoocon appearing in January (I'm giving a talk there) may have your attention, but I wanted to direct your mental spotlight over to another event: NOTACON.

Now in its third year, the organizers have really put together a fine-running event. Originally, it had some impression as "another Rubi-con" (referring to a con in Detroit that took place previously for five years) but it had grown well past that. It is, most definitely, its own thing.

Notacon's one of the highlights of my year; last year I gave an impromptu talk, got wrapped up in Notacon Radio, and generally kicked it up. This year I'm giving a talk on Wikipedia, helping with this year's incarnation of Notacon Radio, and who knows what else.

It takes place in a hotel in Cleveland, Ohio, in the first weeks of April 2006. They're way more organized than your average con; and there's still time to get in on their Call for Proposals. You'll note they're not just looking for the newest exploits or in-depth analysis of Skype; they want stuff that crosses boundaries.

Plus, I believe in this enough to make this offer: Get three people to buy pre-registrations and say you convinced them to do so, and I will give you a ticket to Notacon. Does it get better than that? It does not.

So get going.

I deffinately plan to be there. After a lot of preperation, pre approved vacation time, and reservations, I ended up having some money issues right before the last one. I'm not wanting to miss this one so I think I'll get my airfare and tickets as soon as I can. Hope to see some other people from this forum there!

EDIT: I just got a good size insurance settelment so I plan to buy my ticket, airfare, and reserve my hotel within the next week or so. W000t!

Edited by Bizurke

I actually might come, i'll have my after nine's, if I have the $ n shit, i'll be there.

I'll be there since it's only 20 minutes away..

I'm going to try and go, it'd be a great way for me to lose the girlfriend and party some more.

I'm getting a Canadian Contingent together to drive down. As long as everything goes will there should be at least two of us coming. It looks like its going to be a good time.

I'm going to try and go, it'd be a great way for me to lose the girlfriend and party some more.

hey y dont you stay home and let her go to the con?

hey y dont you stay home and let her go to the con?

You can drop off the wife at my place and phreaknurse can go to the con with you, kay?

By the way, Jason, all of the previous posters were convinced by me to go. I mean, I just have that ability with people.

:)

Wow, convince three, get one free. I need one more person in my Canadian assemblage and then I go free.... Not bad not bad.

I'm going, a friend of mine is going and im talking to the springfield 2600 about going.

2,718 mi (about 1 day 21 hours)

Maybe I can convince a few people to go, make a roadtrip out of it. I'm sure someone I know has a car that might be able to make it there and back. If not I may fly, should be fun. w00t

Sweet I have made 20 posts, I rock!

Edited by d3fault

My crew was very politely asked not to attend last year.

Maybe we'll sneak in this time around.

completely offtopic, but are there any cons in texas, this is gay, i get to miss out on all the good crap because i live in texas :(

i'm definately going. I may or may not be giving a presentation about payphones and phreaking (haven't recieved a yes or no back from the organizers yet). There also may or may not be a hacker radio panel that i'm organizing (i discussed it with the organizers while at phreaknic, but haven't recieved actual verification). So, every should go because me being there just has that much influence.

</ego>

i think there also might be a space or two available in my room (as far as i know, i'm splitting with droops. I think...) if anyone wants to throw down some cash to split it with us.

Edited by ponyboy_

cash? what about sexual favors?

/me throws the topic off track

i'm definately going. I may or may not be giving a presentation about payphones and phreaking (haven't recieved a yes or no back from the organizers yet). There also may or may not be a hacker radio panel that i'm organizing (i discussed it with the organizers while at phreaknic, but haven't recieved actual verification). So, every should go because me being there just has that much influence.

</ego>

i think there also might be a space or two available in my room (as far as i know, i'm splitting with droops. I think...) if anyone wants to throw down some cash to split it with us.

i'd throw down some cash but I think i'll go home and sleep :P

what about sexual favors?

Jason: If you need a hand with any of the Radio stuff, let me know. I'd be more than willing to donate some of my time to keeping it running while you or whoever else is running it takes a break.

Well, the speakers list seems to be finalized, and there are a lot of Binrevers speaking, and I imagine even more going. Here are some of the speakers I recognize from the boards:

http://www.notacon.org/speakers.html

Droops

Irongeek

Kn1ghtl0rd

P(?)NYB(?)Y

riscphree

Jason Scott

And I think I’m missing a few because there are using their “real life” names. Looks like we may have to have another meetup.

Well, the speakers list seems to be finalized, and there are a lot of Binrevers speaking, and I imagine even more going. Here are some of the speakers I recognize from the boards:

Droops

Irongeek

Kn1ghtl0rd

P(?)NYB(?)Y

riscphree

Jason Scott

And I think I’m missing a few because there are using their “real life” names. Looks like we may have to have another meetup.

Just based on the speakers, I want to go ... So if I can get up some money, I have no problem throwing in on a room!!! Or I'll pull a " Norm " @ the bar!!! :wacko:

Droops

Irongeek

Kn1ghtl0rd

P(?)NYB(?)Y

riscphree

Jason Scott

whats this "real life" that you speak of?

i will most likely be there. I have a speech I was thinking about doing concerning a local college and their security policies but im not sure it is such a good idea now...

Change of plans. I'll see what I can do to get down there.

April is exam season, so it might, might not (depending) get tight.

ok, since there are going to be a large number of binrevers there, im thinking we need to have a meetup. im thinking friday after the last talk, we need to meet in the vending hallway (if it is setup like it was last year) under the binrev meetup sign. ill try and find a cheap place we call all get in (for the younger then 21's) and go eat/drink/be merry. all the other meetups that we have had have been very fun and its great to put a name with a face.