Mr.Sandman

Hacking The Windows XP

185 posts in this topic

Dear ????

:help: I am a high school student who is using a laptop that the school has provided me to use for the year. It is a ( Dell Inspiron l 4100 ) laptop. The school has placed so many restictions on the laptop that it is driving me crazy. Can't download this, can't install that. ect. :blowfuse: The only way to get around this and have full controll of the laptop is to figure out the administrators password. Someone gave me the password two weeks ago but the password has recently been changed via wireless access. Now im no computer wiz and i was just wondering what i could do to find out what the new password is. Im desprate help me out.

Hacker in training,

Mr. Sandman

There's a password recovery tool (sam file) for windows called CAIN. You can find it at oxid.it

I found the (sam) file but not the others. I am unaware to access the files anyway because of the restrictions on my account. Im using Dreamweaver to view files on the admins account but i dont think i am able to change them.

There's a password recovery tool  (sam file) for windows called CAIN.  You can find it at oxid.it

Another thing you need to consider is what will happen when you have to turn the laptop back in at the end of the year or semester. You're lucky as fuck to even have a school-provided laptop in the first place, so be sure that they'll be willing to give you one next time round as well.

Im a senior. So i dont have to worry about getting one next year cuase i wont be here.

Another thing you need to consider is what will happen when you have to turn the laptop back in at the end of the year or semester.  You're lucky as fuck to even have a school-provided laptop in the first place, so be sure that they'll be willing to give you one next time round as well.

FYI My lap top dose not have a disk dive/floppy just two batteries. I have to install the floppy/cd drive but to do that i have to be an admin. Does this mean im f**ked?

Do you actually want the password, or would it suffice to reset it to blank?

If it's a newer laptop, you should be able to boot off an external USB CD drive. If that's the case, there's a neat little trick called "Emergency Recovery CD." It's a live Linux CD that gives you a ton of Windows-related recovery options -- resetting the SAM file to blank passwords is one of the tools available. I use it all the time to reset forgotten passwords in the dorms.

If you have the CD drive already, it won't be a problem. Don't worry about adding it in windows as long as the bios recognizes it.

If not, you can always go with USB drives. ERD Commander is what I'm (vaguely) familiar with, you boot into a Windows-like environment and can change your passwords, etc. We use it all the time where I work (me, not so much).

Barring that, you can just wipe the disk and install linux on it, they'll appreciate that :P

all very nice tuts (as i have always liked them)

have you ever tryed this website called google?

lastly LC5 is one am sure someone said somthing about or you will hear about. it's an oke app Cain is better.

lastly LC5 is one am sure someone said somthing about or you will hear about. it's an oke app Cain is better.

I use chntpasswd (google for it) on a USB drive...it's a linux disk that just boots up and allows to either change the administrator password or reset it to a blank one.

Now, this may not help you, but it teaches a good lesson.

Recently, at my school, we were given new accounts that were supposed to have more restrictions. One new restriction was that we could't access our "My Documents" folder. There was a simple work-around by opening it from Start > My Computer > My Documents that almost everyone found out. But there's one thing I found out that most others didn't.

In My Documents there's a .txt titled "sysprep". Nothing important, most people would think. But I decided to check it out because I, after all, didn't put it in there. So after a bit of examining I found that it was the configuration to some program on the computers.

There was one interesting thing about the configuration, however. There was a section asking for the administrator password followed by some, seemingly, random text. "That must be the admin password," I thought. So I copied it down on my phone (not on paper, never leave a "paper trail" ;) ) and logged off my account.

I then typed in "Administrator" and the password found in sysprep.txt. And what do you know? Bam, I was in. So what's the moral of the story? Don't waste your time trying to crack some files or install new programs. Just take a couple of minutes and explore your workstation. You never know what you might find. :devil:

Edited by MoD

Do you know how many text files on my computer? (More then i have time to explore thats for sure.)

Now, this may not help you, but it teaches a good lesson.

Recently, at my school, we were given new accounts that were supposed to have more restrictions. One new restriction was that we could't access our "My Documents" folder. There was a simple work-around by opening it from Start > My Computer > My Documents that almost everyone found out. But there's one thing I found out that most others didn't.

In My Documents there's a .txt titled "sysprep". Nothing important, most people would think. But I decided to check it out because I, after all, didn't put it in there. So after a bit of examining I found that it was the configuration to some program on the computers.

There was one interesting thing about the configuration, however. There was a section asking for the administrator password followed by some, seemingly, random text. "That must be the admin password," I thought. So I copied it down on my phone (not on paper, never leave a "paper trail" ;) ) and logged off my account.

I then typed in "Administrator" and the password found in sysprep.txt. And what do you know? Bam, I was in. So what's the moral of the story? Don't waste your time trying to crack some files or install new programs. Just take a couple of minutes and explore your workstation. You never know what you might find.  :devil:

I REPEAT IN ORDER TO USE A CD AND/OR FLOPPY DIVE I NEED TO KNOW THE ADMIN PASSWORD. ( If i knew it would not be asking how to get it. DUH)

Edited by Mr.Sandman

Do you know how many text files on my computer?  (More then i have time to explore thats for sure.)

Then search for files with names with the words "config" or "sys" or something. I'm sure you can be creative. And how the hell did you get so many files on it, if it's a school computer?

password hash insertion (changeing / removing the password on site) as it is know is a great way to get past the password quickly. however, If the you have and files that are secured using (W)EFS (windows Encrypted file system). anyhwo, if you look around there is insertion app that will fit on a floppy disc so i would give that a look.

Winternal's Locksmith is good, if you can get ahold of it.

Do not post three fucking posts in immediate succession. One will do, unless you like the title "just a fucking post whore idiot".

This topic should be moved to nubie hq.