Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
phax

why learn vi

13 posts in this topic

Why learn vi cause I can find it on 99.9% of all *nix's .

it's simple and easy to use

Now I think I got the hang of it now...:w :wq :wq! ^d X exit ^X^C ~. ^[x X Q] :quitbye ctrlAltDel ~~q :~q logout save/quit

if thats to hard it'll be simpler to just get a rope :P

I hate vi...I actually download the files locally to my PC and use an editor to make changes and then upload them back to the server to get around using vi.

Yes, it is because I am new to vi and am too lazy to learn it. But it seems needlessly overengineered for such a simple program. Too damn many keystrokes to do something simple.

I just use kwrite..........oops, i better dont think i shoulda said that.....

I learned vi because the first Sparc station I got at work as so slow that Emacs was unusable. I have an OK Linux box now (1GHz Dell) but I still use vi since I'm so used to it now.

I am all about vi's search and replace capabilities. I know Emacs can do it too but vi is a lot leaner and (for me) simpler.

I'll take vim over emacs or any other editor any day, it's so easy to just type "vim filename" and boom, there it is. I'm a command line junkie, so give me a simple vim editor anyday.

im with screamer on this one... almost

vi is the way to go for all my editing needs. ive never used vim to tell the truth, and emacs seemed too bloated to me.

I must be the laziest person alive. I love vim, but even the abreviated unix commands are too much for me. I use so many aliases for everthing. v for vim, l for ls -al, p for pine, etc.

I use vi when I HAVE to, but I hate emacs and would rather use pico or even better nano since it has color highlighting and thus code is easyer too see.

Either way....

vi

[esc]

i

int main(int argc, char **argv[]) blah blah blah, type type type hehehehe..

[esc]

:w blah.c

:q!

Works too...

im a vi addict. when im in another editor, i use :wq like 10 times before realizing it doesnt work :roll:

I do the same very often especially when using wordpad, wordperfect, notepad, or quikpad....B)

I hate vi...I actually download the files locally to my PC and use an editor to make changes and then upload them back to the server to get around using vi.

Yes, it is because I am new to vi and am too lazy to learn it. But it seems needlessly overengineered for such a simple program. Too damn many keystrokes to do something simple.

I'm glad i'm not the only person who does it like that Stank.

90% of the maintence I do on my server is through SSH. If its something really small I need to edit then i'll use vi.