nenn

other than linux...

35 posts in this topic

just curious to see what other distros people use other than linux and why?

i just needed windows to do an install of some software so that i can use it under wine :P, (it wouldnt install).

other than general things here and there, like syncing my pda, what do you all use your other operating systems for? and perhaps even, why?

I use Solaris and BSD in my security test network for testing and trying new apps out. I know BSD is a Unix based system like Linux, but you didn't include BSD in your "other than linux" so I figured it would be alright.

Plan9

Made by Bell Labs, who also made Unix. A hobbyist OS. Ask zerodb about it, or listen to one of the earlier BRRs. With him on it, I think he is a developer for it.

MenuetOS

- Pre-emptive multitasking

- Responsive GUI with resolutions up to 1280x1024, 16 million colours

- IDE: Editor/Macro Assembler for applications

- TCP/IP stack with Loopback & Ethernet drivers

- Network applications include ftp/http/mp3 servers

- Free-form application windows

- Hard real-time data fetch

- Fits on a single floppy

(taken from site)

Seems to be another hobbyist OS.

Edit:

Couldn't remember the name.

ReactOS

Designed to be basicaly a free windows.

The ReactOS® project is dedicated to making Free Software available to everyone by providing a ground-up implementation of a Microsoft Windows® XP compatible operating system. ReactOS aims to achieve complete binary compatibility with both applications and device drivers meant for NT and XP operating systems, by using a similar architecture and providing a complete and equivalent public interface.

(from site)

Under GPL and LGPL if taken from WINE.

Edited by Merk

Windows 2000, Windows XP, MenuetOS.

All of which I have no particular reason for running.

Spoke too soon, anyway I understand. Everyone has their reasons weather it's work or whatever. Maybe you just like it ;P ( I have heard good things about 2k though). Later

Just so you know, I use linux. Not the things I listed, but someone *has* to use them. Maybe the developers.

In Order of Preference:

OpenBSD

FreeBSD

Mac Tiger

I only have two linux boxes left, and one is only around cause I need it for a project.

I use OS X Tiger (In addition to 1 Debian Box, 1 32bit Gentoo box, and 1 64bit Gentoo Box) and additionally hope to install Gentoo/FreeBSD on a box I have lying around this weekend.

OS/X, netbsd, freebsd, openbsd, windows xp

I don't use linux at all, unless I have some project that needs it, in which case i'll use vmware on windows or a livecd. I use OS/X for a main desktop machine, I use windows for specific applications (like vmware and ida), and I use the opensource bsds for development of various sorts.

As for why -- I don't like linux, and can do anything I need to do with my existing platforms, unless it's a crackme that is linux based, or something of that nature.

i just needed windows to do an install of some software so that i can use it under wine :P, (it wouldnt install).

other than general things here and there, like syncing my pda, what do you all use your other operating systems for? and perhaps even, why?

Besides Linux LIinux 2 The Revenge of linux

Peng0

The box said use Windoze 98 or better so

I used linux

post-2932-1130301386_thumb.jpg

I mainly stay with Linux. Although I have tried a variety of Unices (commercial and otherwise), I haven't found anything usable at the consumer level. VMS is fun, too.

I used to check out every new Linux distro out there, but it's becoming almost irrelevant to me. These days it's more about productivity than pointless tinkering.

Dear lord Pengo, what's up with the attatchments. Every message we get a random one or something?

windowsXP, windows 2003, CentOS, Red Hat Corp 4. in that order.

FreeBSD here i come :devil:

I am a believer in the OS is just a tool and I use WindowsXP Pro for day to day and gaming use, when I need to hack the shit out of something and need tools and *nix power, I use the Auditor live distro. I take it everywhere I go. A computer is used to run applications and lets face it I can format and install a Windows box in 20min and have all the patches and applications I use up and running, how many of you Unix guys can say that?

I am a believer in the OS is just a tool and I use WindowsXP Pro for day to day and gaming use, when I need to hack the shit out of something and need tools and *nix power, I use the Auditor live distro. I take it everywhere I go. A computer is used to run applications and lets face it I can format and install a Windows box in 20min and have all the patches and applications I use up and running, how many of you Unix guys can say that?

I can, easily. OS install about 10 mins, packages about 10 mins at most.

I can, easily. OS install about 10 mins, packages about 10 mins at most.

Same here. 10 minutes for OpenBSD ( at least on a a box with 400mhz w/ 32mb ram etcetc.. )

( ( Anyone looking forward to November 1st? ( release of OpenBSD 3.8 ) )

acually linux flavors are called distros. if you are wanting other OS's,

i use slackware for everything. but i also have a few sparcs. running solaris, bsd, slackware. etc.

Aside from Linux...

Windows XP/2000 because I have no choice with some of the apps I require (usually have WinXP installed under VMware in Slack tho). Some games refuse to run under anything else (UT runs under Linux, but I can't get UnrealEd2 to *reliably* run under Wine.)

I've tested out Plan9...I don't know if it's actually practical, but it does work.

G4U --> Ghost for Unix. It's a live (Net?) BSD boot CD with a program that functions similar to Norton Ghost...except free, and generally better.

BeOS x86, just for the hell of it. I also have a live BeOS distro.

ReactOS because it's a cool idea...unfortunately, I can't get too much to work under it.

My FreeSCO router uses DOS to execute loadlin to boot into linux!

I still use linux on most everything (Slackware 10.1).

I use slackware, but I've poked around in OpenBSD.

Slackware is a simply Unix-like Linux, it eliminates bloat and is optimized for old machines.

Linux and very little XP/BSD.

One thing I am watching really closely is GNU/HURD. That's looking to be something really cool.

I'm really wanting to try openVMS as well. However I dont have a VAX computer so eh.

Other than Unix/Linux? Well you can always try the MacOS's, they're built from UNIX, but it's still an exploration experience.

Does anyone use Solaris/OpenSolaris as a desktop?