Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twirlz

wine

28 posts in this topic

i tinkered with wine for a while, but really, its not worth it, at least untill it comes more of age.  but i think its funny how people try to run huge windows apps in linux, when there is something just as good aval for linux that will not require the use of wine.

Photoshop: Gimp anyone?

MS Office: Open Office, abi word, ect ect thousands of em.

IE: if your running IE under linux, you need to be shot, use mozilla, firefox, opera, or the few    thousand other web browsers built for linux, or at least that run well on it.

my biggest problem with wine is the issues with networking support, its kinda crappy, there are a LOT of windows apps that were built to use the shitty windows networking system, so its almost impossable to get them to work under wine.

but yea, that was my rant

There are plenty of things that gimp cannot do that photoshop can, But for me it doesnt matter. ( but to many others, these features do ) ( Yes i love gimp, so dont take it as a photoshop nut talking shit. ) So you cant really claim gimp to be a photoshop alternative for linux. Hopefully this wont be the beginning of a photoshop vs. gimp war. They are always pointless. Google if you wanna see a gimp/photoshop flamewar. :)

Edit: wine is neat, but i have little to no use for it. ( We got a little off topic )

Edited by |cfh|

I got Cain running under Wine, but only the earlier versions. The new versions don't run under it for some reason...

It's neat, but I prefer a dual-boot with a very clean copy of Win-2000 over any emulators.

The wine team will be releasing a beta wine version in a couple of days.

Edited by latiffs