Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twirlz

wine

28 posts in this topic

could someone explain wine to me?

is it some kindda windows emulator? if so can you install windows appz within the wine environment? so then could someone say install compu serve within wine and then use compu serve at surf the net and still download linux apps and then use set apps for linux?

i'm really wired right now so if it doesn't make sense i will explain it better

wine is NOT an emulator (which is what wine stands for).....

it really isnt an emulator, since there is no windows environment......

to better explain this:

in vmware you usually install a copy of windows on a virtual machine, and it runs the apps like that.

in wine you dont need any windows. It runs the apps by itself, so its not really an emulator....

and yes, you can do all of those things you mentioned.

if you get wine to run anyhting, teach me how you did it... my win/loss record with wine is embarassing.

If you must use windows then it's much easier to dual boot than worry about if such and such app will work in wine.

If you must use windows then it's much easier to dual boot than worry about if such and such app will work in wine.

i'm having no luck with pengaol so i'm thinking of wine+aol or compu serve

the wine home page said that aol 7.0 didn't work and nothing for 8.0 and nothing for compu serve either so i'll give it a try

also you can forget about getting photoshop workin on it.....god knows i tried..

bland: my record is even worse :blush: .......nothing, i have gotten nothing to run on wine, of course i really dont need any windows apps....

i'm having no luck with pengaol so i'm thinking of wine+aol or compu serve

the wine home page said that aol 7.0 didn't work and nothing for 8.0 and nothing for compu serve either so i'll give it a try

yeah pengaol is a real bitch i had it installed once sucessfully but since my modem wouldnt work it didnt matter

dont bother with wine...i have never gotten it to work either. And i argue with my 2600 meeting people over whether it is an emulator or not. I say it is because it emulates windows function calls. But it doesnt really matter because it sucks so bad anyway.

The only person I have heard to get it to work is psypete and he swears that it works wonderfully.

In a nutshell, wine acts as a mediary to run widnows binary's on the linux kernel, like an interpreter, it is definately NOT an emulator.

In a nutshell, wine acts as a mediary to run widnows binary's on the linux kernel, like an interpreter, it is definately NOT an emulator.

there, see Stank, its not an emulator :D:D

i never got it to work either. it sucks.

my friend psypete loves it... *shrug* to each their own...

i never got it to work either. it sucks.

my friend psypete loves it... *shrug* to each their own...

he needs to write that up for binrev. i think we all would get ALOT of use out of it

I can get the Windows Solitaire app to run with wine... Perhaps I should write up something for binrev. :)

Codeweavers has a release tweaked for MS Office that definitely works. They even have one tweaked for browser plugins. $60 for both. I'm running Office 2000 Pro, IE, and Win versions of Trillian, Quicktime, and Realplayer.

I also set up the version of Wine that comes with Mandrake and am running Textpad with it.

Codeweavers is aiming for an Aug 4 update release (2.1) that would have Dreamweaver working. Dreamweaver's my last hold out, and Macromedia is in no hurry to port it.

I forgot to mention Windows Media Player. For those times when mplayer just can't cut it.

Hi guys. I haven't been posting in a while... think I should get back with this since I have some time till the fall semester starts.

.Anyway... WINE does stand for wine is not an emulator but it really is an emulator (if you look at the definition for emulator)

But yes, it does not emulate windows itself. It emulates the windows APIs so that you can run applications. FlashMX works pretty well and impressed me. I used it to do work for a class I had last semester. It will also run some openGL games like the half-life crap.

If you use debian you need to install the libwine-twain and libwine-print or whatever the exact names are cause otherwise you get errrors about certain dlls which are in those packages (annoying but they seperated them for some reason)

The old stuff works pretty well because the wine project has been around practically forever.

Blah blah blah. If you need help or have questions about wine feel free to ask since I have gotten a few things to run on it recently and in the past and know a few tricks :ranaway:

Im bringn this one WAAAYYYYYY back. WTF is up with wine? I cannot get it to work for pretty much any windows app that is worth a shit. I myself am a PartyPoker.net addict and the install makes my system freak. Perhaps its having trouble trying to load spyware? Anyway, here is my latest. I call it "wine does PP.N":

post-1038-1129264812_thumb.jpg

Edited by evoen

I got WINE running IE in my old install of slackware. That was about the only thing though. WINE doesn't really emulate so much as it lets you run windows executables and use windows libraries. I just needed IE for work so I could test a product with it. Ironically now it's not needed because it seems everything comptabilt with IE works with Epiphany, however Firefox still seems to have little problems.

I have managed to run Half-Life some months ago, i guess i'm uber 1337. :D

I have managed to run Half-Life some months ago,  i guess i'm uber 1337. :D

Wine or winex are both a little pain to get working perfectly and there are still a lot of things that dont run on it. However if you spend the time to understand how the configs work and understand exactly what it is doing you can get most things running on it. Keep in mind though winex is better in my personal opinion but I also paid for using it too so that I could feel comfortable supporting such a successful project.

First post...

Wine isnt too bad, I normally only use it for CDisplay and it works fine, but if you are running games then Cedega is the one to get, I had WoW running fine on Mandrake and also on Fedora Core 3, all you do is copy your warcraft or whatever game it is across onto the emulated windows directory and run it from that as games write to the hdd as well and that can really fuck up your partition writing to the ntfs drive if its not done/setup correctly but if your using the out of the box ntfs drivers then normally you wont be able to write anyway as its a different kernel patch to be able to write, never tested on fat32 so cant comment further.

Codeweavers crossover office is a bag of wank though, it runs alright but when I had to actually use it for work I couldnt test fpx extensions for sites using FrontPage yet when using a default windows box it would connect no problem.

Easiest solution for all is VMware and loads of memory :)

wine is NOT an emulator (which is what wine stands for).....

it really isnt an emulator, since there is no windows environment......

to better explain this:

in vmware you usually install a copy of windows on a virtual machine, and it runs the apps like that.

in wine you dont need any windows. It runs the apps by itself, so its not really an emulator....

and yes, you can do all of those things you mentioned.

Better explanation:

VMWare emulates x86 hardware. Its goal is to behave exactly like a home PC. Thus, it "emulates."

Wine is a compatibility layer. It provides an implementation of the Windows API and various DLLs found on Windows systems. I would call it a "simulator." It simulates the experience of a Windows PC by providing the same functionality under Linux or BSD.

Edited by pinhead

You'll have much better luck with Wine if you use the APIs/DLLs from a real, functioning, Microsoft install of an older version of Windows...98 has worked most consistently for me. The DLLs included with Wine aren't Microsoft, because that would by copyright infringement, etc...so they're no where near perfect.

I was able to get a very propriatery program for hotel reservations working under it, after I gathered all of the DLLs. I was also able to run Unreal Tournament (99) and UnrealEd2, albeit slowly since UT had to use software rendering.

Also, it's a bitch and it takes a long time (even on my 2.66 GHz P4 machine), but download the source and compile it manually. The prepackaged versions have never worked as well for me.

Codeweavers has a release tweaked for MS Office that definitely works. They even have one tweaked for browser plugins. $60 for both. I'm running Office 2000 Pro, IE, and Win versions of Trillian, Quicktime, and Realplayer.

I also set up the version of Wine that comes with Mandrake and am running Textpad with it.

Codeweavers is aiming for an Aug 4 update release (2.1) that would have Dreamweaver working. Dreamweaver's my last hold out, and Macromedia is in no hurry to port it.

I forgot to mention Windows Media Player. For those times when mplayer just can't cut it.

Why would you want Internet Explorer?

i tinkered with wine for a while, but really, its not worth it, at least untill it comes more of age. but i think its funny how people try to run huge windows apps in linux, when there is something just as good aval for linux that will not require the use of wine.

Photoshop: Gimp anyone?

MS Office: Open Office, abi word, ect ect thousands of em.

IE: if your running IE under linux, you need to be shot, use mozilla, firefox, opera, or the few thousand other web browsers built for linux, or at least that run well on it.

my biggest problem with wine is the issues with networking support, its kinda crappy, there are a LOT of windows apps that were built to use the shitty windows networking system, so its almost impossable to get them to work under wine.

but yea, that was my rant