Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chaostic

Good windows recover/fixing linux distro?

8 posts in this topic

Can anyone here recommend a good, all around windows fixing linux distro. Needs to be live boot (Well, It be really nice) and needs to run on a 600mhz (700 at the very least) pc. I normally use DSL, so anything with a similar look and feel and wm would be appreciated.

I need it to be able to remove virii, spyware, etc.

If you need it to remove spyware and viruses, what you are looking for isn't a distro at all, but BartPE. You build a disc containing all the plugins you want on your disc (example there is one for ad-aware,irecover or getdataback for data recovery, etc), and your good to go. This is what I use on almost every malware removal I get called to. Here is the site:

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

And a couple of useful guides to get you started on building a disc:

Tom's

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20050112...irstaid-07.html

and Irongeek's

http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=securit...buildertutorial

i was going to post barts pe also. i used to use a linux disk, but its a pain with ntfs filesystems. but now with barts life is good.

i was going to post barts pe also.  i used to use a linux disk, but its a pain with ntfs filesystems.  but now with barts life is good.

If i recall correctly, HELIX is nice when it comes to NTFS support.

Although I'm no expert, I read somewhere that FIRE was a good choice for what your'e looking for.

Can anyone here recommend a good, all around windows fixing linux distro. Needs to be live boot (Well, It be really nice) and needs to run on a 600mhz (700 at the very least) pc. I normally use DSL, so anything with a similar look and feel and wm would be appreciated.

A lot of them out there will work just fine. Knoppix-DVD has just about everything you could need. A common cd to have in your library at all times would be the UBCD Ultimate Boot CD.. If you really need links I can probably dig some up for you but you should be able to find it. I proabably use that cd along with knoppix-dvd on a monthly basis for maint.

A lot of them out there will work just fine. Knoppix-DVD has just about everything you could need. A common cd to have in your library at all times would be the UBCD Ultimate Boot CD.. If you really need links I can probably dig some up for you but you should be able to find it. I proabably use that cd along with knoppix-dvd on a monthly basis for maint.

The best for windows is wipe. Just kidding There is no one distro I have about 30 in my Batman utility belt. Here is a few suggestions Austrumi for older versions of Windoze it is so small it ejects at the begining of the boot freeing up the cdwriter ( hint look in the start button to switch it to english) . Two that where mentioned Fire and Helix for Ntfs they are both for forensic and data recovery and can be used to find deleted files . Also NST linux (use the command lx startx at boot )

P3ng0

All available at Distrwatch.com

Say Goodbye! to the blue screen of Death use linux

post-2932-1130297695_thumb.jpg

Thanks ya. I think the best bet for the moment is to try the Bart PE setup. I never really need to recover a crashed drive (*knock knock*).