greenhorn

old cell phone

29 posts in this topic

i have 2 old cell phones now. just collecting dust.

anyone have any interesting things to do with em.

can you reprogram them or.......i dont know?........

theres got to be something besides throw them away

OK, this is not a tech thing to do with them, but you can always donate them to a battered women’s' shelter. It beats just throwing them away.

I'm not sure, but I beleive the phone can't be reprogrammed because it is firmware, but I can be wrong.

My suggestion is either make some contraption so when you call it, it will do something cool.

Or, get some styrofoam, mix it with gasoline (make a sort of napalm, just burns for a long toime) mix it with more gasoline, put some on it where it could still work, put it on fire and call it and watch it melt into oblivion.

Or, blow it up with fireworks.

Well, there are some neat things that you can do, depending on what model/make/firmware the phones use. Pre-EE3 Motorola's have a plethora of hacks, and good god if one or both are an OKI...

Older Motorola's do have the ability to "upgrade" the firmware, and there are some neat firmware hacks out there, but it is much more complicated than say reflashing a router's firmware.

Please post what they are, and if I can, I'll give you a couple of suggestions.

You could get prepaid service through some reseller and have a backup phone.

Well, there are some neat things that you can do, depending on what model/make/firmware the phones use.  Pre-EE3 Motorola's have a plethora of hacks, and good god if one or both are an OKI...

Older Motorola's do have the ability to "upgrade" the firmware, and there are some neat firmware hacks out there, but it is much more complicated than say reflashing a router's firmware.

Please post what they are, and if I can, I'll give you a couple of suggestions.

the one is a LG vx6000

the other is a four or five year old nokia

and thank you rekenaar, i forgot about donating them to the battered womens shelter. that might work for one of them.

Well, there is not a lot that you can do as far as hacking them goes. You could play arround with the Nokia using the *3001#12345# code to access the programming menu, and turn on the network monitor, or screw around with the NAM, but thats not gonna get you too far. I think donating them would be a good idea if you are not going to use them.

Take off the nokia's battery and you'll see the model # in the back.

I believe that Nokia phone still uses the *3001#12345# code that lets you access some of the more interesting features of the phone.

If you mean what fubster mentioned, you would just type it in.

why give a battered woman a cell phone??? they obviously dont listen.

i AM going to hell

Call 911 without being traced?

thats so imature

I wasn't suggestiing making prank calls or false alarms, it was just the first thing that I could think of that could be done on an old phone with no service. In my town, if you have an old phone you're not using you can donate it to the Senior Citizen's centre and they give 'em to old folks without cell fones, in case they need to call 911 in an emergency.

thats so imature

I wasn't suggestiing making prank calls or false alarms, it was just the first thing that I could think of that could be done on an old phone with no service. In my town, if you have an old phone you're not using you can donate it to the Senior Citizen's centre and they give 'em to old folks without cell fones, in case they need to call 911 in an emergency.

I think you raise a valid point. Not everyone (myself included) likes the idea of GPS pinpointing my exact coordinates everytime I place a call. I agree it is nice to have in the event of an emergency, but at the same time I still like my privacy

thats so imature

I think you raise a valid point. Not everyone (myself included) likes the idea of GPS pinpointing my exact coordinates everytime I place a call. I agree it is nice to have in the event of an emergency, but at the same time I still like my privacy

I heard second handedly that gps transmitting can be turned off. But on the other hand, gps coordinates are great for navigating by numbers and for geocaching.

OK, this is not a tech thing to do with them, but you can always donate them to a battered women’s' shelter.  It beats just throwing them away.

i seconed that, give them to someone that needs them.

Who was the service provider for the LG phone?

EDIT: Fixed spelling mistake. "was" was spelled as "eas".

Edited by I-baLL

Who eas the service provider for the LG phone?

I still have an old motorolla STARTAC phone from like 1999/2000 era.

All I need is a new phone cord/power cord...

I have to find the model # but what about old StarTacs? :) I mean this has the OLD green dot.pixel screen,lol. No camera. No frills other than it can operate on BOTH the old analog and digital (when I got the phone it could do that).

Any ideas my fellow phreaks? :P Thanks!

-John/Byrdturd