Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Strom Carlson

15 posts in this topic

This is topic number 2368 in Old Skool Phreaking! Break out the booze, the blow, and the hookers!

1943ad8.sized.jpgnewforyou.sized.gif

2368.jpg

AHH! It's 2368 madness!

phonead1.sized.jpg

1952taxes.jpg

1940scost.sized.jpg

I need back info on this. What's the significance that Bell attributed to the number?

Isn't it just kind of an undialable number they put on all their ads? (311 NPA is N11 so it's unassignable as an area code.. the whole 555 exchange is directory assistance - at least in Qwest land, but NANPA allows it to be assigned)

This doesn't explain how the Bell System used the number but it's interesting nonetheless: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_telephone_number

Edited by BlakeOPS

My voicemail box # on the Fall River Lodge Partyline (781-452-3186) is 2368 :P

I need back info on this. What's the significance that Bell attributed to the number?

As far as I can figure, 2368 Spells 'Cent' (or Bent), I believe this is why they chose it, interestingly enough, the toll free number for Lucent Technologies(a break off company from AT&T) is 888-4LUCENT or 888-458-2368

Strom, don't tell me that's really your license plate? If it is, you are hardcore...

The man is indeed that hardcore.

Strom, don't tell me that's really your license plate? If it is, you are hardcore...

No, no, this is hardcore

post-343-1129102297.jpg

post-343-1129102309.jpg

As far as I can tell, it's a simple way to have a completely fake and undialable number without resorting to something obviously fake (not to mention really boring) like (555) 555-5555.

311 is an unassignable area code, as it follows the N11 format.

555 is an unassignable office code, as it routes to directory assistance and will never be assigned to a customer.

2368 has no significance in and of itself, but it's aesthetically pleasing as far as I can tell.

the whole 555 exchange is directory assistance - at least in Qwest land, but NANPA allows it to be assigned

I think this is something they were toying around with several years ago - companies would be able to compete for directory assistance by having dialable numbers in the 555 prefix. It doesn't seem to have been terribly successful, though.

That is quite definitely my license plate. I loves me them telephones. :)

/me notices his extreme lack of car to put on extreme license plates...

I knew about the 555 part, I just didn't quite understand the significance of 2368.

Thanks, Strom and Lucky.

^_^

Edited by Minion