Fracer

HACKER PERSONALITY

41 posts in this topic

I have read alot about hackers/phreakers etc... I was just curious if what I read about Hacker personality is correct for the most part? (skimpy lookin, anti-social, intelligent, paranoid, dont trust anyone, very deceptive,etc..)

I would appreciate if you could describe YOUR personality in about 5-7 words, I am actually writing a paper about this particular subject as well.

Thanks

whoops. ment to be a pm.

Edited by Debris

I'm afraid you have classified all hackers and phreaks into a narrow category, that isn't true in many cases. Another perfect example of a group of people who are portrayed by the media a certain way, and are completely different. I really don't know about looks but if you haven't noticed, there is kind of a social aspect to the forums. There are also 2600 meetings, defcon meetings, conferences, IRC, and many other social events for hackers. Binrev just about knowledge, it's about the community sharing the knowledge, and the community in general. Some hackers might be very anti-social, but if you take a look at some people in the DDP, the share so much of their time and effort, for the community. And giving stuff up for the community is very social. The word "hacker" to me means someone who is intrested in learning about technology, and that would generaly mean that you have a fair intelligence level, to comprehend the technology. But some hackers are very stupid, once again, look around this forum (hehe). Silly insults aside, there are some very unintelligent hackers or phreaks, I won't go into whom, you'll have to find out yourself. As for paranoia, I don't think that most on this forum is that paranoid, because no one has anything to hide here (for the most part).

I would be ever-so-enlightened if you would not write a paper about stereotypes made about hackers, and maybe share about how diverse they are.

I quote the hackers manifesto:

We exist without skin color,

without nationality, without religious bias... and you call us criminals.

Dwell upon this, this specific group of hackers, the people at binrev, are joined by the intrest in technology, and the thirst for more knowledge. And if the thirst for knowledge applies specificaly to ones with the features you have stated above, then I would be very shocked, as the majority of hackers I have known are very different in personality.

hehe thanks for the info...but I already know most of this, I was just curious as to how hackers personalities are around the world...just curious.

The paper is going to be written in favor of hackers for my debate class, I am going to debate about hackers with 30 other ppl..thats all..

p.s: i am a long term defcon goer...

I think the main things that hackers share (since there are hackers besides computer and phone hackers) is the desire to make something work better or differently than it used to and to gain more knowledge in any field they are interested in.

As Merk said, hackers are joined together by a common thirst for knowledge, and that attitude usually prevails.

If you're a longterm DefCon attendee, you shouldn't need to ask such a question. There really is no definitive "hacker" personality.

If you're a longterm DefCon attendee, you shouldn't need to ask such a question.  There really is no definitive "hacker" personality.

I never been to DefCon but I would agree. I have met people just like me who look very social and involved in society. Saying all hackers are geeks who look like urcle would be stereotypical.

Like tehbizz said.... Ehh, I surf almost everday, so I am pretty tan. Not as in shape as most surfers though, I have an extra 10-15 pounds or so on me. I'm long past the age I should probably be moshing, throwing roundhouses, and pickin up change in the pit.....but I do. I am a damn good salesman, run my own computer related business and have no problem interacting with people on any level...but, am a little paranoid I suppose. I've been active in militia in the past, and practice self-reliance in a lot of what I do. I write a couple letters a week to senators or editorial pages.

Most of my friends growing up in real life are dead or in prison. I was tatooed and homeless by the time I was 15 . Flip side of the same coin, there are people here who got a scholarship and attended a state or private university. We are in the scene because we have an interest in technology. No more, no less.

Well, you get the idea.....go to the grocery store, look around, there are hackers there. Like anyone else though, there isn't a certain type. They can be rich or poor, upper class, lower class, middle class, Black, White, Latin, male, female, fat, ripped, drug riddled or straight edge, from The Bronx or Greenwich CT, the six occupied counties or the Irish Republic, Norwich or the East End, Kiev or Bombay......we're anyone.

Edited by Evolve

If you're a longterm DefCon attendee, you shouldn't need to ask such a question. There really is no definitive "hacker" personality.

True, But I was just asking from the majority of people from around the world for thier OWN personality and yes i do know how some hackers are but mostly the ones that i hang with.

I was looking for responses such as Evolve's

Thank you main stream media.

Hackers are normal people, who have a knack for improving things.

i would say they don't share any physical traits in common but they do share the love for Tec stuff and their curiosity in how stuff works

I'm 15, fat, pale, and very very social.

I'm anything but anti-social, love to talk, discuss, debate, and so on.

I'd go on and list my personality, but I'll do that in a couple hours. Pm me to remind me, I can't be arsed to do so right now.

whoops. ment to be a pm.

That was one of the highly intelligent hackers someone referred to earlier.

--

Also, hackers is a term, alot like air. It's all around you, you can never really see it, unless you are whole with it. Even when you're whole with it, you can never fully fathom it. It's the passion that drives most of us mad for more. We're all in the quest for more knowledge, specifically I'm in the quest for more knowledge about computers. How about you?

whoops. ment to be a pm.

I'm geussing that is sarcasm, and just wanted to say that it wasn't meant to be a pm. I just didn't want to say, "I change my mind, I don't want people reading this." Why is it that everything I say is ridiculed in some form or another. I want to say more in my defense besides this, but am afraid I'll just make you guys look down on me even more. I bet you'll say something bad about this post too anway.

Edited by Debris

whoops. ment to be a pm.

I'm geussing that is sarcasm, and just wanted to say that it wasn't meant to be a pm. I just didn't want to say, "I change my mind, I don't want people reading this." Why is it that everything I say is ridiculed in some form or another. I want to say more in my defense besides this, but am afraid I'll just make you guys look down on me even more. I bet you'll say something bad about this post too anway.

nope nothing bad from me, i have yet to put you down

don't listen to them there just being a bunch of asses

Hackers come in many shapes and sizes.

But there's one thing I've noticed in common with all of them. A willingness to go beyond the restrictions of the mundane to achieve ingenious solutions. Be it in the realm of computing or elsewhere.

Myself, I am a social guy with a hefty sense of humour. I really enjoy undertaking multiple projects of an educational nature on the side, for my own personal satisfaction.

Edited by Seal

I think the common thing that this is leading to is people are still trying to decide what a hacker is. Most of us here will describe what they are not or what they are like. In reality they are everday people. Nothing outwardly expressive and different from the next punk, football player, cheerleader, school teacher, etc. Though this debate really focuses on the core 'build' of the "hacker persona". Once you classify someone you have already lost the battle as I used an example I saw a cheerleader that had a few things to teach me that I would have NEVER guessed the person knew.

I think the common thing that this is leading to is people are still trying to decide what a hacker is. Most of us here will describe what they are not or what they are like. In reality they are everday people.  Nothing outwardly expressive and different from the next punk, football player, cheerleader, school teacher, etc.  Though this debate really focuses on the core 'build' of the "hacker persona". Once you classify someone you have already lost the battle as I used an example I saw a cheerleader that had a few things to teach me that I would have NEVER guessed the person knew.

So what did she teach you?

That should be interesting.....(Ok...when I say give me a D spank me twice..ok ;))

Seriously was she like a h4x0r chik or something? cuz I have only met 1 chick in my lifetime thats a h4x0r....

That should be interesting.....(Ok...when I say give me a D spank me twice..ok ;))

Seriously was she like a h4x0r chik or something? cuz I have only met 1 chick in my lifetime thats a h4x0r....

Only one huh. Ive never met one in REAL life but myspace seems to have a whole lot of those for some odd reason. Check out the "Linux Geek" group on myspace, pretty interesting...

This is me: Im everything a stereotypical hacker isn't

meagain.jpg

Yes those are real women!

mirrorshot.jpg

OMG I PLAY SPORTS!

newpicsmall.jpg

Holy shit im one sexi mexican

The one on the far left is ueber hot :D

That isnt you, that's just you pretending to be you!

This is me:  Im everything a stereotypical hacker isn't

Holy shit im one sexi mexican

so true ;p that REALLY IS HIM!!!

uhh as far as girls, my girlfriend may not be a hacker but she is studing computer science at a well respected uni where i am studying computer engineering,

i currently DJ, Skateboard, am active in a local fraternity, work on various projects where i would need to be social, and am an RA in my dorms, so that means i gotta be outgoing, friendly and all that other jazz, not to mention im good lookin ;p hahah

but personality wise

ill say...

outgoing, intrested, aware, excited, and, competent (i think thats how its spelled)

later!

Heh, I met a cheerleader that was such a good "teacher", I married her. :P