oneeyedelf1

Looking for cheap nvidia card

3 posts in this topic

What I am looking for is a cheap nvidia board that has dual monitor support [for my 2 d-sub montiors (dont care if one channel has to be converted via dvi->dsub converter)], and to play with composite support for xorg. I used to know sites that would let you meta browse for prices. Basically im looking for a few good meta sites, and someone to say which nvidia chipset to go with (there are so many of them). I don't do anything other than watch videos and browse the web and code and stuff on the computer. I kinda wanna spend under 40.

Pricewatch (pricewatch.com) and Froogle (froogle.google.com) are two good sites for finding the cheap wares.

For Nvidia card, it depends on what you want to use it for. If you are not going to use it for games, then might as well go with a GeForce MX. They're good in the "everything but games or rendering" department. They can do dual monitor outputs; and are rather common on brandname computers.

A step up would be in the low-end GeForce5/6 series. GeForce 5200s/6200s.

Cheap GeForce MX440 card:

http://3btech.net/duhetwvgapon.html [dual monitor; TV out]

My favourite card of all time - G4Ti4200: [better performance than the MX cards; could even run Doom3]

http://3btech.net/chnvti128xag1.html [dual monitor; TV out]

Edited by Seal

Thanks a bunch for the info, I have decided to well restrain from busting out 30 bucks and sticking to a buggy implementation of Xdmx (distributed multiheaded X). I am not sure if its Xdmx, xinerama, or the way I set it up, but flash likes to crash Xdmx well it did so a while ago. Basically use network to simulate the same things a dual display vid card can do. Im thinking ill probably end up waiting for christmas and asking for a tad better one than the 30 im not even willing to seperate with. Thanks for the links and the info, it was exactly what I wanted.