st0rm

RIAA LAWSUIT FUND

26 posts in this topic

It's certainly about time someone with the bank to back it up sued Michael Jackson :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.downhillbattle.org/defense/comp...t_attbi.com.gif

Seriously though, this guy has gotten a little over 200 bucks (his share of the donations) over a two year period since being served with papers on Sept. 6, 2003. Pffffft, pointless.

I also should say I feel a little worse for them than tiocsti, who's made his stance on this very clear. I am a big fair use advocate and what not. These people are toads though. Downloading the latest Coldplay tune on "teh Kazaa"....

What lesson people should take from all this is not how unfair it is to the people being sued. Frankly, my opinion is fuck them. What people should notice out of all the lawsuits is that the music itself sucks, is put out by greedy assholes, and I should repeat...sucks. Don't listen to that shit. Don't want to buy it, shit, I undertand that...me either. But don't download it. It only empowers these assholes even more. They can have their music and shove it up their ass. I'm over it.

/me waves

Hi RIAA

"I buy my CD's at shows from non-assholes, thanks anyway. While I have your ear I should point out I remember when mix tapes were going to be the death knell for your industry. To bad it didn't work. Really."

ohh the lawsuits will drive these people into poverty. Boo fucking hoo, if they cant afford the reprecussions of their actions, maybe they should quit pirating music.

Do you actually believe that, or is this a classic example of people wielding toughguy personalities online that they don't have in real life? Either way, you have my pity.

Edited by elchoaro^2

ohh the lawsuits will drive these people into poverty. Boo fucking hoo, if they cant afford the reprecussions of their actions, maybe they should quit pirating music.

I'm sure the dead grandmother would agree with you. As well as the single mother who didn't own a computer.

Do you actually believe that, or is this a classic example of people wielding toughguy personalities online that they don't have in real life? Either way, you have my pity.

Yes, I believe people should be held responsible for their actions; I don't think this is a 'toughguy personality' though.

If you cant afford the consequences if you are caught pirating, then dont pirate.

I'm sure the dead grandmother would agree with you. As well as the single mother who didn't own a computer.

Thats what courts are for; so the innocent are not persecuted. To say that because there are mistakes, nobody is guilty would be rather silly though. You have a much better chance of not being sued if you dont steal music.

Heh, you obviously don't know him. One thing tiocsti doesn't have is a tough guy personality. Among the things he does have: compassion, a sense of fairness, a desire to be paid for his work as a programmer, and my respect. It's not a big leap from music file sharing to warez.

I can't take the same "absolute" stance he does, it would be hypocritical. See, I am willing to admit I spent a couple years on AOL in the mid to late 90's trading programs. I can however look back and realize it was a waste of time and effort for the most part, and honestly say I have been years past that. I tried the program Napster wrote when he released it...even though I didn't really listen to commercial music at the time. It was a novelty, and I lost interest quickly. I was a toad, but I would have to say the people downloading the latest offerings from Viacom/Warner/RIAA are just as toady, if not more so. See, they know they may be sued, and don't care. They are rolling the proverbial dice. All for music that is utter crap, to be honest.

While I don't feel bad at all for the parties being sued (except for the instances which Seal pointed out, which I have heard of one of them), I really have no love for the RIAA. The practice of suing indiscriminantly is bogus, as are most of the tracks they stamp as fit for sale. Them having to re-work their business model to fairly compensate artists would be a good outcome from all this. I am pretty sure that isn't going to happen though. I think that ship has sailed.

Yeah, I know. I'm a living, breathing contradiction. Sorry. :D

Thats what courts are for; so the innocent are not persecuted. To say that because there are mistakes, nobody is guilty would be rather silly though. You have a much better chance of not being sued if you dont steal music.

No, the courts aren't for that. When you face multimillion dollar lawyers backed by a mega-corporation conglomerate, it doesn't matter if you're right or wrong. Even if you are completely innocent, the cost of the lawyer alone for your defense is enough to bankrupt most people. Therefore, all people choose to settle for the $3000 fee; right or wrong.

I'm not saying that the majority of these people didn't share music. But grouping them up like that paints an inaccurate picture.

As to your first argument - can't afford the consequences of the illegal way then don't pirate, I retort. When the legal way is in itself cost prohibitive, you leave little option.

You don't see people selling "pirate candy" because its decently priced. If candy was $15 a pop, I'm sure you'd see "illegal" knock off brands everywhere. If music was cheap on online delivery platforms, there'd be a whole lot less pirating going on.

Edited by Seal

If you cant afford the consequences if you are caught pirating, then dont pirate.

Lol...Or Do it ..Very Carefully and discreetly? :D

i tend to agree with tiocsti on this point. I have no respect for people who don't take responsibility for thier own actions. I do take pity on those people who are wrongly accused. As much as it sucks to say it, there isn't really alot we can do for them. The recording industry has every right to set the prices for the media they distribute as high as they want. However, you DO NOT have the right to steal it. You do have the right to take safe and legal actions against them. You have the right to organize a protest. You have the right to make a proposal to your local government, or to write letters to your state representatives asking them to make motions. Pirating music only leads to worse things. People pirate music and DVDs, so the industries make it harder for people to rip the data from the discs. This keeps honest people from being able to make legit copies of media they paid for.

that's all i'm going to get into on this matter. this wasn't supposed to turn into a rant.

i tend to agree with tiocsti on this point. I have no respect for people who don't take responsibility for thier own actions. I do take pity on those people who are wrongly accused. As much as it sucks to say it, there isn't really alot we can do for them. The recording industry has every right to set the prices for the media they distribute as high as they want. However, you DO NOT have the right to steal it. You do have the right to take safe and legal actions against them. You have the right to organize a protest. You have the right to make a proposal to your local government, or to write letters to your state representatives asking them to make motions. Pirating music only leads to worse things. People pirate music and DVDs, so the industries make it harder for people to rip the data from the discs. This keeps honest people from being able to make legit copies of media they paid for.

that's all i'm going to get into on this matter. this wasn't supposed to turn into a rant.

I completely agree. [And thus revoke my previous stance.]

Edited by Seal

As everyone can see this is a complicated matter. Seal revoked his previous stance,probably because ponybony worded things perfectly. I'm a fair use guy myself, and he right about the way it's getting harder for people to rip their media and all. Getting back to Seal, you stepped off your previous stance. Which, is admittedly a little hard to stand behind morally. "it's to much, no choice", I hear it though...and you raised an awesome point, though really like I said, ponyboy is right. I could charge 300 an hour for window washing. If someone would pay it right? This statement doesn't justify illegal downloads, but it does explain the *real* reason they are happening, and it's a completely valid point.

You don't see people selling "pirate candy" because its decently priced. If candy was $15 a pop, I'm sure you'd see "illegal" knock off brands everywhere. If music was cheap on online delivery platforms, there'd be a whole lot less pirating going on.

I'm drunk and reserve the right to edit this spelling however i wish in the morning,

EDIT: I already edited, i'm off to drunkard ally where i belong :P

EDIT 2: Well, it doesn't make a lot of sense, but at least I fixed the spelling :)

Edited by Evolve

My stance is simple for those who do or do not pirate music. To everyone who ever cared and wanted to take a stance. To those who don't really know when. Well now is the time here is the place. For all you to hear and understand this. FUCK THE RIAA!!! That is simply how I feel. There is not a lot more of an opinion that one can have. Unless I had millions of dollars to back this up or a personal campaign. But I don't so until then my stance remains unchanged. Fuck The RIAA!!!

[post removed by author as it would be redundant]

Edited by tiocsti

Thought I would paste this up here, since I saw it the other day, and it relates to the topic of file sharing, though not donating to the legal defense fund. Harvey Danger released their latest album online and as a torrent.

This is interesting, I look forward to seeing how this plays out for the band.

http://www.harveydanger.com/press/why.php

The last line of the article:

We’re not a bunch of fake Marxists. We’re just trying to be smart capitalists so we can sustain our lives as musicians. This is an experiment. We’ll let you know how it goes.

Meanwhile, please enjoy the record. Everything else is secondary.

I downloaded it, and think the music is awful (then again I think Most Precious Blood is great, so YMMV). The college radio/Dave Matthews crowd should love it. I do think it's a great experiment, and really quite ballsy. I look forward to seeing the end result.

I did not download it, as your description led me to believe I would not enjoy it, but I hope we see more of this in the future. I think the internet is a very viable marketing medium, especially for small unsigned bands, and in the future they can simply cut out the record companies (or have the leverage to sign much better deals).

I don't know that their particular experiment will work financially, but it's good to see bands out there trying stuff.

Thought I would paste this up here, since I saw it the other day, and it relates to the topic of file sharing, though not donating to the legal defense fund. Harvey Danger released their latest album online and as a torrent.

This is interesting, I look forward to seeing how this plays out for the band.

http://www.harveydanger.com/press/why.php

The last line of the article:

We’re not a bunch of fake Marxists. We’re just trying to be smart capitalists so we can sustain our lives as musicians. This is an experiment. We’ll let you know how it goes.

Meanwhile, please enjoy the record. Everything else is secondary.

I downloaded it, and think the music is awful (then again I think Most Precious Blood is great, so YMMV). The college radio/Dave Matthews crowd should love it. I do think it's a great experiment, and really quite ballsy. I look forward to seeing the end result.

Wow, rock on harvey danger. They do have great music from past. However newer stuff sounds repetative and yada yada. Thats a great start. Smashing Pumpkins also did a similar album as their last "real" album. Sucessor to the machina of the gods, was the final one. Pardon me as for I have forgotten the name. But the album ultimitaly sucked. I was just a huge fan at the time that I thought it was amazing that they would have done such a stunt five yrs ago.

edit: Not even five minutes later. Got Harvey Danger Album. I know why its free. :lol: Its crap. I am glad to see this kinda movement amongst artists and bands. But really this is the reason albums that are traded illegally are illegal to download. Those types are typically worth half your dollar. This download other then to make this post, was not worth my time. :nono:

Edited by Voldemort

Most Precious Blood fucking rule live, period.

Wow, rock on harvey danger. They do have great music from past. However newer stuff sounds repetative and yada yada. Thats a great start. Smashing Pumpkins also did a similar album as their last "real" album. Sucessor to the machina of the gods, was the final one. Pardon me as for I have forgotten the name. But the album ultimitaly sucked. I was just a huge fan at the time that I thought it was amazing that they would have done such a stunt five yrs ago.

edit: Not even five minutes later. Got Harvey Danger Album. I know why its free.  :lol:  Its crap. I am glad to see this kinda movement amongst artists and bands. But really this is the reason albums that are traded illegally are illegal to download. Those types are typically worth half your dollar. This download other then to make this post, was not worth my time.  :nono:

You know what's illegal to download? Anything from a major recording company or anything with a copyright attached to it. Aside from that, music from Britney Spears will put you on the RIAA radar. You think that stuff is worth half a dollar? Crap like that should be given away with a $10 bill attached to it.

Edited by tehbizz

You know what's illegal to download?  Anything from a major recording company or anything with a copyright attached to it.  Aside from that, music from Britney Spears will put you on the RIAA radar.  You think that stuff is worth half a dollar?  Crap like that should be given away with a $10 bill attached to it.

Hmm, and here I thought US copyright law gave anything created an automatic copyright. Even if you don't register it or add the little © to it. Wait, I'm right.

While not the single mother seal wrote about, this disabled woman who never downloaded a single file has decided to file a countersuit. I believe it is the first of it's kind.

http://recordingindustryvspeople.blogspot....-back-sues.html

There is a little overblown "MediaSentry hacked my box" stuff. I assume this is pre-case posturing. I don't think MediaSentry actively looks into systems the have identified via subpeona to the ISP. I could be wrong, but that seems unlikely. Even with that, I hope she wins. Anyone falsely accused of this should be compensated for defamation if nothing else.

Hey, the new Harvey Danger album is the bomb. It's a great refreshment from The Strokes hold on the entire genre. I guess it's more of an album for those who apperciate the musical qualtiy of music, not deep rooted lyrics. They have some pretty innovative different going on, and they are extremely catchy. But I guess not many of you can appreciate that type of music...

Edited by Perf-149

Don't you think the punishment should be proportional to the crime?

Some millionare running a business scams millions of people out of their pensions and they get a slap on the wrist :nono:, some little girl downloads a britany spears song becuase she doesn't know any better and all of a sudden her single mom is r4p3d :blowfuse: to the tune of $6000 - how is that justice?

It didn't need to go to court, they should have just asked the mother to pay for the songs at market value and that would be that - I'm sure the mum would have settle out of court, but no, they have to make an 'example' out of a little 12 year old girl.

Pathetic.

Calm down dude. These morons are getting charged because they are downloading about 800 fucking shitty songs from the internet. Good music is hard to find these days.