st0rm

PGP

9 posts in this topic

I dont know if you guys know about this ..but the commercial version of PGP..PGP DESKTOP Pro theres a Copy floating around thats supposed to have been 'cracked' ??

So, like any curious person obtained a copy of this PGP DESKTOP 9.0 and read the read me included:

there are 2 files: 1 that patches the exe and the other ones a Dos based program that generates a Serial/Company name etc....

I figured ok this is not going to work...and to my disbelief It WORKED..Yes it worked.

My question is, does this mean theres a major flaw with the algorithm..or is that completely different from the program it self and it doesnt really matter because the encryption method is the same?

(i am not sure how this exactly works....please comment)

I don't think the copy protection incorporates an encryption algorithm. The patch for the executable probably just inserts a jump instruction to branch over the registration procedure.

I dont know if you guys know about this ..but the commercial version of PGP..PGP DESKTOP Pro theres a Copy floating around thats supposed to have been 'cracked' ??

So, like any curious person obtained a copy of this PGP DESKTOP 9.0 and read the read me included:

there are 2 files: 1 that patches the exe and the other ones a Dos based program that generates a Serial/Company name etc....

I figured ok this is not going to work...and to my disbelief It WORKED..Yes it worked.

My question is, does this mean theres a major flaw with the algorithm..or is that completely different from the program it self and it doesnt really matter because the encryption method is the same?

(i am not sure how this exactly works....please comment)

The application registering algorithm got cracked, not the encryption/decryption algorithm. Try decrypting a file without the private key and it will not work.

But you have a cracked version which means quite possibly there is a backdoor that saves and sends exactly what you are trying to protect.

PGP is free, you do not need an illegal cracked version....

Yeah, frankly if you use a cracked version of PGP, you're asking for trouble. Why not just use the free version or GnuPG?

If you're using cracks you didn't compile nowadays man your insane. Autorooters are everywhere and rootkits are to easy to hide.

Not being preachy, and that stuff is fair game for me when testing and re-imaging or using Deep Freeze or something on a Windows PC. But it sounds like you installed that on a PC you want to use. I would re-think that idea bro.

Yeah, frankly if you use a cracked version of PGP, you're asking for trouble. Why not just use

Remember I said I tryed it to see if it really worked...and NO i am not using a cracked version of pgp.....

But I might give it another try later on why? because it has alot more nice options: Whole Disk ENcryption etc.... I still wouldnt probably use it for everyday use....too paranoid

From what I hear there isn't a free version of PGP, anymore, although there may be a trial or something.

The source code for PGP however is still released freely, although you have to "register" to download it <cough @willhackforfood.biz>

-Dr^ZigMan