Debris

MIT Students Make A Laptop

33 posts in this topic

It does not state anything about an OS. It most likely will run some version of Windows CE.

I dont think so, these are the MIT people. It just strikes me as they wouldn't use windows. They might even make thier own OS for it. And don't be suprised if after a month of it's release, NetBSD has already came out with something for it.

Believe me I would love to see this linux or BSD based but to make this product commercially viable it would have to windows based.

You need to ask yourself what demographic is this marketed to?

What do they feel confortable with?

Read the attached article. They are planning to use linux. They say the reason is becuase other software has become too fat and unrelieable. (BIG smile) That should be fun to play with if they can really do it.

I really like the idea of it being more the just a "Palm Pilot" type portable.

i would love to have a chance to play with one of em'. and my vote is the it will run of some linux distro

As long as they make it durable enough to survive in a Third World country it'll probably catch on. Hell, i want one. It'd be great to take notes on in class.

It looks like a freaking toy. And I hope they open source the hardware design, so we can make it for cheaper and with extra/less features.

It looks like a freaking toy. And I hope they open source the hardware design, so we can make it for cheaper and with extra/less features.

Mass production makes things cheaper. You would not be able to build one from their designs for $100.

Read the attached article. They are planning to use linux. They say the reason is becuase other software has become too fat and unrelieable. (BIG smile) That should be fun to play with if they can really do it.

Why couldnt they do it? You have to realise, these people have probably never used a computer before, they will learn what they have, they dont care about linux, bsd, or windows.

Will this product simply create a generation of kids with really bad eyestrain?

Yes, in developing countries, eyestrain is a HUGE issue. Famine, AIDS, and disease are all kind of just big annoyances.

The specs for this laptop seem really good. A colour screen - that also switches to Black & White to be readable in the sun. 500MHz processor. Rugged. Redundant Flash Memory. 4 USB Ports. Possibly hand-powered. Linux.

The laptop that I'm using now (and it isn't mine) is a 333MHz P2. It more than satisfies all my needs (word processing/internet-surfing/mail/ssh-ing/watch-movies/play-music). I can see this being sort of a downer for those who require it to do some 3D Animation rendering, video editing, etc. But for anything else, this is more than enough.

As a physical geographer, this would be perfect to bring on the field.

I'd like one just to have for a secondary laptop. When I first saw irongeek with two laptops I sneered, but the next flight I was on I wanted two.... If they were cheap I'd buy em, and if this guy wants to succeed in business he should sell to everyone, not just governments.

Its not their goal to make money... Besides the article says they may offer laptops for regular sale for a higher price (~$200), with then a portion of each of those sales going to fund the laptops for the underprivledged.

Its running a light version of linux.....

and its meant for being mass produced for those you cannot afford shit and 3rd world countries...read it from the mit site

I read about this awhile ago.

What is the $100 Laptop, really?

The proposed $100 machine will be a Linux-based, full-color, full-screen laptop that will use innovative power (including wind-up) and will be able to do most everything except store huge amounts of data. These rugged laptops will be WiFi- and cell phone-enabled, and have USB ports galore. Its current specifications are: 500MHz, 1GB, 1 Megapixel.

Obtained from http://laptop.media.mit.edu

Looks too funny for me......Toyish...

Its a tablet as well huh...interesting

Personally I wouldnt like this especially because it draws too much attention ..when you are ..you know doing stuff at public places....and the design looks like a cartoon to me

I'd like one just to have for a secondary laptop. When I first saw irongeek with two laptops I sneered, but the next flight I was on I wanted two.... If they were cheap I'd buy em, and if this guy wants to succeed in business he should sell to everyone, not just governments.

When did you see me with two laptops? Oh, by the way:

laptops1.jpg

laptops2.jpg

Ok, two of them flat out don't work. Two are ancient (486 and a 68K Motorola based Mac). The other five work, but mostly I only use three of them (as seen in the upcoming Hack TV I hope).

if u want to get rid of any of those, i will be happy to be your dumpster.

By the way, who cares what the 100 dollar laptop runs??? I mean there are calculators more expensive than that , which are required for school! Which would you pick a 100 laptop or a 86 dollar TI-83+??? I'd sure as hell chose the laptop any day. At least you get color!

+Cypress

My take on it is that if it is fast enough and has a network connection so I can run SSH, a web server, Nmap and maybe Kismet I'd pick one up.

That's because Irongeek pwns.

:)

I work for a university, some of them ar hand-me-downs and a few I got because folks just gave them to me after I helped them set up their new laptops.

I work for a university, some of them ar hand-me-downs and a few I got because folks just gave them to me after I helped them set up their new laptops.

:lol: I am the same way as Iron Geek .. Ihave three desktops that run ... Uhh Well I guess, but I pick them up, clean them up, make sure I reinstall the os, and sell them for a little more, and just keep flipping them!

I have my Compaq Armada, a couple Dell Insiron, 3 oldskool IBMs, and a few of the older Toshibas, Phat suckers! But I like to keep a little around for memory sake! I will take a few pictures when I get things in order!

As far a Cell Phones Go, Hell I have a whole boat load of them!

Cell Phones For every occasion! So if you might need one .. let me know and I will get back to you and see what can be arranged! :grr: