st0rm

Sandisk Announced Anti-piracy Memory Chip

6 posts in this topic

Submitted by Forcefire

Sandisk unveiled the a new memory chip, contained on a storage card, which features a built-in security that prevents illegal copying. The TrustedFlash Micro SD memory cards could enable strict controls on intellectual property and at the same time, easy transfering of digital content to be to cell phones, music players, computers and other gadgets.

The TrustedFlash MicroSD memory cards were showcased at the CTIA Wireless IT and Entertainment tradeshow in San Francisco.

The storage cards include embedded digital rights management (DRM) and decryption technology, as well as a subscription manager allowing them to be used for digital music and subscription music services.

The company stated that music producers and movie studios will be able to release premium content on TrustedFlash products. Consumers will be able to download premium content from online digital music services through their mobile phone or PC. They?ll also be able to purchase pre-recorded content on SanDisk?s new grūvi cards, the first product to be released with TrustedFlash.

Today, much of a consumer's digital content is held hostage on a particular kind of device, such as an iPod or a PC, because that is the only way to prevent massive piracy. But with the SanDisk flash memory card, a consumer can move the digital content to another device. If the music company insists the data can only be copied five times, the memory card itself enforces that policy in the new device, be it a cell phone or music player.

SanDisk has persuaded some industry players to use 'gruvi,' which will be the brand name for TrustedFlash in the entertainment category.

The latest Rolling Stones album is scheduled for release in November in a format that holds four additional albums that can be unlocked after the consumer buys the music. The chip with the first album will sell for $39.95.

Among the music industry providers adopting it are EMI Group and Yahoo Music. Meanwhile, cell phone maker Samsung Mobile Communications, pay-TV company NDS, and portable video software company Packet Video are also supporting SanDisk's technology. Samsung's phones, for instance, can play music on the memory cards.

SanDisk will keep control of TrustedFlash for now, but said that it expects to open up the technology as it matures and gains support from the industry.

In a second phase planned for 2006, it is expected that TrustedFlash will also support mobile commerce applications and enable handsets to perform secure online financial transactions such as credit card payments, mass-transit access and one-time password authentication.

And it begins....

Submitted by Forcefire

Sandisk unveiled the a new memory chip, contained on a storage card, which features a built-in security that prevents illegal copying. The TrustedFlash Micro SD memory cards could enable strict controls on intellectual property and at the same time, easy transfering of digital content to be to cell phones, music players, computers and other gadgets.

The TrustedFlash MicroSD memory cards were showcased at the CTIA Wireless IT and Entertainment tradeshow in San Francisco.

edited severly by lunarsphere, and yes i know that how to spell severely or w/e

And it begins....

Why must it begin, it should never begin, it should end, NOW! Music was meant to be fucking heard not sold. If all these bitches whining about not making any money cause their albums were stolen, then how the fuck did america make it so far with out having to worry about the riaa and mpaa. What im saying is, why cant they just make lower prices on the damn cds, I mean I had an idea that would solve this, but ever since itunes was created, it kinda of seemed, pointless, no my idea wasnt like itunes, but was something offline, but better then columbia house, and better then itunes, The Music Vending Machine, a computer with tons of faucking songs, no better (sorry for the faucking, im playing a computer game and its the only way to get past the filter) hooked up to the internet so you could import songs to the device tempoarily then store them on a memory card. But I mean these would be cheap ass songs, 75 cents at the most. I mean, even though its still selling them, its a great price, and you could put a dollar in a machine, instead of a credit card. you know what I mean, oh and my copywright is currently still processing, im not telling yall the name of my product, cause then i would be stupid. anywho my def leppard album is skipping gotta go.

You know what's really silly? The Rolling Stones are practically giving away the songs online, and their new CD costs much less to produce (and subsequently retails for less) than the chip.

Why must it begin, it should never begin, it should end, NOW! Music was meant to be fucking heard not sold.

You will burn for saying that. Tell your favorite music group that their music isn't worth listening to. As it is, most of the popular bands don't even make enough money to live above the poverty line. The music industry does take away tons of their money, but stop being a ignorant idiot who just follows what everyone seems to think. Take a while and ponder what you say from now on, because what you just said was probably the stupidest thing I have heard today. Thanks for the laugh.

As for the anti-piracy, I could care less. We will find a way around it, so whats the big deal? I guess I will be buying music less often. Luckily I listen to the classics. Half-Price Books and Goodwill, here I come.

Edited by Perf-149

Isn't this the type of system used in Japan for the software/movie vending machines that either give you a new sd/cf/xd/etc cards or uses your old one?

And this trusted platform thing is like paladin, but unless the files/software turn on drm, I doubt it will really bother anyone. And people would have to buy these new cards to be able to be locked out of uses.

oh and my copywright is currently still processing

Do you mean you are processing a Registered Trademark? You dont need to register anything for copyright law to take affect. Or do you mean a Patent?