Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
R08M4N

DVR

5 posts in this topic

i want a DVR like tivo but they cost alot of money and i dont want to pay monthly :cry: so what i am asking is, is there a DVR (perferably one that you can record one chanel and wach another) thats around 150 dollars. I have also thought about making my computer into a DVR (i have herd of people that have done it) if anyone has any information that would be great :help:

thx

I haven't build my own but here are some links to look into that turn a computer running linux into a DVR.

http://www.mythtv.org/

http://freevo.sourceforge.net/

http://www.mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html

As I understand it, if you want to record multiple channels at a time you need multiple tv tuners and cable inputs.

I have a TV card in my CPU and every now and then I'll record somethng with it, although usually it's not even connected. The quality I get is excellent, but as you said, you can only record/watch one thing at a time. However though with my card at least I can listen to the a radio station while recording (combo TV/Radio card). ATI makes a bunch of good TV cards and the come with a free service called Gem+ (I think that's what it's called) and it does what you pay tivo for, the times and channels of shows. However since I have a mom and pop cable company they don't have my listings.

-Dr^ZigMan

i have been looking over these but i just dont think its going to do what i want it to so i guess i am just going to have to buy a DVR

i recently turned a computer into a tivo

intel celeron 800 mhz

128 megs ram

30 gig hd

hauppauge video card

some linux distro thats pretty much only a media distro

like no real linux just a little media center

anyways... the thing was a success however, one of two things must be done

well... besides the obvious fact thta the hd space is far too low

so it works and all, but it is kind of (REEEAALLY)choppy, even at the lowest resolution... which looks like shit... this is because the particular TV tuner card by hauppague that i have is about 4-5 yrs old and does all of its encoding/decoding with software... obviously that software is going to suffer on a computer with 800 mhz celeron processor....... so what do i do?

upgrade the ram, and the processor? wwell thats option A

Option B: get a new TV card, one that does all of its operations solely in the hardware, this would allow the computer to take a chill pill and relax while all the crazy work is getting done before even going to the computer all it has to do is otput the signal onto the screen

well the computer was originally donated to me by a buddy of mine, (well the terms are not in concrete yet, he may want it back some day) and i do not feel like putting in any extra money to it i was just curious the difficulty of converting some old shitty comptuer to a tivo....

so there you have it

and of course 30 gigs is laughable when doing anything