Chrono

Getting Caught

31 posts in this topic

I was just wondering if any of y'all have gotten caught while doing something. Jjust getting caught while snooping around or anything, and left off with a warning. Did you learn anything from it? Did it stop you from learning more or did you keep on going just making sure you cover your tracks better?

I learned that when booting an OS off a cdrom drive, the drive can be noisy as hell, 'specially when your in a first period class or library.

I got caught at school playing with .bat files. I'm not going to finish the story.

I got caught... putting Notepad/Windows Accessories in my personal school folder.

That got me suspended from the computers for 6 months :lol:

Nah, never been caught doing something that I shouldn't have been thus far.

Though I did freak out the prof once by programming a power/data box to make nice LED patterns instead of actually working. :P

Edited by Seal

I *ALMOST* got caught at school wiping a harddrive of a computer. I didn't know MS DOS very well last year and my friend showed me this web comic on a school computer where one guy was like "How do I fix this?" and the other was like "type in 'deltree -y C:\'" or something like that. So we were arguing whether it worked or not. So the dumass opened up a command prompt and typed it in. And waddayaknow... it worked! Of course he failed to notice we are in a computer lab with all of the computers FACING THE FUCKING TEACHER! So I'm cussing him out for not just dropping it and how we are going to get in deep shit, and the teacher sees the newly hd wiped comp and comes up. We would have been in hella deep shit, but luckily we bullshitted about how we went to a site for our research on the Yakuza and it gave us a virus. Thank god he believed us :)

Not quite caught, but too close to it for comfort.

Busted in middle school when my friend and I were playing with NetBus (remember that leetness?). Year suspension from computers.

Busted again as a sophomore in HS when I found that Novell used Window's registry settings to keep us out of places, so I crafted my own .reg to give me permissions. Later found out Novell kept people that had logged on there with lots of keys. Copied the admin's keys to my name and got access to all the user management software. Got busted on a *.exe scan because I forgot to delete a program I made when I was learning "Hello world" shit in C++. Suspension for 1 day and no computers for another year.

Busted again as a sophomore in HS when I found that Novell used Window's registry settings to keep us out of places, so I crafted my own .reg to give me permissions.  Later found out Novell kept people that had logged on there with lots of keys.  Copied the admin's keys to my name and got access to all the user management software.  Got busted on a *.exe scan because I forgot to delete a program I made when I was learning "Hello world" shit in C++.  Suspension for 1 day and no computers for another year.

I bet you got upset when you realized what got you caught.

I have not got caught doing anything but i did have a friend who was dumb and got caught useing my login.

Our school had this security system for the mac and of course they didn't edit the default admin password, so i decided to create my own admin account with a user name of all spaces.(it showed up below all the other users in the list) I acctualy got an account on almost all of the computers when my friends dumbass got himself caught. He was made to remove the user account from all computers he had access to and then they made him a teachers assistant for the net admin of the school!

Damn dumbasses!

I did a lot of hacking from school. Not hacking the school exactly. When I was in school, we didn't have restrictive filters and uptight librarians.

I got caught for something lame way back.

Me an my partner used netsend in the computer lab. We wrote a batch file that would repeadetly send massages to this one friend. He had no idea what was going on. We got caught, but all the teacher said was: what the hell did you do that for?

Middle School...

I remember when a Cisco IOS exploit came out around...2 weeks before school let out for summer. I was in 8th grade at the time...and really didnt care for my school (I absolutely hated it). Well as you know...end of 8th grade everyone wants to do their so called "end of the year prank".

After reading up on the vuln, as well as Cisco Commands and Cisco ACL rules, I decided to be a smart ass for all the bullshit the school gave me...

--Two Weeks Later--

Last day of school came around, brought in my laptop. Port scanned their routers found out telnet is open... I was able to successfully exploit their router to find the hash, decrypted the hash, logged into the router through telnet. Basically I owned their systems...fucked around with their ACL's...Denied all HTTP, POP/SMTP and other traffic for important school functions...

Later on that day I was called to the office...yatta yatta yatta...after bullshit from the network admins, school admins, top-level county network admins, etc. I was let go on account of me showing them how to fix and secure their network...LOL

--

Those were the fun days in middle school, I always used to do alot of shit and got away with all of it...

Suspended for playing with email, banned from technology for a while. Plus other non-computer related incidents.

I do this all the time and the teachers in the school that see me doing it and breaking through the firewall respect me and wish I would tell them how to do it. The other day I had a teacher get mad cuz I used his login to make myself an admin....all he did was make me change myself to a normal user again and now he wont let me use his login...heh

Suspended for playing with email, banned from technology for a while. Plus other non-computer related incidents.

Well, since you mentioned email, I guess I'll tell mine that just recently happend.

I was using telnet and sent someone a fake email. Well, it turned out that they complained about me doing it and they traced it back to my login. Now I got to meet with the housing and residence life office.

Well, since you mentioned email, I guess I'll tell mine that just recently happend.

I was using telnet and sent someone a fake email. Well, it turned out that they complained about me doing it and they traced it back to my login. Now I got to meet with the housing and residence life office.

Unless the email was vulgar... What the hell?? :growl:

Spoofing ip address to get around being banned from a Direct Connect server in my school. Got like a week of no internet in my room.

Leason learned: Spoof Mac as well as Ip addresses in my school.

This was the year before they started linking macs to ips. Now you have to spoof MACs to get anything done, and you need to know a working MAC first (Not hard, just use netstat)

They also used to add room info to the ips.

Using dig would revel what room and building someone was in. Still works, but is no longer updated, so if someone changed rooms and building, you would still get last years info. Also could get the full anme by getting userinfo from the ssh server. That still works, even if most people have FirstinitialLastname usernames. JSmith etc.

Funny thing, they gave bullshit reasons on why I was banned from the net first. Too many collisions or something like that. Then after the second time, they said its because of spoofing. I still had comp lab access.

Most get busted when they start fucking with government shit. They have unlimited time and money to spend to catch you, not worth it if you ask me.

I didn't get caught doing it but at the end of my Junior year I edited autoex.bat and used "netsend" to display a message to every user connected. It was funny watching teachers click "ok" a couple thousand times. I finally told one of the teachers that she could just hold down the enter button to get rid of the messages quicker.

If I recall correctly; it was like 5,000 messages saying "Wouldn't you like to be a pepper too?".

Unless the email was vulgar... What the hell??  :growl:

Yeah, but the fact that she still complained is probably what got most people about it.

Wow. It sounds like school computers have changed... no more windows 3.1 :) Seriously, I feel so old reading this thread... hell, my typing class was on a manual typewriter (I did get in trouble for typing explitives on the black scroll with correction tape, w00t).

Wow. It sounds like school computers have changed... no more windows 3.1 :) Seriously, I feel so old reading this thread... hell, my typing class was on a manual typewriter (I did get in trouble for typing explitives on the black scroll with correction tape, w00t).

i kinda feel the same way, i will point out im not a hacker, more like a computer class clown, i would mess around with the macs, and windows 3.1 compys, and those old floppy disk green screen ibm computers, when i was in elementry school, the cool thing was our compys had lode runner on them =) Then again, the only thing i can remember every getting in trouble for, was showing some students and a teacher how to input some commands for something, and i told them to use the shift key, and the teacher was like "What the fuck did you just say" well not like that but you get the idea. So i told her, by raising the keyboard to her face and pointing"The shift key mrs. so and so" got sent to the time out chair, hey this was like 2nd or 3rd grade.

I still remember my typing class in 6th grade. We used old Apple II computers, if I recall. They may have been the IBM computers Lunarsphere was talking about. All I remember was that the text on the screen was green and it used the original floppy disks. Also, that I was always the first one done with my required typing. Man, I was fast back in the day!