st0rm

Car PC (automobile computer system)

17 posts in this topic

I have seen a lot of Windows based Car PC's all over (I had one in my car like 2years ago..) Anyway i was wondering if any of you are familiar with Linux Based Car PC's ..maybe linux and windows dual boot.....

Mainly for the following uses:

*Remote surveillence/monitoring

*Wireless hotspot connectivity (download while driving?lol)

*GPS <=must have

*Games (Audio hooked up to car system)

*Engine/Car electronics monitor? maybe

*Secure Email..

*Just to name a few...etc..

Post your Ideas on this ..its quite interesting

the only thing that keeping linux off of mine is a good gps/navigation program. i need to test some of them in wine, but i havent dont yet. i am getting the last bit for it today and i will have an infonomicon tv segment done pretty soon.

the only thing that keeping linux off of mine is a good gps/navigation program.  i need to test some of them in wine, but i havent dont yet.  i am getting the last bit for it today and i will have an infonomicon tv segment done pretty soon.

Why not run linux embedded into windows then?

Yeah I was just about to say Droops has a car (truck) PC on infonomicon 2. It runs Windows XP though IIRC. Like he said, I've heard him say he was working on a new Infonomicon TV segment on that PC before, so there should be that for you to sooner or later.

Contact psypete from FL2600.com (and he's on here). He's built a linux based car PC.

Yeah I was just about to say Droops has a car (truck) PC on infonomicon 2. It runs Windows XP though IIRC. Like he said, I've heard him say he was working on a new Infonomicon TV segment on that PC before, so there should be that for you to sooner or later.

Just finished watching infonomicon2 Its pretty much the same type ive used except his is ALOT bigger....I guess if you were to dual boot linux /windows you will need to carry a keyboard to input data into linux right? since the touchscreen would probably not work with it....

just to toss my post in here, i have a linux based carpc. EPIA 800 board, Cisco AIR-LMC350 (pcmcia card in a PCI carrier), a FM tuner, and a garmin GPS-16. there is a 8 inch touch screen in the dash, a remote for controling things such as audio ect, and a wireless keyboard with a trackball in it.

i used debian for it, boots off a 40gb laptop hdd, i cant remember the interface software i used, but i hacked it up some, basicly, i replaced the radio in the car with this, lets me listen to the radio or play mp3s/cds ect. i run kismet in the background to log all the nice APs around, and GPSdrive is what i use for mapping. granted, its not on the level of streets and trips, where it cant give you turn by turn directions, but it works for what i want.

currently in the works is a OBDii interface, so i can keep a eye on stuff thats not in the dash.

if you have any questions, feel free to post em, ill answer the best i can.

if you have any questions, feel free to post em, ill answer the best i can.

Interesting...Can you play good quality video as well (Divx, etc..) and the touch screen works fine? I guess linux would run a lot faster than windows..but if i cant get a standalone linux carpc system I'll proly dual boot linux/windows and use windows for Media/entertainment/GPS mostly...

Also, any one know of any GPS base Anti-Theft Alert systems that you could intergrate with the system ? so it'll like alert it to your cellphone/pager?

P.S: It would be great if you could post some pictures of your rig. thanks

i think it would be ideal to use one of those shuttle boxes... the cute little computer cubes... yea that would GREATLY decrease the size of the beast in your car, HOWEVER, GREATLY INCREASE the frustration when you have to open it up and do ANYTHING!!! man i rocked one of these for like a year and a half (not carpc just regular type) and at first i loved it but towards the end after switching hard drvies/ram/whatever here and there and it turning into an all day thing cuz u have to take out EVERYTHING to get access to certain things, .... finally i was almost HAPPY when the motherboard fried and i had to get a new real sized tower... luckly nothing else got fried so a quick reinstall to introduce the new motherboard to its neighboring hardware :)

i think it would be ideal to use one of those shuttle boxes... the cute little computer cubes... yea that would GREATLY decrease the size of the beast in your car, HOWEVER, GREATLY INCREASE the frustration when you have to open it up and do ANYTHING!!! man i rocked one of these for like a year and a half (not carpc just regular type) and at first i loved it but towards the end after switching hard drvies/ram/whatever here and there and it turning into an all day thing cuz u have to take out EVERYTHING to get access to certain things, .... finally i was almost HAPPY when the motherboard fried and i had to get a new real sized tower... luckly nothing else got fried so a quick reinstall to introduce the new motherboard to its neighboring hardware :)

Shuttle PC's wouldnt work ..I am thinking , because of In car conditions such as: Extreme (sometimes) Vibrations/Bumps/shakes..... Sudden Temperature Changes //veryhot/verycold....sunlight, dust etc...

Would there be damage done overtime if you leave your car locked in the sun for a good 3 hours..while everythings burnin inside? I need to get/build a carpc that will withstand these conditions

the shuttle PC is not the best optioin for a car.

your best bet, is to get a mini-ITX board, which is 170mm by 170mm

i use the epia-800 which is a 800mhz c3 chip. has svideo and composate out along with normal VGA

onboard lan, onboard audio VT1612A AC'97 (works under alsa), serial, and all the other goodies.

then, get yourself a case designed for car computers. i use the VroomPC case, its a nice case, has room for the board, a laptop hdd, and the PSU inside it.

The psu is another thing, dont just throw some shitty PSU ment for home use in your car computer, you will regret it. insted, get one designed for use in cars. i use a 90w psu, and it works like a champ. if you have a sub or something in your car, your wise to put a nice big cap in the power feed to it, to avoid it shutting down.

and to answer the question, yes, the system plays video rather well, and the touch screen rocks, i use a Lilliput touch screen (model # 809GL-80NP). works like a champ with the kernel module provided by the supplier.

Of course, you could check the www.mp3car.com website that has more people and far more information than BR has.

the shuttle PC is not the best optioin for a car.

your best bet, is to get a mini-ITX board, which is 170mm by 170mm

i use the epia-800 which is a 800mhz c3 chip. has svideo and composate out along with normal VGA

onboard lan, onboard audio  VT1612A AC'97 (works under alsa), serial, and all the other goodies.

then, get yourself a case designed for car computers.  i use the VroomPC case, its a nice case, has room for the board, a laptop hdd, and the PSU inside it.

The psu is another thing, dont just throw some shitty PSU ment for home use in your car computer, you will regret it.  insted, get one designed for use in cars.  i use a 90w psu, and it works like a champ.  if you have a sub or something in your car, your wise to put a nice big cap in the power feed to it, to avoid it shutting down.

and to answer the question, yes, the system plays video rather well, and the touch screen rocks, i use a Lilliput touch screen (model # 809GL-80NP).  works like a champ with the kernel module provided by the supplier.

Thanks alot for the info....helps alot!, Also, how much total did you spend on your system? and are you familiar with security modules/addons that you could intergrate with the system ? (remote car-theft attempt alert etc....plus I wouldnt want some nut breaking in to the car and jacking the computer!)

Thanks again

P.S: It would be great if you could post some pictures of your rig

droops, did you try out the thing that Eric S. Raymond wrote? I just remember hearing it on The Linux Link Tech Show.

i saw something somewhere that hooked in via USB, and provided relays so you could control power locks/windows/alarm system. if you think about it, if you can brew it up with serial or usb, you can do it, its a fully working computer.

The board will set you back 80-100 bucks

case is like 75 bucks.

the psu (dont cheap out on this) get the M1-ATX 90w 80 bucks.

the ram - free, had it layin around from a old system.

hdd - free, old laptop hdd

touch screen - 250-300 bucks

your gonna have misc cable ect.

but that should give you a idea on the price.

i saw something somewhere that hooked in via USB, and provided relays so you could control power locks/windows/alarm system.  if you think about it, if you can brew it up with serial or usb, you can do it, its a fully working computer.

The board will set you back 80-100 bucks

case is like 75 bucks.

the psu (dont cheap out on this) get the M1-ATX 90w 80 bucks.

the ram - free, had it layin around from a old system.

hdd - free, old laptop hdd

touch screen - 250-300 bucks

your gonna have misc cable ect.

but that should give you a idea on the price.

Are you sure it was usb? Because I would assume that car relays would be powered offa 12v, why drop the voltage just for the relays and make a even more complicated electrical system then needed? Maybe it was parralel (or serial, i forget which ran offa 12v)? Or Firewire?