kahless720

Satellite Hacking

44 posts in this topic

Reading this whole thread really makes me meg curious about satellite stuff. Can some one point me into the right direction on learning stuff like this?

My crime is that of curiosity

I know what you mean!

I know it's like a month on but I thought I'd also chime in here there is a little more to it than just broadband sat's etc etc you sometimes can get unencrypted military downlinks coming through sat tv dish's like hotbird etc etc and there is the UHF satcoms where you can pick up people having conversations and sometimes the DTMF that they dialled with each other as for the inmarsat stuff yes it is mostly unencrypted but they are thinking of transitioning over to digital equipment leaving the analouge inmarsat's up until they decay so that could possibly lead to a free for all to get started you need a scanner to receive voice and a a decent aerial I personally use a 90cm dish with a 4 turn helix mounted on a tripod however there are a number of different antenna types to try including the slinky helix and other types of helix there are a number of different sat's to watch and listen, sometimes you will catch them being abused (the brazilian pirates) to tell you the truth stealing sat tv is lame anyway fine you get free tv but to tell you the truth it's the same a red boxing "Toll Fraud is Lame" anyways if you are that interested here is a few inmarsat freq's to get you started

Position Freq Modulation

15.5w

Inmarsat 1537.750 Inmarsat TDM channel

3F2 1544.500 SAREX downlink

1575.420 Egnos overlay downlink

1535.425 Analogue voice channel

1535.450 Analogue voice channel

1535.475 Analogue voice channel

1535.500 Analogue voice channel

1535.525 Analogue voice channel

1538.450 Analogue voice channel

1539.875 Analogue voice channel

1540.050 Analogue voice channel

1540.975 Analogue voice channel

1541.025 Analogue voice channel

1541.200 Analogue voice channel

1541.225 Analogue voice channel

Thats l33t! Got any sweet tuts or web sites with more info? I searched google for "Scanning Satellite Signals" but didn't find anything to interesting.

I know it's like a month on but I thought I'd also chime in here there is a little more to it than just broadband sat's etc etc you sometimes can get unencrypted military downlinks coming through sat tv dish's like hotbird etc etc and there is the UHF satcoms where you can pick up people having conversations and sometimes the DTMF that they dialled with each other as for the inmarsat stuff yes it is mostly unencrypted but they are thinking of transitioning over to digital equipment leaving the analouge inmarsat's up until they decay so that could possibly lead to a free for all to get started you need a scanner to receive voice and a a decent aerial I personally use a 90cm dish with a 4 turn helix mounted on a tripod however there are a number of different antenna types to try including the slinky helix and other types of helix there are a number of different sat's to watch and listen, sometimes you will catch them being abused (the brazilian pirates) to tell you the truth stealing sat tv is lame anyway fine you get free tv but to tell you the truth it's the same a red boxing "Toll Fraud is Lame" anyways if you are that interested here is a few inmarsat freq's to get you started

Position Freq Modulation

15.5w

Inmarsat 1537.750 Inmarsat TDM channel

3F2 1544.500 SAREX downlink

1575.420 Egnos overlay downlink

1535.425 Analogue voice channel

1535.450 Analogue voice channel

1535.475 Analogue voice channel

1535.500 Analogue voice channel

1535.525 Analogue voice channel

1538.450 Analogue voice channel

1539.875 Analogue voice channel

1540.050 Analogue voice channel

1540.975 Analogue voice channel

1541.025 Analogue voice channel

1541.200 Analogue voice channel

1541.225 Analogue voice channel

Thats l33t! Got any sweet tuts or web sites with more info? I searched google for "Scanning Satellite Signals" but didn't find anything to interesting.

type into google "uhf satcoms" "c-band" "ka-band" "ku-band" and look for something called hearsat it's a forum for people who regularly listen into sat coms it's very interesting! also try http://www.g6lvb.com the dude is a radio ham in the UK who does primarily in Ham Sat's he has got a number of different antenna types including a converted 60cm sat tv dish and a brolly dish I intend to make the umbrella dish soon cos it looks damn cool

Edited by radio_phreak

In addition it's also called "War Tracking" I remember some dude wetting himself on a page cos he decoded a weather satellite on APT you can find Weather Sat's between 137.0000 and 138.0000 it's hard to pick them up where I live I am near the paging base station which operates on 137.9750 so that creates a lot of interference :P

Here's an interesting 'tutorial' on a South African forum

Anyone read the story of captain midnight? It's quite a good read.

Here's an interesting 'tutorial' on a South African forum

Anyone read the story of captain midnight? It's quite a good read.

Good link mate, I honestly didnt know about that hack, but then once you have done that what can you do? seriously? :ninja:

As a small follow on to someone's question about abandoned satellite's I believe INMARSAT are going to abandoning the INMARSAT A NFM series of satellite's and there are no plans to sell them to anyone so who knows the possibility's?

As a small follow on to someone's question about abandoned satellite's I believe INMARSAT are going to abandoning the INMARSAT A NFM series of satellite's and there are no plans to sell them to anyone so who knows the possibility's?

Even better, what about Iridium? They're already up there but just burning fuel.

Now that's a waste of resources.

Even better, what about Iridium? They're already up there but just burning fuel.

There is still some usage of them it's mainly data stuff now a day's but if they are planning on abandoning them doesnt that mean that anyone can use them?

When it comes to the whole SATCOM monitoring/hacking thing, the Euros are significantly ahead of the US. Monitoring Times and Popular Communications magazines used to have articles on monitoring SATCOM stuff, especially for VHF/UHF and L band stuff that you could pick up with a high-end communications receiver, then around the early-mid 1990s they stopped doing articles of that nature. There was even a book pubished called Hidden Signals on Satellite TV (ISBN 0916661040) that talked about some of the more esoteric stuff out there.

There is Tele-Satellite International Magazine, which I have seen at local bookstores and just recently discovered can be downloaded in PDF off their website. They used to have a writer called "Dr. Dish" who put out some interesting material. Unfortunately, his orignal website with all the good articles has went away. Still available on the Wayback Machine though.

As far as hardware goes, you'e best bet is look for the old-school stuff and "test equipment" through used equipment sources. All the modern consumer-grade stuff looks to be too crippled for experimentation purposes for the most part.

There is still some usage of them it's mainly data stuff now a day's but if they are planning on abandoning them doesnt that mean that anyone can use them?

Guess I was wrong. http://www.iridium.com/ is still up. Apparently they were bought up and are doing fine now. You can even get prepaid phones with them.

I'd agree, there's not nearly enough stuff done in these areas. Gotta be a hack somewhere for this and Inmarsat. Tho, if one really wants to, they can phreak a marine operator to making a call.

I am new to this forum ,.. and soo amazed too seee al the things u guys talk abt in here.. How come i never see this before.. Sttellite hacks are awesome.. I wanna know some tooo

When it comes to the whole SATCOM monitoring/hacking thing, the Euros are significantly ahead of the US. Monitoring Times and Popular Communications magazines used to have articles on monitoring SATCOM stuff, especially for VHF/UHF and L band stuff that you could pick up with a high-end communications receiver, then around the early-mid 1990s they stopped doing articles of that nature. There was even a book pubished called Hidden Signals on Satellite TV (ISBN 0916661040) that talked about some of the more esoteric stuff out there.

There is Tele-Satellite International Magazine, which I have seen at local bookstores and just recently discovered can be downloaded in PDF off their website. They used to have a writer called "Dr. Dish" who put out some interesting material. Unfortunately, his orignal website with all the good articles has went away. Still available on the Wayback Machine though.

As far as hardware goes, you'e best bet is look for the old-school stuff and "test equipment" through used equipment sources. All the modern consumer-grade stuff looks to be too crippled for experimentation purposes for the most part.

Thats for dropping those links! Im definately going to research more on this topic and hopefully write up an article for 2600 or most likely BinRev Mag.

Long time lurker, first time posting.

I'm amazed that no one mentions FTA (free-to-air) satellite hacking. These receivers were used back in the days for those huge metal dish that sat in people's backyards. But lately, people have found a way to hack them to receive dish network signals (and many more). I've been doing it for almost two years now. I started out, and still have, a Pansat 2500; it works great but there are much better receivers now. I'm currently testing out a coolsat 5000 plat from a friend, this receiver is much better. The actual channel listing (EPG) actually works; it shows all the current shows. Unlike the one on my pansat, which doesn't do jack. Pansat also sucks now because the creator of the receiver started to send out scripts to kill their receivers. (ironic)

The receivers run about 150 to 200 bucks on ebay, local swap meet or flea market, classified ads (craigslist). Then you pick up a directv or dish network 18" circular (this can receive up to two sat with a small mod) or 24" oval dish (this dish can receive up to 4 satellites on one dish) (also make sure they're not DISH Pro500 LNB) (LNB are the things at the end of the dish). Aim the dish to the desired satellite in space, hook up the wires to the receiver. Then program the receiver from your computer via serial cable. It's very simple to program too: just find the latest bin people have created, and find a current channel list. Upload both and you're good to go. ViewSAT is the best I’m hearing right now, but I’ve never got a change to test drive one of those.

My setup: coolsat 5000 plat, 24" oval dish with two LNB, one pointed to 110 and 119. I only program my receiver when it gets hit, average around every 4 months or when a huge sporting events show up haha. But sometimes when it does get hit, it's just a simple key change.

al7bar.tk is the forums I use for FTA files and info.

As of right now, some ppv dont work. Must be some channel frequency change. I haven't looked on any other forums yet about this; maybe i'll get to it tomorrow.

If you must start hacking now, I suggest a coolsat 5000 plat receiver. if you do somehow end up getting a pansat 2500/2700, make sure it's not a fake. there are tons of clones/fakes out there that hardly works.

If you guys are interested, ask any quesitons and i'll try to answer them. I have more links for more files ;)

edit: opps, is this in the right location? maybe It should be in its own thread? I don't know =\

Would you happen to know what size dish I would need for FTA??? I know you said a 18" - 24" dish.. But I live in Alaska and I'm not sure if I'd need to step up the dish size to be able to get a good signal.

Edited by \h3x

Thats for dropping those links! Im definately going to research more on this topic and hopefully write up an article for 2600 or most likely BinRev Mag.

Do it for both. Why the hell not? There is definitely a need for some up-to-date, accurate information on this topic.

On a related note, I came across some information about 2.4 GHz. hamsats and downconverters to receive them on 2m SSB rigs.

http://9z4bm.tripod.com/id18.html

http://www.ultimatecharger.com/dish.html

http://k5gna.com/

Im a complete noob to sat hacking, but correct me if i am wroung, you can have some fun with satillites when you connect the dish thourgh the computer? If so this is very intresting to me. A good tut for this would be cool.

Hi all new here stumbled across this site while bored at work though this thread was interesting, and wanted to post some info.

Pansat also sucks now because the creator of the receiver started to send out scripts to kill their receivers. (ironic)

This is not true, a certain coder well known in the FTA/hacking scene wrote bins to kill pansat clones.

Aim the dish to the desired satellite in space, hook up the wires to the receiver. Then program the receiver from your computer via serial cable. It's very simple to program too: just find the latest bin people have created, and find a current channel list. Upload both and you're good to go. ViewSAT is the best I’m hearing right now, but I’ve never got a change to test drive one of those.

You can’t really just aim at any satellite, the FTA hacks you are talking about will only work on Echostar/Nimiq, they broadcast DVB circular, also the DP500 will work you just need to mess with it more. Viewsat is not necessarily the best. But does have the best support. There are other open source receivers out there that would be better, for someone who really likes to tinker with stuff, like the triple dragon.

I also realize that the time of this post is from back in June, FTA receivers are down now and only Viewsat receivers have a bin out, other options include a whole range of FTA receivers with card readers, you either have to add, or build yourself. You also will need a ROM102/103 card, ISO programmer, reader. Neosat is using IKS, which I don’t particularily trust, as you need to have your receiver connected to an internet connection 24/7 to receive TV.

Would you happen to know what size dish I would need for FTA??? I know you said a 18" - 24" dish.. But I live in Alaska and I'm not sure if I'd need to step up the dish size to be able to get a good signal.

This depends on what you want to do, do you want to pirate DN/B3V or do true FTA, if you are doing true FTA visit lyngsat to see whats out there. Also you want to look around for a dish azimuth/elevation calculator, to make sure you can hit the FTA satellites. For true FTA I would recommend a 33 inch dish with a motor, and a couple universal LNB’s. (Ones that receiver Circular and Linear Signals.)

If you just want to pirate DN/B3V then you just need a run of the mill 18 inch dish one pointed at echostar , with a dual circular LNB skewed, to get 110/119, and one dish pointed at nimiq. With a Viewsat receiver, and the right bin loaded you will get all channels on those sats. Mind you just because Viewsat was first out of the gates to release a cardless fix after about 2 months of downtime, it doesn’t mean you should avoid any other receivers, (Neusat, Coolsat etc) they will surely follow suit after reverse engineering the code. Always remember that if you are going to get into this it should be regarded as a hobby, the 200$ receiver you buy today could become a 10 cent doorstop tomorrow.

If you would like a list of channels that can be hacked using the right setup go here

B3V http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/expressvu1.html

DN http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/dish110.html

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/dish119.html

True FTA (Legal Free To Air satellite broadcast)

http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-States.html

Im a complete noob to sat hacking, but correct me if i am wroung, you can have some fun with satillites when you connect the dish thourgh the computer? If so this is very intresting to me. A good tut for this would be cool.

Yes you can do this with a DVB/PCI card like a twinhan, I own a couple of them, they are relatively cheap and have been worth every penny. If you are running windows based, I would suggested getting an application called MyTheatre which will cost you a one time licence fee, but is totally worth the cost, its really great software. There is also progdvb. *Nix based you can go with MythTV, which is truly the most amazing app I have ever toyed with.

A lone buccaneer raises his cutlass against

the scurvy dogs of the vast, left-wing media conspiracy. Yarr

~/mythtv-source

unzip sasc-0.3.99a.tar.zip

tar -xf sasc-0.3.99a.tar

copy myth_sasc.patch into mythtv source directory

cd mythtv directory

patch -p0 < myth_sasc.patch

cd libs/libmythtv/FFdecsa

edit Makefile for your CPU

make

./FFdecsa_test

check out put for corrects

cd to sasc-0.3.99a

make

su root

cp sasc /usr/bin

exit

cd mythtv source directory

edit settings.pro

march=athlon-xp (or your CPU)

# DVB support

CONFIG += using_dvb

DEFINES += USING_DVB

# Note: INCLUDEPATH should point to the directory with

# 'linux/dvb/frontend.h', not the directory with frontend.h

# Note: This _must not_ be your linux kernel source includes. Copy the dvb

# includes into a separate directory for now.

INCLUDEPATH += /usr/src/dvb-kernel/linux/include (this assumes you have followed the VDR how-to)

#define the following if you want On Air Guide information

DEFINES += USING_DVB_EIT

# Native ALSA support

CONFIG += using_alsa

ALSA_LIBS = -lasound

# Native lirc support

CONFIG += using_lirc

LIRC_LIBS = -llirc_client

# XvMC support, modify as necessary.

CONFIG += using_xvmc

DEFINES += USING_XVMC

EXTRA_LIBS += -lXvMCNVIDIA -lXvMC

./configure

qmake mythtv.pro

make

su root

make install

mysql_install_db (gentoo specific)

/etc/init.d/mysql start

rc-update add mysql default

env-update

source /etc/profile

cd database

mysql < mc.sql

exit

mysql -u root mythconverg

grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"192.168.0.%" identified by "mythtv"; (this allows access from frontends on my network change accordingly)

flush privileges;

exit

cd setup

./setup

Go through steps in order to set things up.

1. General - You can basically take the defaults here. I did set my IP address and pointed the recording and buffer directories to /video/mythtv.

2. Capture Cards - Set up your card. Basically all you need to do is change the card type to DVB. As long as you have drivers loaded it should find your card automatically. You should also define your switch here if you use one.

3. Video sources - You need to have a source for each satellite you intend to use. Basically all you are doing is creating a label. Don't worry about the datadirect info.

4. Input connections - Here you need to tie the input source to a port on your switch. Set the LOFSW=0 LOF low=11250000 LOF high=11250000. Uncheck the Free to air only box. Set the starting channel to 213. That's NASA on 119. That should get you an easy channel to start

5. Channel editor - Scan sats for channels. Use 1 freq (12370000) and symbol rate (20000000) from a transponder file for the sat you're looking at. Those given should work for 119, 110, 92 and, 81 no matter where you are. The rest will be found in scan. DN scan went well other than it scans the spot beam transponders multiple times. Bev took some playing with FEC values. Change the transponders that won't lock to 5/6.

Set up the mysql database for sasc.

mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg

insert into settings set value="ExternalCamApp", data="sasc";

exit

We need to get the softcam and rom files in the right place.

cd ~/.mythtv

mkdir externcam_0

copy SoftCam.Key file into externcam_0

mkdir nagra

copy rom files into nagra directory

Fire up the backend. It should tune to NASA 213. If not change your starting channel in setup. You should also see the usual SC messages about loading keys etc mixed in with Myth's output.

If that goes well fire up the frontend and you should be able to watch TV. At this point there are no frills. We'll get to that later. woot !!!!!!

ps. truefta is still wide open but bev and dicknet your going to need a rom 102card and iso programmer !

all bins are out at the moment except on viewsats , bins for other STB's should be out again soon !

Edited by mononukeleosis

hai this is dannie if you dont mind could you explain me about satellite internet hacking. i am ready to buy all the stuffs needed to do it .....will you help me??????