greyarea

WARNING WARNING WARNING

46 posts in this topic

DO NOT DIAL *8808 on any of the verizon payphones for it will Update the software in the phones and block a certin fearness from that phone, it has already started and almost everything has died. Do not reply to this asking what the hell I'm talking about for I don't know either... JUst don't dial *8808 if you want dial *test for the coin test or any of the other codes just don't update the software.

fjear

where did you get this information?

Thats what *8808 does, it sends out an update when dialed after connecting to the preprogramed number for the update via modem.

And the update isn't a good one, that is all.

where did you get this information?

Thats what *8808 does, it sends out an update when dialed after connecting to the preprogramed number for the update via modem.

And the update isn't a good one, that is all.

Now everyone's going to go out and dial *8808 just to see what it does. LOL It's kind of like saying, "Don't think about God."

Well then tell us the code for the coin test. :P

Well then tell us the code for the coin test.  :P

"JUst don't dial *8808 if you want dial *test for the coin test"

Take greyarea's advice and head his warning, if you are a true phone phreak. There is something special about the Verizown payphones, but if you dial *8808 it will update the firmware to take that specialness away. Many phreaks know what we're talking about... phreaks don't let phreaks dial *8808 or something.

i figured it would happen sooner or later. :teeth:

Take greyarea's advice and head his warning, if you are a true phone phreak.  There is something special about the Verizown payphones, but if you dial *8808 it will update the firmware to take that specialness away.  Many phreaks know what we're talking about... phreaks don't let phreaks dial *8808 or something.

That isn't phreaking, that's just toll fraud. So FOAD. :nono:

Also, you're quite brilliant for posting something here that you don't want people to do.

Now everyone is going to dial it anyway because nobody knows what it is. So essentially, you just killed it. :)

Edited by darkslider

That isn't phreaking, that's just toll fraud. So FOAD.  :nono:

Hey! That's my line!

Only dicks and retards are going to press *8808. If greyarea said it's not a good idea to press it, then it's probably not a good idea to press it. You've got to be a real dick to do it just to spite him, or real stupid guy who doesn't understand what, "no" means.

Now did I want it to get updated by people going out to dial it because I mentioned it or did I want to really keep it open and not have the problem corrected...?

Thats a greyarea :)

i assume that an error 29 or 56 means the phone has been reprogrammed?

NO those arent the phones were talking about, these are hybrids, smartphones if you most controlled by software and the real CO dialtone cannot dial any numbers other than tollfree and they have services setup with other companies to provied them with service via a toll gateway, they also can go thru operator trunks when placing intralata calls. Their all getting updated anyways remotley so this message doesnt really matter.

late

greyarea i think that if you call a number within that CO or maybe close to that CO, that the call gets placed directly instead of through the gateway. That happened to me before. Ever hear of that?

greyarea i think that if you call a number within that CO or maybe close to that CO, that the call gets placed directly instead of through the gateway. That happened to me before. Ever hear of that?

Numbers called within the LATA either hit ACTS, or for local calls, are places based on ground check.

When calling a regional long distance call it will go thru an operator trunk, all other calls local and LD will go thru the "Toll gateway", because you don't get the ACTS prompt for local calls. And to be able to get local calls going thru an Operator trunk you would need to call the operator and have them place the call for you however the hybrids don't allow you to call a real operator. And before you say "well you can get by that by dialing 1167 or *67, tell me where so I can see because that shit never works for me to get an operator. I can only get a real op when dialing from real acts phones that has no software involved.

Oh and ** just gives you the dialtone back but what that does is skips the recording after you dialed. You know " thank you for choosing verizown" or any of the other recorded messages played by the software in the phones.

Royal: you ever get that CPN readback from #ani# ?

Would there be any way to snarf the patch that is sent to the phone, maybe with a laptop connected to the wire pair? This might be impossible, I'm not sure how the new Verizon phones work. It's an interesting thing to think about, though...

Take greyarea's advice and head his warning, if you are a true phone phreak.  There is something special about the Verizown payphones, but if you dial *8808 it will update the firmware to take that specialness away.  Many phreaks know what we're talking about... phreaks don't let phreaks dial *8808 or something.

That isn't phreaking, that's just toll fraud. So FOAD. :nono:

Also, you're quite brilliant for posting something here that you don't want people to do.

Now everyone is going to dial it anyway because nobody knows what it is. So essentially, you just killed it. :)

First of all I just caught this, yo man, your a friend of mine but you jumping the gun about tollfraud is pretty lame, noone mentioned anything about commiting tollfraud. You did. Second of all its how it is set-up is the phreaking part, and the funny part I might add. Anyone commiting tollfraud is up to them, their own decison, not phreaking in a whole. People going around trying to classify that shit is tollfraud and jumping to conclusions is pretty much just funny. Chill out noone is commiting the dame fraud and noone cares to, its not worth it, just read meh sig niggahs. :D

i think a few of us were just thinking of the wrong special hybrid feature. ;)

You Americans and your confusing payphones. Or maybe it's just confusing forums posts. Either way, I hope someone is going to post something in here to explain this:

When calling a regional long distance call it will go thru an operator trunk, all other calls local and LD will go thru the "Toll gateway", because you don't get the ACTS prompt for local calls. And to be able to get local calls going thru an Operator trunk you would need to call the operator and have them place the call for you however the hybrids don't allow you to call a real operator. And before you say "well you can get by that by dialing 1167 or *67, tell me where so I can see because that shit never works for me to get an operator. I can only get a real op when dialing from real acts phones that has no software involved.

Oh and ** just gives you the dialtone back but what that does is skips the recording after you dialed. You know " thank you for choosing verizown" or any of the other recorded messages played by the software in the phones.

and this:

Numbers called within the LATA either hit ACTS, or for local calls, are places based on ground check.

and this:

Because all of that is very confusing, coming from Canada, where our payphones are simple. And sentances short. :P

NO those arent the phones were talking about, these are hybrids, smartphones if you most controlled by software and the real CO dialtone cannot dial any numbers other than tollfree and they have services setup with other companies to provied them with service via a toll gateway, they also can go thru operator trunks when placing intralata calls. Their all getting updated anyways remotley so this message doesnt really matter.

late

i thought that you could do it on both types of phones. my mistake. i did play with some of the smartphones in washington dc. too bad about the update.

Is that why the payphones at 7-11 used to accept calls and now none of the Verizon hybrid's at 7-11's take incoming calls anymore? They ujsed to ring 4 times, now the modem picks up after one ring.

Is that why the payphones at 7-11 used to accept calls and now none of the Verizon hybrid's at 7-11's take incoming calls anymore? They ujsed to ring 4 times, now the modem picks up after one ring.

Oh my now its getting confusing, yours are Verizon COCOTS and they have a contract with 7-11 to have them installed, however they are the smartphones but not in verizown territory.

You Americans and your confusing payphones. Or maybe it's just confusing forums posts. Either way, I hope someone is going to post something in here to explain this:

and this:

and this:

Because all of that is very confusing, coming from Canada, where our payphones are simple. And sentances short. :P

Ok Royal has been working on a damn phile for a while now and he will have it out for you to better understand.

phreaking A!! canada

heh