Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
latiffs

OpenBSD is being a bitch

4 posts in this topic

I just installed OpenBSD yesterday. Ever since then i've been trying to get my atheros PCI wireless card to work. It's a DWL-G10 and has the AR5212 Chipset. And it says that the chipset is supported, yet my card does not show up when i do an ifconfig. It is in dmesg, but has no irq or anything like that. WTF! Why can't it get my card to work? How can i do this manually? I tried using config to try and solve the problem, i tried adding it as a device copy of ath* but it did not work. Any ideas on how i can get my damn PCI Wireless card to work on OpenBSD will be very appriciated. I'm very pissed off right now since i was expecting OpenBSD to be a breeze. Grrr.. I'm using my Auditor livecd right now.

I just installed OpenBSD yesterday. Ever since then i've been trying to get my atheros PCI wireless card to work. It's a DWL-G10 and has the AR5212 Chipset. And it says that the chipset is supported, yet my card does not show up when i do an ifconfig. It is in dmesg, but has no irq or anything like that. WTF! Why can't it get my card to work? How can i do this manually? I tried using config to try and solve the problem, i tried adding it as a device copy of ath* but it did not work. Any ideas on how i can get my damn  PCI Wireless card to work on OpenBSD will be very appriciated. I'm very pissed off right now since i was expecting OpenBSD to be a breeze. Grrr.. I'm using my Auditor livecd right now.

If it's a wireless card it won't show up in ifconfig till it's assigned an IP address.

It will however show up in iwconfig. Then you can use iwconfig <device name> essid "essid of your network" to have it connect. Then just a dhcpcd <device name>. It should then show up in your ifconfig. Does that help at all?

-Dr^ZigMan

Nope. I removed OpenBSD because i just gave up. The thing is, the card is not even detected. I went into verbose mode during startup and in probing ath* it said nothing found. So their is no point in trying if the card itself was not detected. Grr...

Nope. I removed OpenBSD because i just gave up. The thing is, the card is not even detected. I went into verbose mode during startup and in probing ath* it said nothing found. So their is no point in trying if the card itself was not detected. Grr...

you might want to try and update you're source tree to 3.8STABLE instead of 3.8RELEASE there's already a fix for ath(4)

ready ath(4) for more info :)

you can manage ath(4) Atheros chipset cards via ifconfig (8)

if u have a wi(4) wavelan, prism 2 and 3 chipsed you can manage it through wicontrol(8)

hope that helps :)

Edited by pfunix