Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
0vercat

Laptop suffered a power spike

4 posts in this topic

My building has had some ongoing construction in it. The owners/super do'nt follow the law regarding notification of power outages or the water being shut off.

One of these outages was severe - more like a power spike or surge - bypassing my power strip and zapping my Laptop.

On reboot I could'nt get past the; Choose mode you'de like to launch in screen ( for windows)

Eventually I reinstalled Windows XP Home Edition but have noticed some performance problems in regards to video and other things.

Could someone recommend how I might test to see what hardware may have been damaged?

Thank you much

My building has had some ongoing construction in it. The owners/super do'nt follow the law regarding notification of power outages or the water being shut off.

One of these outages was severe - more like a power spike or surge - bypassing my power strip and zapping my Laptop.

On reboot I could'nt get past the; Choose mode you'de like to launch in screen ( for windows)

Eventually I reinstalled Windows XP Home Edition but have noticed some performance problems in regards to video and other things.

Could someone recommend how I might test to see what hardware may have been damaged?

Thank you much

What type of laptop?

And other then that, I think taking it apart to make sure nothing burned out by visual inspection would be the best bet.

Try to find out if anyone else got any damaged equipment. And replace your surge protector. Make sure that you get a better one.

Ohh, and run a harddrive block check.

ive had shit surge of me many a times... usually what ends up getting fried is the sound card or the video card.... no idea why really... thats just my personal experience

Modern laptops use an auto-sense circuit in the power brick...so you're usually good to around 90-275 VAC (that's why you don't need a voltage converter when you take them from countryt to country). If you're having extreme problems, check the output voltage of your power brick and make sure it's pretty close to what's specified.