Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Immortal_Corruptor

How Do I Become Better At Social Engineering ?

14 posts in this topic

Hello, I have been doing alot of Social engineering lately, and I believe I have become.. fairly good.. Not great, maybe a novice, maybe worse. I'm just looking for a little bit of information to improve my techneak. If you can give me some links to good threds on this forum or others, sites, textfiles, or even if you have enough time to type out a few SE seniors.. I was also wondering is there any good auido clips of people Social engineering ? Because I sure as shit have looked for some, but have had no luck.

Wow, I sorta feel like I'm asking for a donation or something.. ha ha

Well any info will be greatly apprechiated.. Thanks.

i say keep up the good work it sounds like you are on track just keep doing what you are doing and you will gradually get involved in more and more detailed situations and by being on the spot you will learn what works and what does not...

one reccomendation i can give you for sure:

calling people by their names reeally helps for some reason...

The best way to get better at SE'ing is the same way you get to caringe Hall... Pratice Pratice Pratice!

If you want a few examples it can't hurt to check out Kevin Mitnick's book, "The Art of Deception." Which is a few pratical examples. Also the PLA (phone losers of america) did some of it, but to a more jovial extent.

Personally I try to incorperate it into my daily life. Hit on that cute cashier, see if you can find out if she has a little brother. Save a few bucks at the rental store because your last tape didn't play right. You get the idea. Not every SE has to be haxoring the gibson :) Best of luck!

-Dr^ZigMan

The best way to get better at SE'ing is the same way you get to caringe Hall... Pratice Pratice Pratice!

If you want a few examples it can't hurt to check out Kevin Mitnick's book, "The Art of Deception." Which is a few pratical examples.  Also the PLA (phone losers of america) did some of it, but to a more jovial extent.

Personally I try to incorperate it into my daily life.  Hit on that cute cashier, see if you can find out if she has a little brother.  Save a few bucks at the rental store because your last tape didn't play right.  You get the idea.  Not every SE has to be haxoring the gibson :)  Best of luck!

-Dr^ZigMan

I usually try to find out about the little sister... Most of my prefered shop watchers are older chicks. Hot, young (relativly) but never interested in me... :D

Hello, I have been doing alot of Social engineering lately, and I believe I have become.. fairly good.. Not great, maybe a novice, maybe worse. I'm just looking for a little bit of information to improve my techneak. If you can give me some links to good threds on this forum or others, sites, textfiles, or even if you have enough time to type out a few SE seniors.. I was also wondering is there any good auido clips of people Social engineering ? Because I sure as shit have looked for some, but have had no luck.

Wow, I sorta feel like I'm asking for a donation or something.. ha ha

Well any info will be greatly apprechiated.. Thanks.

This may sound too overly simplistic, but try getting a job as a telemarketer or in another sales related position. Convincing people to buy things they wouldn't otherwise buy if you hadn't advised them too, seems like a logical step to learning the craft. You can learn only so much by listening to audio clips and reading texts, but ultimately it comes down to how successful you are in interacting with other people...and that comes with practice.

Hey, thanks for the replys. Oh ill stick with it, I'm learning new things every day, and yea I noticed that to when you use there name, or memorize a managers name, they sorta believe you a little more.

I always try to memorize what I'm gonna say, but sometimes its fun to make it up on the spot. I also try to keep it really short because if I go on for like three hours, they don't believe me for some reason.

Thanks for the replys.. Anymore info will be great. ^_^

Practice. Learning social engineering is not like solving a math problem. Computers are entirely logical, and humans, sometimes, are very illogical. To become a good social engineer, you must develop a new way of thinking.

I'm a fairly decent con over the phone. However, I'm sure I would croak in a face-to-face encounter.

My tips for learning how to social engineer. Get a book on psychology and a book on personality tyypes and character quirks. Playing to those and learning how to using other peoples personalities against them helps alot. Also learn how to act and lie. Those things go hand in hand to find books the talk about persuasion (dont buy those books though cause often they have just a few good points and the rest kinda trails off). Also it helps to try and get friends with as many different personalities as possible. Study large crowds and how groups of people interact with one another and pay attention to detail.

Also always do things with confidence especially if social engineering involves being somewhere you dont know if you should be.

The confidence part is ussually the hardest witht he exception of the details unless you are a really out going person.

Thats all I got.

This may sound too overly simplistic, but try getting a job as a telemarketer or in another sales related position.  Convincing people to buy things they wouldn't otherwise buy if you hadn't advised them too, seems like a logical step to learning the craft.  You can learn only so much by listening to audio clips and reading texts, but ultimately it comes down to how successful you are in interacting with other people...and that comes with practice.

This technique, know as "Suggestive Selling" is an EXCELLENT way to pratice and improve your SE. Telemarketer can be a good way to go, or go the route of being a server. As a server they'll teach you how to suggestive sell thing, how to put the idea in their heads etc etc. Nice idea tranzient_spook!

-Dr^ZigMan

This may sound too overly simplistic, but try getting a job as a telemarketer or in another sales related position.  Convincing people to buy things they wouldn't otherwise buy if you hadn't advised them too, seems like a logical step to learning the craft.  You can learn only so much by listening to audio clips and reading texts, but ultimately it comes down to how successful you are in interacting with other people...and that comes with practice.

For god sakes, and your soul, avoid telemarketing. I've done it and have felt like shit for it, and I was calling for the PBA. Go with a retail sales job. Cell phone stores work great, because not only do people come looking for you, you get a reward for every successful SE!!!

For god sakes, and your soul, avoid telemarketing. I've done it and have felt like shit for it, and I was calling for the PBA. Go with a retail sales job. Cell phone stores work great, because not only do people come looking for you, you get a reward for every successful SE!!!

A question of personal ethics comes into play with just about any commission based sales job weather its telemarketing or selling automobiles. How far you want to travel down the road of deciet is your own choice. Having worked in sales for a few years I can tell you that you would be suprised what you can sell when you have sales managers yelling at you and embarrassing you in meetings, when your sales percentage is in the red week after week and when you have failed to sell any warranties...suddenly one day you wake up and discover you are blessed with social skills you never knew you had. Then it soon becomes a part of you and before you know it, you're taking your work home with you and talking to friends and familly the same way you would a prospective client. ...And that my friends, is where the Social Engineering development begins.

A question of personal ethics comes into play with just about any commission based sales job weather its telemarketing or selling automobiles.  How far you want to travel down the road of deciet is your own  choice.  Having worked in sales for a few years I can tell you that you would be suprised what you can sell when you have sales managers yelling at you and embarrassing you in meetings, when your sales percentage is in the red week after week and when you have failed to sell any warranties...suddenly one day you wake up and discover you are blessed with social skills you never knew you had.  Then it soon becomes a part of you and before you know it, you're taking your work home with you and talking to friends and familly the same way you would a prospective client. ...And that my friends, is where the Social Engineering development begins.

You work at some electronic store before haven't you? Apple maybe?

And what I mean is that there is a big difference in trying to sell something to someone when 1) you know where that money is (or isn't) completely going, and 2) how the person is initiated to the sale. Telemarketers call up random people (well, the computer does that) and ask for money/try to sell an item. From personal experience, I telemarketed for a PBA local to the job, but had to take calls from other states. I also knew that only like 25 percent of the money ended up in the PBA's funds. Granted some call centers work different then others. My friend, who worked in the same one I did, ended up working in another, and it was so much better, but still, that one was related to the college. Retail sales, the person comes up to the store, looking for something, and in the case of warrenties, you know the person might get their money's worth.

id probalby guess radio shack? my roomate used to work there and he could sell deaf people ear plugs

id probalby guess radio shack? my roomate used to work there and he could sell deaf people ear plugs

I used to work stock at a radioshack about three years ago, and I never saw them be yelled at for anything. They were all cell-phone vultures though. They never did try to push warrenties too hard.