0vercat

The Law

9 posts in this topic

Anyone have some links to current or historical Do's and Donts regarding hacking and the Law please?

Im sure there are as many points of view ethics wise as there are people - but I am certain that claiming ignorance should something arise will NOT save anyones ass.

I appreciate any responses

Curiously,

Overcat

I shuld have added this - sorry

I know I could have searched and found numerous things but - I thought it would be a really useful thing / question to have asked and answered in the forum

thanks

i believe that it is a very vague situation because the law about it is different in every state and it is also changing quite frequently... for example... in most places it is illegal to gain access to somebody's wireless network without their knowledge and approval.... even if all you are doing is checking your email or something else that is quite innocent sounding, you are still commiting a "serious" crime... however, in some states, i think new hampshire maybe?, they are trying to make it so that if the owner of the network is a DUMMY and doesn't use ANY kind of effort to keep you off, then it is considered a public kind of thing and therefore you may access the network and check your email... but they want to make it clear that if you do something crazy like sniff packets and crack their wep encryption or start fucking with their shared files or mapping their drives on your hard drive, then you are crossing the line

d0p3d4n :

i believe that it is a very vague situation because the law about it is different in every state and it is also changing quite frequently

All the more reason to get an idea / handle mentally on it

Im the type of person that in this arena would rather fall on the side of safe than sorry - which is what it is - but my gut tells me alot of people here - even if just visiting - would benefit from a few drops of the ocean of experience you all have to offer on the subject

Even if its not an exact site / law - please keep posting

Actually I am gonna ask a question as a good addon to this. Is there a site or any certain sites where you can look up state laws rather easy? I think this would be a good all around thing for people to have bookmarked. Also is there a site that archive old court cases of all sorts no matter what the case.

only website i know of that you can look up laws by the state is www.norml.org... however it is only about the marijuana laws in the 50 states.... but it *kind of* meets your criteria of the state by state law... yea i realize its not computer related fuck it

You really want to know what the law states about hacking and cracking? It states whatever it damn well pleases because it's the Law.

This is a huge problem since the vast majority of humans do not understand the difference between a hacker's many hats. Lawmakers and policy writers can skew a law into saying anything they want because that's one of the beauties of legalese: only a few truly understand it and thusly use that knowledge to benumb the minds of others.

Well the problem is that it isnt just hackers that that statement applies to. I mean most of the laws passed anymore are jokes that center around some popular opinion from someone who doesnt know anything about the subject they are condemning. Its rather pathetic and due to the fact that anymore people are basically mindless drones walking to the tune of corporations, and politicians that are rather out of touch and are looking to reach their own personal goals whether it be in the benefit of the people is a rather backseat goal. The hacker situation is just an example of many of these things going on and a sign of something that really bugs me.

The laws are fit for the highest bidder. Unfortunetly this is how the world works. Seems silly that our rights are taken away from us because of the ignorance of the powers that be.

Well that my opinion anyways.

BTW

Thanks d0p3d4n. It isnt exactly what I was lookin for but will be an interesting read non the less. :D

Edited by Vangald