PsypherX

SHMOOCON 2006!

40 posts in this topic

Shmoocon, baby! http://www.shmoocon.org

If you register after Oct. 1, it's going to cost you $150. Register now and save 50%!

Be there or be square!

Government credit card holders who do not wish to use PayPal will be provided an alternate payment & registration mechanism after October 2nd.  We apologize for any inconvenience and de-facto increased prices for Feds.

PWNED. LOLLERS. :lol:

What the fuck is wrong with these people? Do they think that hackers are made of money?

$150 for a fucking conference, its almost amazing. I'm not gonna go just because it costs so damn much.

I can't even pay rent. Why would I go to a conference to learn how to hack. Its either in your blood or its not. You can learn on a small scale but going to a confernce, i'd be hard pressed if they could even teach you some of the foundation blocks to that of what is called hacking.

:glare:

Other then the fact that the link doesn't work, what is schmoocon? I am interested however!!!!

seeing that your posts were one minute apart and the fact youve done that before, there is an edit button you know.

Why would I go to a conference to learn how to hack. Its either in your blood or its not. You can learn on a small scale but going to a confernce, i'd be hard pressed if they could even teach you some of the foundation blocks to that of what is called hacking.

there not all about teaching things, theyre also a good place to meet more of the hacker community. what next? are you going to say shit about the defcon and 2600 meetings?

PS: It's only $75 if you pre-register...

(read a bit harder you fools)

PS: It's only $75 if you pre-register...

(read a bit harder you fools)

HOPE5 was 50 bucks.... At the freaking door. The organizers promised me last year on lj2600 that they're going to greatly lower the prices this year. Well, they didn't. Money-grubbing assholes, in my personal opinion.

While I'm usually against the man...

Conferences aren't free. They take a lot of work to put together, and the location isn't free either. It costs money. If you can afford it, by all means go! Con's a great place to meet people. If you can't afford it, it's really too bad :( Personally I'm flat broke, but I try to save as much money as I can for cons. I won't be able to make this one, but I hope to see everyone at a later date :)

-Dr^ZigMan

If you want a conference where there is like, actual information and learning going on, you have to pay. It's what keeps shmoocon and usenix and the rest from turning into drunkcon

If you want a conference where there is like, actual information and learning going on, you have to pay.  It's what keeps shmoocon and usenix and the rest from turning into drunkcon

Uh.. what? How does that justify a 150 dollar ticket price and a 75 dollar pre-registration price?

I can't even pay rent. Why would I go to a conference to learn how to hack. Its either in your blood or its not. You can learn on a small scale but going to a confernce, i'd be hard pressed if they could even teach you some of the foundation blocks to that of what is called hacking.

:glare:

ya i wouldn't necessarily say that you go to these things to "learn how to hack"... specialy since alot of the 5pL01tz have already been fixed by the time the presentations are made... and also they don't like straight up tell you how to hack they just make you aware of how much of a joke security is, make you laugh, and enlighten you on some cool shit you never knew before.... not to mention its so awesome to be in a spot with like thousands of other nerds that share your same interests and hobbies? its fuckin unreal!!! its literally like having a thousand of the fat comic book guy from the simpsons hanging out drinking and learning fun stuffz0rs

I might be able to go, and it will be my first conference, w00t!

How much does usenix cost?

Other then the fact that the link doesn't work, what is schmoocon? I am interested however!!!!

The link's been fixed now. The "c" is nonexistent. My bad.

If you want a conference where there is like, actual information and learning going on, you have to pay.  It's what keeps shmoocon and usenix and the rest from turning into drunkcon

Uh.. what? How does that justify a 150 dollar ticket price and a 75 dollar pre-registration price?

The conference is $75 before Oct. 4. After that, it's $150. If you wait until December, it's $250.

There's no "pre-registration" fee, it's all flat pricing for the conference itself. Read the thread.

Well, Debris, I wasn't talking shit. Just a little exaggerated question. I think that meeting others in the community is a great thing. However, if I were to pay a 150 dollars I'd expect travel or hotel accomedations. Not asking to much. Or maybe a dvd of the highlights of schmoocon. Now 75 dollars Thats a little more like it. I paid that much too see prince when he last went on tour. I did it for the Pussy control. Now the edit button. I stray away from that. That is if you had offended someone in a post posted unappropriate material and the likes. I don't feel I did, but still I remain sorry if i offended anyone. I just happen to be a poor guy who never gets out and wonders what would it be like to be in an area, hopefully secured from police and likes. Would everyone smell like I do shower once a week and are on day 7 before that shower? if 3 or 4 guys smelt like that it would be horrendus. If 200 300 people showed up like that they would condem the property. Well I hope you understand why I post as I post. I don't and won't accuse anyone of any thing even posting twice. If that was a question as too why I post sometimes twice within a minute, im sorry. If you were offended by what I initally said, im sorry. Let it stand though that I will not question you unless we are troubleshooting a problem. and that is just what i hope we did.

word.

P.s. If anyone thinks this was a rant your probably right. Bad day all around and can't get my FUCKING sound to work.

p.s.s. See thread on problem http://www.binrev.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15419

I'd go if I had the cash but I'm already making arrangements for Phreaknic.

$150 isn't all that bad for a ticket, even if it is discounted. There are far less interesting (and informative) things you can attend for a lot more money. My coworkers went to a Cisco conference in Vegas over the summer and it was quite a bit more than $150. They also got shafted on most of the information and amazingly, the APs that were set up were done so incorrectly.....by the people Cisco has certified and has stamped as "smart".

lol 150 including a DVD with the highlights!?>!?!>? i wish!!!!! fuck man... for a AUDIO CD (2 actually) from defcon 13 it cost me 70 bux.... now if you want it all on video, it costs about 900 dollars.... and heres the ironic thing... <rant>a fuckin h4x0r/computernerd/security expo right??? and for 900 bux, they sell you something like 30 VHS TAPES!!!!!!!! i mean seriously... does anybody see the irony in that? VHS? couldn't these NERDS at least press some DVD's seein as how they are charging 900 bux? even without it costing that much... i mean come on... VHS??? who uses VHS?? who would want to fast fwd through all those tapes looking for the speaker you wanted? wow couldn't fathom the stupidity of the company that films the conferences

</rant>

Well, Debris, I wasn't talking shit. Just a little exaggerated question. I think that meeting others in the community is a great thing. However, if I were to pay a 150 dollars I'd expect travel or hotel accomedations. Not asking to much. Or maybe a dvd of the highlights of schmoocon. Now 75 dollars Thats a little more like it. I paid that much too see prince when he last went on tour. I did it for the Pussy control. Now the edit button. I stray away from that. That is if you had offended someone in a post posted unappropriate material and the likes. I don't feel I did, but still I remain sorry if i offended anyone. I just happen to be a poor guy who never gets out and wonders what would it be like to be in an area, hopefully secured from police and likes. Would everyone smell like I do shower once a week and are on day 7 before that shower? if 3 or 4 guys smelt like that it would be horrendus. If 200 300 people showed up like that they would condem the property. Well I hope you understand why I post as I post. I don't and won't accuse anyone of any thing even posting twice. If that was a question as too why I post sometimes twice within a minute, im sorry. If you were offended by what I initally said, im sorry. Let it stand though that I will not question you unless we are troubleshooting a problem. and that is just what i hope we did.

word.

P.s. If anyone thinks this was a rant your probably right. Bad day all around and can't get my FUCKING sound to work.

p.s.s. See thread on problem  http://www.binrev.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15419

ya bad day too and wanted to say grarrr to someone. people dont like me anyways and think im annoying so i geuss i shouldnt give anyone another reason to not like me.

Ok... it seems like everyone thinks that if you register early, you save 50% off and pay $150. That's NOT the case.

If you register early (by Oct. 1), you'll pay $75 (50% of $150).

Read about the pricing at http://www.shmoocon.org. It answers all your questions.

PsypherX: "Ok... it seems like everyone thinks that if you register early, you save 50% off and pay $150. That's NOT the case.

If you register early (by Oct. 1), you'll pay $75 (50% of $150).

I understood the pricing read my long post. I On the other hand just couldnt imagine spending that amount of money on a conference. Especially for a one day event.

January of 2004, I attended Lotusphere, at disney world. FUCKING SWEET. I didn't pay a penny I got to see big names in the industry and big names in the Entertainment industry as well. that was a conference worth attending. Fortunatly I didn't have to shell out a penny and I got 3 bags of FREE computer toys equipment and all around unique Lotusphere items. On top of it we went to Universal Studios had the park rented out for only lotusphere attendees. It costed 75 dollars per atendee to attend that event but again I didn't pay a penny. The company that i worked for at the time covered all expenses and I got shit face drunk there off FREE beer. Thats what I call a conference even if its direct objective is nothing about hacking.

Debris

ya bad day too and wanted to say grarrr to someone. people dont like me anyways and think im annoying so i geuss i shouldnt give anyone another reason to not like me.

I have nothing against anyone here debris. Especially you. Your a cool cat in my books. I just felt that some of these posts are a little off. like 150$ conference. Lol. Anyone who has read or reads 2600 would know that there is or has been for quite some time a free way to pretty inexpensive like 10 15 dollars, to meet up in your own city and meet like minded people in the same hacker community as yourself. Unfortunatly, true hackers are generally too much of a pussy to get off their ass and attend (me included.) Cause we are scared that even though the activity that we choose to participate in is not illegal, we dont want to risk it. I do have a permenant felony record. I can't stand oinkers, pigs, cops, fbi....... I stay to myself. I am openly talking more about these things day in and day out but needless to say i just can't find a good reason to do anything else. Its like since our dear friend turned agent, kevin mtnick, NOONE has the balls to go up against THE MAN!!! I highly hope that this Schmoocon 2006 Is something that will only continue to grow and become a bigger success amongst the community. So that one day We will all be able to attend an event of the schmoocon elitist factor and still not have authoritees breathing down our throats.

Anywho, if anyone is interested. I recommend the movie Operation Takedown. Commonly reffered to online as hackers 2. However there is no relavence in the two movies. Operation Takedown tells the story of Kevin Mtnick and aside from the action in the movie that may be a little exxagerated it does do the community justice in showing Vigalance, rebellion, temptaion, accomplishment, failure, giving in. It was a cycle and then microsoft turns to him and offers him a multimillion dollar job to prevent what he did best. Break in to the system. He knew what he wanted and always came through. We had this super genuis 11 yr old hacker learn how to break in computers, call bomb threats (not that genuis), and ultimatly by the time he was 17 hack any cell phone database and retrive information from any company database and make his own accounts, is fucking impressive.

In the end I feel that anone who chooses to disagree with me that 150$$$ is to much for a conference or that if one day we can't all attend something like that regardless of our income status. Is not very understanding of the fact that they aren't keeping up with the community. It is like a joke to me like microsoft is holding theconference under a hacker name. HAHAHA

Peace out

No money? Can't go.

I agree with jedi on this one. It isn't *supposed* to be a defcon party zone.

Read the "about" on the page. 75 bucks isn't bad at all. Seriously, what are you guys smoking crack? That's like a day and a half's pay at mininum wage for crying out loud. Half a days (or less) pay to most adults. c'mon.........

Lets not even mention the fact if make an ad/banner they like admission is free if your that poor. RTFP.

As for the guy who wanted travel and/or hotel accomidations for his 150 bucks.....huh? Were you serious? Or was that just like a little joke because you thought the prices were steep. A hundred and fifty bucks won't even get you a plane ticket on a decent flight and hamburger at your arriving destination.

Voldemort it isn't a one day event it's three, perhaps you could benefit from actually reading the webpage as well. Sorry, not trying to be mean at all....you obviously didn't though.

ya i wouldn't necessarily say that you go to these things to "learn how to hack"... specialy since alot of the 5pL01tz have already been fixed by the time the presentations are made... and also they don't like straight up tell you how to hack they just make you aware of how much of a joke security is, make you laugh, and enlighten you on some cool shit you never knew before

Congrats! You have just made n00b-scritpt-kiddy award of the year!! :bday: except no presents of your precious "5P0175" that work.

Obviously you know nothing about hacking. Mabet you should read this before you post anymore ignorant posts. Hacking isnt about using the exploits, it's about knowing how they work, why they work, and any knowledge you can receive. Thats why at cons they dont give you a how-to hack, they show you why hacking is and how everything works, most of all it is KNOWLEDGE BASED.

I might not be more of, your definition, a hacker than you, but I sure am no script-kiddie looking for scripts that remotly root the boxes, and if i ever so should i would read as to why it works.

BTW- you will hold the award until

#!/bin/sh

#n00b.sh

echo "N00b"

exec n00b.sh

ends, or microsoft becomes leet.

Edited by Exvitel

No evolve you did not hurt my feelings or were mean at all. Infact you were very informative. I was serious about transportion until I found out that it was indeed a 3 day event. Assuming that you lived in austin tx transportation is free, to very very cheap, around the city. I also am jobless. So money does seem tight. However I have a new job im starting monday. Assuming I pass the piss test. Which I will. I never fail a test. I just hope i didn't strip my brain of electrolytes. I know its possible with the amount of water I have been drinking.

So anyways, about the 150, not bad at all. I also had made that clear I believe in a more recent post. But thats beside the point. Point is, I did not go to the website. I did not care to because as of last year the only videos of any hacker event that I could find were only on vhs (as one user said earlier) in a 9 volume set for, get this, $450. What the Fuck. Get with the program. Even I could make the dvds, given that i had the video footage. Even if it was recorded on vhs. Mastering a vhs to dvd copy is rather simple. Then producing some 5 to 10 thousand copies. Take me about a month straight time. Cost, maybe outrageous on electricty unless i sould each dvd for oh a conservative price, $20.

See now that was my whole problem. I am not a do it for profit kinda guy. If I wanted money i would move and work for microsoft or another outrageously wealthy company. I dont though. I live life to help those around me and I am politically active out here in the state capitol of tx Austin!!!! Woot woot. So lets have one of these events in austin. Who would make it down here. Btw Quakecon Happens not to far from here, and AMD's home is here. Come on down and join me in austin. Some year!!!

word!

P.s. Evolve, I have enjoyed following many of your postings in threads here. I find that you do have a wealth of knowledge. I hope your not quick to jump on me for wanting to, on first instinct, talk bad about schmoocon or its pricing. But After I looked into it more I feel as if I was quick to badmouth. I am sorry. :jigga2:

However, if I were to pay a 150 dollars I'd expect travel or hotel accomedations.

Wow, and what's the weather like on YOUR planet?

However, if I were to pay a 150 dollars I'd expect travel or hotel accomedations.

Wow, and what's the weather like on YOUR planet?

I was wondering if I was the only one who was beginning to think we've been infiltrated by "other worlders"