Strom Carlson

Sprint's New Logo

33 posts in this topic

That is an ugly logo! The old logo was so much better, and to go along with that a yellow and black site! What were they smoking :P

-Andrew

My reaction is "that's the best they could do?"

logo_header.gif

My reaction is "that's the best they could do?"

logo_header.gif

The world is deteriorating one logo at a time.

I dislike the color scheme. But other then that... *shrug* Thankfully this is only their wireless logo.

I think we should change this thread into "Make your own Sprint logo". Come on people far more creative then I, post away!

they must have had to scour high school graphic design classes for that classic logo. :puke:

yea, their old logo was so much nice why did they have to got and change it?

Yellow and black was the color scheme of www.nextel.com, which I guess they decided to carry over when they merged. But yeah, that's a plain-ass logo.

C'mon, it's the pindrop!

So that's how you show a pin dropping!

I dont think its the pin dropping, I think its the pin bouncing back up after its hit the ground.

Heres an alternate version of the logo which may/ may not be used at all:

sprint9hm.png

I don't like it, but it does stick to KISS pretty well.

I like the One with the black background a lot better it makes look just.... less... shity i guess?!

The black background one is definately better. The logo is numerous pins dropping and bouncing back up (www.sprint.com). If I am correct, Sprint took over Nextel, so they should have kept their colors.

Im pretty sure its just one pin and it is just showing the many stages of it bouncing up (and down, in the animation), since every other old Sprint commercial was just one pin.

And it seems they are using the yellow logo for now, thats what Ive seen on every advertisement so far. Oh well.

I see it not as a pin, but a shark...

(representing all the other phone companies)

... opening it's mouth to swallow up all the business of Sprint and Nextel.

Edited by Perf-149

or like a yellow turd falling over in slow motion. i'd love to hear a pin drop over existing sprint pcs network. are they really going to pitch the pcs/nextel service "pin drop" quality? or it that going to stay just for the long distance arm of sprint's network.

or like a yellow turd falling over in slow motion. i'd love to hear a  pin drop over existing sprint pcs network. are they really going to pitch the pcs/nextel service "pin drop" quality? or it that going to stay just for the long distance arm of sprint's network.

I don't even know whether Sprint has pushed the "pin drop" thing in years. I do recall seeing the pin drop on television ads several years ago, but I haven't really watched television since then. Can any of you who do watch television confirm whether Sprint does still actually use that image at the end of their current advertisements?

On the other hand, the "so quiet you can hear a pin drop" bit really doesn't make much sense to push anymore. These days, everyone's network is all-fiber, and Sprint thus no longer has the marketing advantage of being the first company to completely eliminate analog carrier and switching from their network. They did do something along the same lines with their Sprint PCS ads, but the gist was speech quality, not overall audio quality (which makes sense, since mobile phone codecs are designed around speech, but I digress).

Anyway, with regard to the logo itself, I don't see a pin drop (the angles are all wrong, and the rebound theory makes little sense, since the impact makes the noise, not the rebound), I see a wing in motion. As bland as the logo is, I do like the fact that it has a quality which suggests motion, as well as the forward-pointing arrow suggested by the 90 degree angle on the right side. It's clean and simple, and face it, they could have done far far worse.

sprint.gif

im guessing sprint probably bought out nextel so it should go the other way but 0h well

or like a yellow turd falling over in slow motion. i'd love to hear a  pin drop over existing sprint pcs network. are they really going to pitch the pcs/nextel service "pin drop" quality? or it that going to stay just for the long distance arm of sprint's network.

I don't even know whether Sprint has pushed the "pin drop" thing in years. I do recall seeing the pin drop on television ads several years ago, but I haven't really watched television since then. Can any of you who do watch television confirm whether Sprint does still actually use that image at the end of their current advertisements?

[...]

Anyway, with regard to the logo itself, I don't see a pin drop (the angles are all wrong, and the rebound theory makes little sense, since the impact makes the noise, not the rebound), I see a wing in motion. As bland as the logo is, I do like the fact that it has a quality which suggests motion, as well as the forward-pointing arrow suggested by the 90 degree angle on the right side. It's clean and simple, and face it, they could have done far far worse.

Well, I know at least on little Sprint promos, Like PBS, "this program brought to you in part by Sprint", and then a quick Sprint blip, the pindrop is still used, but like you said, no mention of the 'pindrop clarity' promo point that used to be so common.

And, really, you are trying to make sense out of the physics of a logo?! :D

sprint.gif

im guessing sprint probably bought out nextel so it should go the other way but 0h well

Try searching instead of guessing, it was a merger, and they went with the recognizable yellow/black combination instead of the more common red/white.

Edited by GIJoe

Anyway, with regard to the logo itself, I don't see a pin drop (the angles are all wrong, and the rebound theory makes little sense, since the impact makes the noise, not the rebound), I see a wing in motion.

My first reaction was a _definite_ pin-drop. Notice the lines are thicker at the bottom of the motion, suggesting a greater velocity than at the top, which is consistent with real world motion (9.8m/s/s). This assumes that each line indicates the movement across a constant length of time.

I looked it up. Turns out that the companies (Nextel, Sprint) made that logo as a tribute to the pin-drop.

http://www.crmbuyer.com/story/44157.html

Sprint's distinctive red and black logo will yield to a new yellow and black presentation that the companies said includes a graphic tribute to Sprint's "pin drop" image.
Edited by BlakeOPS

Ok, this is a little shitty, I used paint in M$ to edit it.

post-2450-1127240567_thumb.jpg

Ok, this is a little shitty, I used paint in M$ to edit it.

shouldn't that be in the photoshop contest thread about this? by the way oddflux, you take the cake with your version. it beats mine, Dr^Zigman's, and some other guy's attempt to create one.