Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ragweed

logged in as root and cant acess /mnt/cdrom

14 posts in this topic

I am currently running mandrakelinux 9.0, I am logged in as root, and I can not acess /mnt/cdrom. I am receving the error "Unable to enter file:/mnt/cdrom. You do not have acess right to this location." I have also tired running the following command: chmod -R a+rx /mnt/cdrom but when I execute this command i get an Input/output error

How can I gain acess to /mnt/cdrom? :help: :wacko:

you mount it correctly or have the automountd installed and working? Does the file/folder really exist? Did you install everything needed? Did you experiance something strange during the install? Is the hardware older or newer? What are the hardware specs? Are the correct rpms for your cpu ARCH installed?

the hardware isnt even a yr old its mounted and installed fine and the folder does exist but its locked

Hmm was it working before and now it's not?

Do you have multiple cdrom drives?

nope its a fresh install of mandrake i only have on cdrom drive

can you delete the symlink, delete teh folder, mkdir a new folder with the same place and name, and mount it correctly?

This is a new install? As in "brand new not a hour ago" or as in "yestday I have been hacking it all night"?

i installed it yesterday but didnt do anything with it but i fixed the problem i went into /dev and moved the folder cdroms to /mnt and walla the cdrom drive became unlocked

wait a minute, you moved /dev/cdrom to /mnt??????

no i moved /dev/cdroms i dont get it either i just figured what the hell its worth a shot

/dev/cdrom is just a symlink which was probably broken. Sometimes programs will look for files in a list chronologically. By seeing that the symlink no longer existed in /dev the actual device file may have then been found. Otherwise I don't have an explanation for why that would have worked :huh: .

Have you tried mounting the actual device? /dev/hdb, /dev/hdc, /dev/hdd, depending on your IDE jumper settings.

NM. Just saw where you fixed it.

uhhh its doing it again this time i copied /mnt/cdrom then pasted /mnt/cdrom and it worked but each time i shut down something fukked up happens and it gets locked down :angry: