Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ntheory

VoIP phone service

22 posts in this topic

Just got my Packet8 box in the mail today. I'll be sure to post some detailed information once it's up and running.

Anyone else tried this particular service?

Anything you guys want to know about it in particular?

I knew it.. once one compony does it, everyone else wants in on it.. Im told the service is crappy for operations like this one, and its entirly dependent on your cable provider.. so if they are down so is your phone line.. :(

Well it's all hooked up and here's what I've noticed/found out/already knew but didn't mention:

Pros:

1) Unlimited calling to the US and Canada

2) The people I've called didn't even notice that it was VoIP

3) The message light on the box (to tell you if you have voicemail) actually works (some other services didn't have this working yet)

4) Your call history is updated online so fast it is ridiculous

5) It worked perfectly even when my connection was really saturated

6) It was so simple to set up my left shoe could've done it

7) I now have a number in DC for no particular reason :P

8) They may have their own block of test numbers to play with (the registration phone number is 012-0001, if you dial anything before your initial registration it'll force you to register anyway so then again it might just be easier than telling people to "dial anything")

Cons:

1) No call waiting (no busy signal either, they get your voicemail)

2) No three way calling

3) The caller ID did some screwy stuff which I'll have to call them about (it works except for the last digit on incoming calls :P)

4) ** Your voicemail is enabled automatically with the default four-digit password "0000" (always good to know, scan away and own some VMBs!) **

5) They claim that it's SIP with some proprietary stuff added on (I have no idea if that's marketing garbage or not)

Stuff that's neither here nor there:

1) 10-digit dialing (who cares?)

2) It's another box on my desk (my desk has so much equipment on it anyway I don't even notice it)

3) It's not a Cisco box (it works, that's all that matters)

BTW, if their service goes out or your cable/DSL provider dies then people will just get your voicemail. No big deal for me since I have a cell phone anyway.

Your forgetting the sheer COST to get started:

Monthly Rate: $19.95

Activation Fee: $29.95

Equipment Cost: $599.00

Total Start Up Cost: $648.90

Man.. are you ritch or something? lol

No, you're mistaken.

Monthly Rate: $19.95

Activation Fee: $29.95

Coupon (code SAVE or SAM): -$20.00

Equipment Cost: FREE

Total Start Up Cost: $29.90

The plan with the $599.00 equipment cost is the video phone plan. I don't want that crap, it's basically useless.

Go to their store and make sure you go to the residential service plan in the second box down.

Interesting, but how do people call your voIP phone??? :blink:

It has a regular phone number in (almost) any NPA you want.

I can hook the box up to a network with DHCP and it registers with Packet8 automatically. Almost instantly I can receive calls. It rocks. Lots of fun when wardriving too (and it's cheaper than a cell phone). :D

BTW, if you call someone else with Packet8 service it's smart enough to avoid the PSTN all together.

well, time to start saving me cash for 1. Where did you get it??? :WHAT:

You can order it straight from the Packet8 webpage. The $20 coupon code (to save you most of the activation fee) is "SAVE" or "SAM". They both work, but you can only use one at a time. :P

So far I really like it except for that little bit of caller ID weirdness. I'll be testing it behind some insane college firewall next week to see if it really works anywhere. I'll let you guys know.

got 8 pennies rite now!!!

A few more pieces of information that should be useful to you phreaks out there...

1) It doesn't pass ANI correctly/at all.

2) When you block your caller ID it comes up as "Out of area" instead of "Private/Blocked".

Calling 1-800-444-4444 gives me an ANI of 213-333-3333

Calling 1-800-555-1140 gives me "the ANI is 23213" and that's IT. Nothing more. According to NANPA ANI II digits 23 mean the following (http://www.nanpa.com/number_resource_info/ani_ii_assignments.html):

23  Coin or Non-Coin - on calls using database access, e.g., 800, ANI II 23 is used to indicate that the coin/non-coin status of the originating line cannot be positively distinguished for ANI purposes by the SSP. The ANI II pair 23 is substituted for the II pairs which would otherwise indicate that the non-coin status is known, i.e., 00, or when there is ANI failure.

ANI II 23 may be substituted for a valid 2-digit ANI pair on 0-800 calls. In all other cases, ANI II 23 should not be substituted for a valid 2-digit ANI II pair which is forward to an SSP from an EAEO.

Some of the situations in which the ANI II 23 may be sent:

* Calls from non-conforming end offices (CAMA or LAMA types) with combined coin/non-coin trunk groups.

* 0-800 Calls

* Type 1 Cellular Calls

* Calls from PBX Trunks

* Calls from Centrex Tie Lines

Calling 1-800-CALL-ATT (2255-288) greets me with "AT&T, may I have the number you're calling from please?". I actually had the operator jump on in the middle of the recording and bark "Try your call again later" and she promptly hung up.

Yeah, phones are fun. :)

Call forwarding my Packet8 line to 1-800-555-1140 correctly forwards the ANI but the ANI II digits are changed to 23. Just FYI.

Maybe I should just sum it all up in an article...

EDIT:

When I say it correctly forwards it I mean that you get the number of the person calling your Packet8 phone on the ANI recording, not your Packet8 number.

EDIT:

When I say it correctly forwards it I mean that you get the number of the person calling your Packet8 phone on the ANI recording, not your Packet8 number.

Ohh, thats a pretty good setup. thats funny about the operator.

Maybe I should just sum it all up in an article...

i would love this for issue 3 of binrev!

Sounds like a plan. Got a few more tricks up my sleeve that I'll keep under wraps until then I suppose.

I just got my voIP service from Vonage. This thing is AWESOME! Since it is so new, there aren't any phreaks I know about yet, but as more subscribers come online, I bet there are many that will be found..

The difference with Vonage is that it offers call transfer (if you are talking to someone, you can transfer the call to your cell or any other number in the US and Canada)

If the Internet goes down, it will automatically forward the calls on to any other phone number you specify.

It does have call waiting, 3-way calling, Caller ID, voicemail, Call block, and a bunch of other cool stuff. You do also get the Cisco ATA free. (You also get unlimited long distance to the US and Canada with the residential 39.99/mo package)

Anyone interested in the service? Please send me an e-mail to send a referral. If you sign up thru a referral, you get a free month and so do I! WOOHOO!!!

A few more pieces of information that should be useful to you phreaks out there...

1) It doesn't pass ANI correctly/at all.

2) When you block your caller ID it comes up as "Out of area" instead of "Private/Blocked".

Calling 1-800-444-4444 gives me an ANI of 213-333-3333

Calling 1-800-555-1140 gives me "the ANI is 23213" and that's IT. Nothing more. According to NANPA ANI II digits 23 mean the following (http://www.nanpa.com/number_resource_info/ani_ii_assignments.html):

23  Coin or Non-Coin - on calls using database access, e.g., 800, ANI II 23 is used to indicate that the coin/non-coin status of the originating line cannot be positively distinguished for ANI purposes by the SSP. The ANI II pair 23 is substituted for the II pairs which would otherwise indicate that the non-coin status is known, i.e., 00, or when there is ANI failure.

ANI II 23 may be substituted for a valid 2-digit ANI pair on 0-800 calls. In all other cases, ANI II 23 should not be substituted for a valid 2-digit ANI II pair which is forward to an SSP from an EAEO.

Some of the situations in which the ANI II 23 may be sent:

* Calls from non-conforming end offices (CAMA or LAMA types) with combined coin/non-coin trunk groups.

* 0-800 Calls

* Type 1 Cellular Calls

* Calls from PBX Trunks

* Calls from Centrex Tie Lines

Calling 1-800-CALL-ATT (2255-288) greets me with "AT&T, may I have the number you're calling from please?". I actually had the operator jump on in the middle of the recording and bark "Try your call again later" and she promptly hung up.

Yeah, phones are fun. :)

this is the same thing that happens when you make a tollfree call through at&t on a land line...

dial 10-10-288-0 (AT&T Long Distance Automated Operator), then wait for the prompt, and dial 800-444-4444 and 800-555-1140 on a standard landline.

Your ANI will be 23xyz or xyz-zzz-zzzz, where xyz is the NPA of the at&t long distance switching center your call is routed from. (Northeastern OH uses the switching center in 412, Pittsburgh)

packet8 should have call waiting and 3 way...i tihnk they have for awhile, prob just that when you guys posted they didnt back then. I hear packet8 threeway is kind of crappy, could of been the bandwidth the guy had at the time.

Doug