Bill_Gevstorvsky

Booting from a printer

20 posts in this topic

I have a HP Officejet 7410xi All-In-One hooked up to my windows box. A while ago I was having issues starting up whenever the USB cable to the printer was plugged in. I found out that my computer was actually trying to boot from the printer. When the printer is off it goes directly through startup and i log on. When its on I wait 9 or 10 minutes of a black screen with a DOS prompt on it which you can't type in. I realized it was attempting to boot from the printer when I found that when I booted from CDs and External Hard Drives the same thing would happen, except the DOS prompt would only show up for a couple of minutes. This HP Printer I have also found has a webserver that you can access, plus a wireless network that is unencrypted by default and you can print stuff on it.

Can you all think of any uses for a bootable printer? The printer cannot go through with the booting onto the computer, but still I thought that it was quite interesting that a printer could be theoretically booted from.

--Bill Gevstorvsky

This is most likely not your printer booting it is likely a issue with the USB. Are you going through an unpowered USB hub?

Edited by Nemasket

Help me! I am currently without a mouse. Those were USB ports you had me disabling.

--Bill Gevstorvsky

Edited by Bill_Gevstorvsky

Any device conflicts?

Do you have USB root hub in the Device manager more than once?

Delete them all and reboot without any USB devices plugged in. When you get a clean boot plug in your device(s). Reboot and see if it helps.

Edited by Nemasket

ummm... Two of my USB ports have been disabled because those USB root hubs were actually my USB ports. Please give me instruction on how i should go about getting this fixed. Should I attempt to copy the drivers?

--Bill Gevstorvsky

Edited by Bill_Gevstorvsky

A USB Mouse and also a External Hardrive which is not currently with me. I lent it to someone. Even without the USB External Hardrive it still attempts to boot from the printer when its on. What might cause this anomally?

--Bill Gevstorvsky

This could be a HP driver issue. I would get an updated one from the website.

Other things that may help making sure there is no memory card in the printer. Or a BIOS update...if you feel confortable doing one. There are also some motherboard that this is a known issue. It would query on the web.

Sounds to me like its confusing the printer with the hardrive. Id check your bios settings. Mabye make sure you dont have usb harddrive before your internal harddrive in th ebot device priority.

Why not just turn off usb or network drive boot in the boot order? Just leave the boot order as floppy, cd-rom, hd for now. You can always turn it back on when needed.

The external HD is not plugged in yet when the printer is on, It seems to attempt to boot from it. I will check the BIOS when I am finished typing this paper.

--Bill Gevstorvsky

/me smacks Nemasket upside the head.

Anyways, Bill, go into your BIOS, go to Boot settings, boot order, and disable usb boot. Problem solved.

I have the same thing happen to me when my iPod is plugged in and I boot up my laptop. I am certain its just the boot order and not a windows problem as I am running linux. :D