Exvitel

RAR files

17 posts in this topic

I have downloaded things using bittorrent, and found some things to be in RAR format. What do I do? What are they?

RAR is a file archiving tool, if your on windows download an application called winRAR from rarlabs.com

Thanks a lot, though I have not tried it yet, thanks for the help. :voteyes:

And for more information on what exactly a rar file is...

http://www.rarlab.com/rar_file.htm

The principle advantage of rar, at least IMHO is that you can split an archive up into volumes. Also it's file compression isn't bad, ofcourse nothing beats a good old tar ball :)

-Dr^ZigMan

The principle advantage of rar, at least IMHO is that you can split an archive up into volumes.  Also it's file compression isn't bad, ofcourse nothing beats a good old tar ball :)

God, I remember the days when CD-Rs were nonexistent; this was a way to easily transport archives via ungodly numbers of floppy disks.

Or the now defunct technology called newsgroups.. Well at least AOL thinks that no-one would want to possibly download music/files..

:cuss:

its pretty much like .zip file

since theres the topic of torrents here can someone help me out with finding something for downloading them using linux?

.rar is horrible, it's not that great compression, and yeah it can be broken into many pieces, but you ALWAYS are missing one piece, or it's corrupted, and you are like god damnit, then you go slap hac's mother around...or at least I do :devil:

If you want awesome compression, look around for uharc.

Iammattz and I were messing around with it, and I got almost a 90% compression out of a 100 MB file. Very very good.

.rar is horrible, it's not that great compression, and yeah it can be broken into many pieces, but you ALWAYS are missing one piece, or it's corrupted, and you are like god damnit, then you go slap hac's mother around...or at least I do  :devil:

Not if you download the RAR files off of Bittorrent/eDonkey which verify the checksums of the downloaded files.

its pretty much like .zip file

since theres the topic of torrents here can someone help me out with finding something for downloading them using linux?

have you even looked around on google. ill take this question as a no, Bittorrent by Bram Cohen, Bittorrnado by shad0wz and a whole lot more. please. google is youre friend.

and about rar's lets not forget when dialup was around and getting movies off efnet was a bitch and a half when there were like 100 parts for the movie, its great when people ask, for part 56 becuse it didnt match checksum ;p

Edited by nenn

Rar's are still used today for usenet binaries. It's great because you are only allowed to upload a fixed amount of data to newsgroups, so its really the only way to get it to work. Now with services like newsbiz, its a breeze if you say want to download the 50's black and white soap opera thats public domain now..

Everybody seems to have missed the fact that Zip archives can be split into different files as well. It's not something special to the Rar format. I remember a long time ago doing a backup on my PC using pkzip, and having it spanned over about 50 floppy disks because that's all that I had at the time.

The only real use I know Rar files is to compress already compressed files. Because it uses a different algo to Zip files, you can get some extra compression out of doing this, but most often it's just not worth it.

--

Graham

I've always been partial to .sit's

Well, as long as they stay off my face and back...