Bill_Gevstorvsky

Drugs: Ruining the hacking community

140 posts in this topic

I was recently in contact with someone who went to Defcon and we had a long typing session of why drugs are ruining the hacking community,While he was At defcon he said that almost everyone was doing speed or some other drug. He said that he had seen a lot of excellent minds be screwed up by drugs. I agreed with him and we went on and on about how drugs will totally fuck you up, and yet how rampant they are in the Hacking and Phreaking community. The drug problem is more visible in the hacking community though. We need to keep the new Hackers and Phreakers away from drugs because they are the ones who will continue our legacy. The ones who are currently addicted to drugs are ruining their mind yet they don't seem to care that they are wasting one of the only things that make our civilization, no matter how corrupt it is: Knowledge.

So please, for the sake of the hacking and phreaking community, Don't do drugs, because Marijuana just makes you stupid for a couple of days and those "hard" drugs will literally fuck your mind up beyond belief.

Just so you know I am not outspokenly against drugs, I just don't want to see our community go down the shitter. I believe that all drugs except those derrived from the Cannibas plant should be illegal. So please don't waste your mind on drugs no matter how you feel.

--Cheers, From Russia

Edited by Bill_Gevstorvsky

All the drugs are illegal.

Hate to break this shocking news to you but drugs have always been a part of the community, you're about 20 years late with this revelation.

I know, I am simply pointing out that they are ruining it slowly. I support the use of the Cannibas plant. But those drugs that will fuck your mind up pernamently I do not support.

"it" being the hacking community

Edited by Bill_Gevstorvsky

I really respect you for writing this. Lots of people are gonna lash back at you though. My best friend died in a car crash related to drugs, my brother made my mom depressed because of drugs, and my cousin went to rehab because of drugs. It runs in the family here, but I'm proud to say I haven't even drank alcohol or tried any form of drug and I'm 16. But I have taken tylenol. :D

Edited by F34TH3R

Stereotypes about people that use drugs are almost never right.

I know, I am simply pointing out that they are ruining it slowly. I support the use of the Cannibas plant. But those drugs that will fuck your mind up pernamently I do not support.

I wasn't going to reply to this thread, but here I am...

While I think in many cases drugs are harming many individuals in the community, they are making a choice. Them using drugs is a personal decision, and a victimless crime, and thus ideally would not be illegal.

I make the personal choice not to do drugs, and would not be pleased if someone came to me and told me I had to do drugs, I would feel they have no right to take a personal decision from me -- after all, me not doing drugs has no impact on you.

By the same token, telling someone they can't make the personal choice to do drugs seems equally wrong to me, and personally i'd like drugs to be legalized. If alcohol, why not cannibas or speed or acid?

I wasn't going to reply to this thread, but here I am...

While I think in many cases drugs are harming many individuals in the community, they are making a choice. Them using drugs is a personal decision, and a victimless crime, and thus ideally would not be illegal.

I make the personal choice not to do drugs, and would not be pleased if someone came to me and told me I had to do drugs, I would feel they have no right to take a personal decision from me -- after all, me not doing drugs has no impact on you.

By the same token, telling someone they can't make the personal choice to do drugs seems equally wrong to me, and personally i'd like drugs to be legalized. If alcohol, why not cannibas or speed or acid?

I can feel a flamewar coming on. But the reason that tobacco and alcohol are legal is beause they have payed the government. Drug use is okay...it's your body that your'e fucking up. But when you go out and drive while your'e on a drug, and you fuck other people up because of your stupidity, THAT's the point where you are hurting people. And hate to say it, it's happening more than it should.

I respect someones decision if they want to do drugs. I've done a bit myself (no im not addicted lol). However there is one annoying thing about it that I'd like to add. I hate it when I have a legit hacking question i need answered and I ask someone who normally knows, but they are too doped up to know what the fuck im talking about. Theres a more immediet thing, although I can always ask the next morning.

I can feel a flamewar coming on. But the reason that tobacco and alcohol are legal is beause they have payed the government. Drug use is okay...it's your body that your'e fucking up. But when you go out and drive while your'e on a drug, and you fuck other people up because of your stupidity, THAT's the point where you are hurting people. And hate to say it, it's happening more than it should.

Sure, but this is already true for alcohol; I think there is a massive overlap of the people who will drink and drive and those that will do drugs and drive. Irresponsible driving behavior is already a significant problem, one that I think legalized drugs will neither help nor hurt. Neither alcohol or drugs are the problem, it's irresponsible driving...

Driving is not a right, it's a privledge, and we should be more agressive about removing it for a DUI. Not for 30 days, but forever -- irresponsible drivers dont become responsible drivers very easily.

I've seen it stated that taking drugs is like hacking the brain (making it do something it wasn't designed to do) and so the hacking community has no problems welcoming it. Let me state for the record that drugs are for mind-hacking script kiddies. If you really want to hack your mind have it do something useful and unique not just something that makes you feel good for a short period of time. I might be the only one right now looking in to how to do this from a hacking perspective, I hope not, but by making a public effort in the future I hope to bring out those who have realized that drugs are the way to an expensive, temporary, unsatisfactory high with no ultimate usefulness and contrary to the hacker ethic.

of course with that said, not everyone sees drugs as hacking the brain and I'm not anti-drugs I just know there is a better way.

The problem isn't with drugs. The problem is that too many people don't have any clue what "moderation" is. Nothing succeeds(sp?) in kicking your ass like excess.

I was recently in contact with someone who went to Defcon and we had a long typing session of why drugs are ruining the hacking community,While he was At defcon he said that almost everyone was doing speed or some other drug.

I was at defcon, where was all this drug using going on? I never saw anything? Sure everyone was drinking but it's a conferance, one of those times when you indulage alittle bit because your far from home with people you don't see but once or twice a year. I'm not talk about the issue in general, but it seems that this person told you that, and you didn't witness it first hand. I'm here to tell you that the qualfier most is absolutely incorrect.

-Dr^ZigMan

Caffeine's a drug... :blink:

And you can become addicted, and have really bad withdrawl just like any other drug. Yet its legal. And the drug of choice for us "hackers"...

It depends on what drugs they're doing. There aren't a lot of common drugs that will "ruin" your mind, at least physically. Addiction is an entirely different beast, and it not exclusive to drugs. Saying that all hackers/phreakers need to stop doing drugs is ludicrous. Instead, you should research drugs and put the information out there. I can't stress the fact enough that you won't convince the people in the community to not do drugs by saying "I'm 100% clean, drugs rot your brain, don't do them!" It only works if you can make a valid argument against specific drugs. I can argue in favor of taking drugs like LSD, Mushrooms, and Marijuana all day, because I've researched them extensively. However, I would try to dissuade anyone from doing drugs like Cocaine, Meth, Heroin, etc.

Ultimately, people that gravitate towards the more serious drugs are going to do them, regardless of what someone on a hacking forum tells them, so it's essentially a lost cause.

Edited by sp0rk

im alright with them as long as someone doesnt try to kill me when they are on them. if they are my friends ill be alright with it as long as they dont cause any major damage. i think a better reason to not do drugs is the fuckin cops. i personally fear cops more than just about anything. alot of them just know how to pick you out and give you looks just by smelling your nervousness. the whole drugs fuck up your body thing isnt a big concern in the big picture. if they cops get ya......miserable beyond miserable would describe life every second of it. i dont really like hip-hop and rap type music but i had to go to a concert one time and even though the music was not the kind i liked, they had alot of the same beliefs and shit as the kind of people i like: weed and "fuck the police" ( no offense if youre a cop reading this) by the way....i made this whole post up...its a complete fictious story that i came up with. i actually love cops and dont even know what drugs are. in fact i dont even know why i am here on this hacking forum. hackers are all bad people. once again....hacking, drugs, fucking the police? what is that?

Heres some insight by one of the great comic minds of our time.

"You see, I think drugs have done some good things for us. I really do. And If you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor. Go home tonight take all your albums, all your tapes and all your CDs and burn them. 'Cause You know what the musicians that made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years? RrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrEAL fucking high on drugs..."

-Bill Hicks

We can note that nicotene, caffine, and alcohol are drugs.

So just about everyone in the world has ingested a pyscho-effective substance. It's just a matter of what you like. For the most part those who are going to get addicted most likely will, some people are just hardwired. That's just the name of the game becuase guess what drug addiction is a disease, not a charcter flaw, and must be treated as one.

I am waiting for the release of a narcolepsy drug, that allows you to stay awake for 60 hours without feeling drowsy and is not a stimulant. My productivity will triple, and so will my posts to binrev. :D

And where are the smart drugs we were promised along with the flying cars, and cold fusion.

Hackers have always been notorious drunks. That's nothing new. I haven't heard of anyone taking illicit drugs at conferences, but I'm sure that it happens.

Drugs are a choice. Personally, LSD was the most awful experience of my life, and I choose to not do it again. But I'm not stopping you from spending a day or two in terrifying psychedelic hell.

you should research drugs

Erowid is the best.

Erowid is good, but I generally don't offer it up to people looking to argue against drugs. Even though the information is impartial, it looks pretty pro-drug. I, instead, offer people the oportunity to argue against a drug. They usually bring up urban legends or common misinformation. At that point, I start linking them to medical studies and articles published by reputable sources.

I don't think its an issue that the "hacker" community is being dimished by the use of drugs. Its ALL comunities being destroyed by drugs. Over use of drugs and addicitions is a problem for lots of people around the world, It dosn't matter who you are if your addicted to drugs its a problem. Furthermore it is also a personal preference and if you have to risk it you must understand the conecept of moderation and must have an immensely strong will power.

I've always said Defcon is just a big 'omgnoparentslolz' party where immature kids go to do drugs and drink..it's sad

Go to some of the other cons, or perhaps USENIX if you have the money, and learn a lot, without the immature kids ruining it with their stupid emo problems that they need drugs to fix.

how the hell can you guys just talk about drugs so freely....and not even state that youre lying....ever heard of cops? theyre animals....fuckin animals...wait what? animals? my cousin typed all that..i personally think they perform a great public service.

I've always said Defcon is just a big 'omgnoparentslolz' party where immature kids go to do drugs and drink..it's sad

Go to some of the other cons, or perhaps USENIX if you have the money, and learn a lot, without the immature kids ruining it with their stupid emo problems that they need drugs to fix.

i hate emo's.....what a bunch of queers(they kiss guys by the way.....for attention..from the ladies....ya i know it makes no sense)...and emos dont do drugs......theyre too "ooh look at my hardcore scratches on my arm...ohhhh the pain....oooooo"

and all the girls are like "oh emos are sooo sensitive....i love emo boys"

Edited by Debris

You seem to have some deep seeded issues unrelated to this thread.

ok well then just disregard my distaste for emos and answer the post above that one.

and sorry.....dont ban me please.

Edited by Debris