Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bill_Gevstorvsky

Starting as a phreak

8 posts in this topic

I have been playing with the phones for a while and realy have no clue what I am doing. I would appreciate it if any of you peers of mine would be so helpful as to point me in the right direction. I am also interested in Cans because I have never seen the inside of one. Do you know any websites that have pictures so I can get a basic idea of whats in them?

I am also thinking of purchasing a laptop HD because I have a Inspiron 6800 that I got for free because the HD was broken. Know any websites that i could get the hardrive for 75 dollars and below? I know I should feel bad for using the laptop because it was made with Prison Labor, but what can I do? I got it for free.

Greatly appreciated,

--Cheers! From Russia B)

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Bill_Gevstorvsky

The best way to really get acquainted with phreaking is to read a bunch of the text files. Sites such as http://www.textfiles.com/phreak/PHREAKING/ are good but most of the stuff is rather dated. The best way to find more information is really to pick something in particular, in your case it looks like your intrested in beige boxing and seeing the inside of a "can". Check out HackTV epsiode two for a view inside a Remote Terminal and a small residential punchdown block. From their you can get an idea of what they look like. You can let us all know how things are different in Russia from the way they appear in the States! :)

Also this is another active thread on the same subject... http://www.binrev.com/forums/index.php?sho...ndpost&p=137687

-Dr^ZigMan

This information that you have shared with me is greatly appreciated. I just finished reading all the articles on Phreaking at http://www.textfiles.com/ and am still looking around on pricewatch and ebay. I am trying to find a oranoco (excuse spelling I realy don't know how to spell this company's name) card with a external antennae slot so i can put in a prignles can antennae.

P.S. I might post up a article with pictures of how things are different in RU when I get some spare time with my laptop and replace it's HD. The article will have payphone pictures :D!

Thank you very much

--Bill Gevstorvsky

Edited by Bill_Gevstorvsky

This information that you have shared with me is greatly appreciated. I just finished reading all the articles on Phreaking at http://www.textfiles.com/ and am still looking around on pricewatch and ebay. I am trying to find a oranoco (excuse spelling I realy don't know how to spell this company's name) card with a external antennae slot so i can put in a prignles can antennae.

P.S. I might post up a article with pictures of how things are different in RU when I get some spare time with my laptop and replace it's HD. The article will have payphone pictures :D!

Orinoco, is an excellent card that can easily put into monitor mode. The exact card you want is the Orinoco Gold card, that gets pretty good reception on it's own and has a plug in for an external antenna. Ebay has a seller that I highly recomend for wardriving products and that would be wardrivingworld. You can visit their store at www.wardrivingworld.com For about $50 (plus shipping) they'll send you the card a +6 DB antenna and a CD with some programs/tutorials on it. Pretty good deal.

However, depending on what you want to do with your wifi card you might also consider buying a card with the prism chipset (orinoco uses Hermes). Reason being a lot of programs are written to work with that chipset.

Can't wait to see the pictures, best of luck!

-Dr^ZigMan

The Orinoco Gold card is just what I have been looking for. Thank you for posting that, I appreciate it.

--Bill Gevstorvsky

oronico cards are the only wifi cards that work with beos too :)

Edited by Archlyric

The Orinoco Gold card is just what I have been looking for. Thank you for posting that, I appreciate it.

--Bill Gevstorvsky

Glad I could help... Wasn't sure if you noticed but, "The Doctor is in!" (thanks LogosX) heh.

-Dr^ZigMan