Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Strom Carlson

Introduction to Phreaking

16 posts in this topic

One possible Binrev Radio topic that may happen in the near future is "Introduction to Phreaking." If you have any specific questions you'd like answered on this topic, please email radio [at] binrev [dot] com or leave voicemail at (213) 415-1047. You can also reply to this thread.

Thanks!

I remeber one of the more intresting topics in a class I had back in college was covering the organization of the phone networks, I think that is always a good place to start, i.e. how a call gets placed from point to point. Who does what and where they do it. I would like to hear it from a phreak point of view.

GSM vs CDMA vs TDMA

Satellite phones

Definitely domestic call routing but also international would be interesting

CLEC vs ILEC vs RBOC vs ...

Troubleshooting a line

The evolution of the Phreak. From the "getting free calls" days of the 60's to what is has become today. Review all of the types of boxes red,biege and all the others would be good.

Better yet, which boxes still work, and even better than that, what boxes are still useful?

I remeber one of the more intresting topics in a class I had back in college was covering the organization of the phone networks, I think that is always a good place to start, i.e. how a call gets placed from point to point.  Who does what and where they do it.  I would like to hear it from a phreak point of view.

I covered this on BRR 111 but I guess I can rehash it

This may not be introductory, but I still have a question. I would like to know more about the *NIX System that you said the 5ESS or something runs on. Also, if ANI is passed by SS7, then how the hell to ANACs work? You mentioned that ANI 2 is transmited over SS7, so I assume that ANI and ANI 2 + II digits. You could also talk about ISDN, COCOT's, DATU, and cell phones. I don't know much about any of the above.

Better yet, which boxes still work, and even better than that, what boxes are still useful?

The only box that's still useful is the asterisk box, in my opinion. And maybe the beige.

And then you could show people what phreaking is all about by getting on the Walmart Intercom.

And then you could show people what phreaking is all about by getting on the Walmart Intercom.

Not the fucking walmart intercom again...

-Dr^ZigMan

whatever happend to Binary revolution radio? it's now default radio a-like show i noticed.

whatever happend to Binary revolution radio?  it's now default radio a-like show i noticed.

Haven't you heard? Hacking is dead.

Yo Strom-if it's gonna be an "intro to phreaking" maybe you should cover lingo/terms of phreaking, ani-cpn, tni boxes, then from there whatever you think should be be covered in an introduction.

Yo Strom-if it's gonna be an "intro to phreaking" maybe you should cover lingo/terms of phreaking, ani-cpn, tni boxes, then from there whatever you think should be be covered in an introduction.

You can google these acronyms fairly easily, though.

Edited by tiocsti

Not the fucking walmart intercom again...

-Dr^ZigMan

come on walmart intercom is 1337! :lol:

You can google these acronyms fairly easily, though.

But introductions should be just that...introductions... You would not teach a "intro to computers" class and never mention a monitor or mouse or keyboard...just as you would not do a intro to phreaking and fail to mention various terms.

Edit: But I'm sure he cant spend forever just listing terms, But it doesnt hurt to mention some.

Edited by |cfh|

If you are getting sort of technical, describe the differences between ANI, CPN, and charge number. Also, caller id spoofing is a hot topic these days, so a general explanation of how that works would be good.

One possible Binrev Radio topic that may happen in the near future is "Introduction to Phreaking."  If you have any specific questions you'd like answered on this topic, please email radio [at] binrev [dot] com or leave voicemail at (213) 415-1047.  You can also reply to this thread.

Thanks!

Ooh, me rikey.