Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dr. Z2A

Backups

12 posts in this topic

Ok so my sister just gave me her old powermac g3 running mac OS 9.2 (apperently she thinks its useless lol). So my dad said I could screw around with anything on the comp if I make a backup of the HD as it is now. I do not have a cd burner on the Mac. I have this computer which runs Windows XP and Linux, so I was thinking it might be possible to make a ghost of the HD and send it over the network to the comp I'm using at the moment, then burn it to some cd's on this comp. Is this possible and if so how would I do it? If not possible could anyone tell me how I might make a backup?

How much stuff do you have to back up?

Actually this is pretty n00bish but I don't get the chance to use macs much. How do I find out what my system specs and how big my HD is and such in Mac OS 9.2? I have no clue how much I would be backing up yet.

I would assume that the HD wouldnt be more than 80gigs, you can get a pretty cheap external HD for that size even if its more.. I think that this would be the best and easiest way too do it..

I would assume that the HD wouldnt be more than 80gigs, you can get a pretty cheap external HD for that size even if its more.. I think that this would be the best and easiest way too do it..

I'm kind of trying to avoid buying anything if I don't have to. If I can do it by burning it to some cd's on my laptop I woud do that first. I saw some external HD's today and it looks like they dont come under 120 gigs and they are pretty expensive (by my standards).

edit: also can anyone recommend to me some freeware that will make the ghost image for me?

Edited by Dr. Z2A

can you by anothere internal hdd an just copy every thing to the other hdd and then take it out and put it some were that is the only thing i can think of

Just ftp all the important stuff over to another box.

Yup, or alternatively, in order to save space when you burn to CD (and save you time in the long run), write a quick shell script to copy the important directories over to CD (so her document folders, maybe config files, etc.).

Or you could just partition the drive (I'm guessing you can do this on a mac, not being a user myself) and that way it should be pretty safe.

Yeah some external hdd tend to get pricy about a 100 buckz on a 80 gig http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/ca...d.asp?CatId=136 I got a 160 gig one I find it very convienient for saving stuff off of computer when I want to reformat or just store extra information. But you should explore your options, I myself dont have much expeirence with macs other than a little bit of video editing

Turn on sharing on your linux box so that you can ftp or ssh into it. Then connect a ethernet cable to the mac and linux box (Doesn't need to be crossover, but its better if it is). Boot the mac off of the system cd, and then make a copy of the hd using disk copy. Then mount the linux box and drag and drop to the linux share. Then save the copy somewhere. Thats all you need to do.

You don't need anything other then what it already has.

Boot the mac off of the system cd, and then make a copy of the hd using disk copy.

Ok first, I don't have any cd's for the comp. So can anyone tell me where I could get a system cd for OS 9.2 on download?

Also, how do I turn ssh on and off in linux? On everything i've used ssh for in the past it has been on by default.

For some linuxes, the control panel is where you turn on the ssh server. DamnSmallLinux has a push button for it. Now, for ssh with MacOs 9.2, you need extra software for ssh.

As for the system cd, do you know anyone with an old mac? If not, the other option is google.

http://www.lowendmac.com/lab/03/0102.html

http://lowendmac.com/macdan/2k0621cr.html

The only thing for this though is you need a cd burner, connected to the mac.

The last option is find a cheap hd to install and copy the hd from one to the other. I'm sure you can find on cheap new, or maybe even free used if you don't need more then 10 gigs. You only need to copy the system, utilities, and applications folder. The documents you can just send over ftp to another box.

Now, the only reason I suggested the boot cd is cause its hard to make a disk image of the hd if you 1) don't have more empty space then used space (Atleast 1.5 times more) and 2) cause you are writing and reading from the same partition that you are running the OS from. You can try using disk copy to make an image anyway and see if it can (It might, but I'm basing all this from memory since I moved to 10.3). If it does, then the boot cd isn't neccesary, it just makes everything a whole lot simpler.

Edited by chaostic