Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
.The_Box.

Call for help for Katrina survivors

19 posts in this topic

I know alot of you are probably sick of hearing this from TV and other started threads, but I really would like to see some help pushing through from what we have available for us.

Mind you guys, Im not talking about just giving money or things such as that, though those would greatly help the cause.

I've been searching frantically for payphones in my friends area who was in the storm's direct path. I finally got through to someone and got a hold of him extremely early the following morning when I called again. He said he is in a group of housing apartments with people from around the entire city of New Orleans itself, none of which he's ever met before.

I ask all of you... If you can, please find and post numbers for any payphones you can come across in that area, and call them! Try and get through! The top thing these people want to know right now is that there are others out there and that we know whats going on with them. If you can get through, ask if theres anyone they need contacted to let them know they are alive (family, friends, etc.). Tell them whats going on in the outside world. Tell them everything you know if you have to! Just reassure them we know they're still there.

Alot of my friends from school and I started this project today, and we would be incredibly greatful if some of the DDP members would lend a hand in this time of great turmoil for those ripped apart in the storm.

Please post numbers you come across for payphones in the area, and call them! Do whatever you can to get through!

-Box

I urge you to rethink this. The communication infrastructure in 504 is well over capacity in terms of traffic, and adding random voice calls, however well intentioned or well received, will only add to the problem. If this idea catches on as a meme, it could even make the situation seriously worse.

Best

A.T.

I agree, I beg you, do not do this!

I live in Crowley, LA, and all long distance is out because the circuts are so busy. This will only make it worse.

I urge you to rethink this.  The communication infrastructure in 504 is well over capacity in terms of traffic, and adding random voice calls, however well intentioned or well received, will only add to the problem.  If this idea catches on as a meme, it could even make the situation seriously worse.

Yes. What he says. After the flood hit, I dialed a few 504 numbers and I alternated between ACABN and the AT&T hurricane annoucement anyway.

Keep the communcations line open. Don't flood them with unneeded calls.

EDIT: I think the best idea is to contact your local Ham Radio group (such as something with ARES or RACES affiliation) and see if there is anyway you can assist with anyone handling radiotelegrams in and out of the area.

I've been helping a local church that has set up a mini shelter of 35 people.

The church has a cable internet connection. If anyone could throw a couple folders calling card numbers my way so they can call their family (via FWD) and tell them they are alright, I would appreciate it. Aslo, anyone know of any VoIP providers that are dirt cheap that they can use for this? It would have to be software based, like Skype or Gizmo.

Damn you are way west over there in Crowley, I'm in Houma, and all that really happened here was power outages.

And yeah, 800 numbers, and most long distance is out, but dialing 10-10-288-0 gets you out of the local area. Cingular is the major cell company down here (being part of bellsouth) and they are very sketchy, some work, some don't, most have no service.

As for most of the phones in NO, they are probably underwater, including however many CO's were there

Damn you are way west over there in Crowley, I'm in Houma, and all that really happened here was power outages.

And yeah, 800 numbers, and most long distance is out, but dialing 10-10-288-0 gets you out of the local area. Cingular is the major cell company down here (being part of bellsouth) and they are very sketchy, some work, some don't, most have no service.

As for most of the phones in NO, they are probably underwater, including however many CO's were there

I have a feeling that the average CO is more than capeable of withstanding a huricane and flooding

Also, I know that if I was in there situation, I wouldn't care about answering a payphone. I would be more worried about finding shelter//food//water.

I know alot of you are probably sick of hearing this from TV and other started threads, but I really would like to see some help pushing through from what we have available for us.

Mind you guys, Im not talking about just giving money or things such as that, though those would greatly help the cause.

I've been searching frantically for payphones in my friends area who was in the storm's direct path.  I finally got through to someone and got a hold of him extremely early the following morning when I called again.  He said he is in a group of housing apartments with people from around the entire city of New Orleans itself, none of which he's ever met before.

I ask all of you...  If you can, please find and post numbers for any payphones you can come across in that area, and call them!  Try and get through!  The top thing these people want to know right now is that there are others out there and that we know whats going on with them.  If you can get through, ask if theres anyone they need contacted to let them know they are alive (family, friends, etc.).  Tell them whats going on in the outside world.  Tell them everything you know if you have to!  Just reassure them we know they're still there.

Alot of my friends from school and I started this project today, and we would be incredibly greatful if some of the DDP members would lend a hand in this time of great turmoil for those ripped apart in the storm.

Please post numbers you come across for payphones in the area, and call them!  Do whatever you can to get through!

-Box

i'm sorry, your idea is just plain asinine.

I have a feeling that the average CO is more than capeable of withstanding a huricane and flooding

Well...they're pretty good, but they're not really all that watertight. They're designed to withstand a certain amount of abuse and hold up for a certain amount of time (I think a central office can last for a few days worth of power outages on its own, and can probably last indefinitely if there are crews to continuously refill teh generators. A flood is another matter entirely, and while the CO will probably not flood instantly, it will fill up with water and the switch will be rendered inoperable.

The fact that calls aren't going through to New Orleans is a function of the interexchange carriers, it seems; I attempted to dial 504-658-2500 from my voip line, which did not go through; same with my home telephone line. I forced the call over AT&T which took me quite by surprise when I heard "Hello! Cisco Unity Messaging Center." Either AT&T is routing calls correctly or the New Orleans Department of Health has set up a voicemail box elsewhere and having AT&T reroute all calls to the new location.

Of course, now AT&T is probably going to charge me $5. I'll have to see if I can talk my way out of this one....

It's much worse than I thought. Since I don't watch news, I was in the dark until I saw an ifilm clip that showed a newsreporter crying as she talked to a man that just lost his wife. Powerful stuff.

The thing I am most concerned with is the proliferation of aid that is going to the area. Are places like the Red Cross helping people who need it most, or are they going to the safest areas, or what? Any help is better than none I suppose, but one has to wonder. The majority of the people unable to leave were the poorer lower-middle class and outright lower class. How much does everyone care about them?

-_-

Hey, I wouldn't ant them in the deep parts of New Orleans, it's too dangerous. People are shooting at people trying to bring buses in, and one dude was getting rescued on the top of his house, and he pulled a gun on the dudes in the boat, made them get out, then took the boat. It's so insane right now, there has been at least 5 shootings in the Superdome, and around 6 rapings.

I don't blame them for getting out farther away, it's not safe. I wish our Governor would just call martial law in New Orleans so they can regain order.

About 20 min ago they said the Bell South building there was over heating because their cooling system is out. The jist I got was it is not airconditioned cooled. So their plan is to spray it with firetrucks. They also said the south east could loose phone service because the BellS building in question isn't their local CO or something.

And I agree not making any calls to that region as all circuits are busy or for emergency calling.

Hell the whole city is going to be closed very soon. Maybe in a few days call it and talk to a milititary police or construction worker.

And damn those gas prices, its over $3 / gallon here.

[Edit: The jist I got was it is not airconditioned cooled.]

[Edtied: I mean they were saying is ice cooled or something, I never heard of this]

Edited by Maxwell324

Fuck this shit my brother is with the 82nd airborne and I just got word that they are getting shiped out there for riot control... Im about fed up with this bullshit if someone pulls a gun on my brother while hes attempting to save their ass I hope that person gets shot in the fucking face.

As you can see im a bit on the angry side today..

I agree with you, this is retarded. Those ungrateful assholes deserve to be killed.

Fuck this shit my brother is with the 82nd airborne and I just got word that they are getting shiped out there for riot control... Im about fed up with this bullshit if someone pulls a gun on my brother while hes attempting to save their ass I hope that person gets shot in the fucking face.

As you can see im a bit on the angry side today..

Ihope no one does pull a gun your brother as well. I'm sure you would be a little more angry had you not eaten in a couple days, and watched people die 10 feet from you from being w/o food, water and medicine however. I have to say, the true bullshit here is that conventional armed forces are about to be used to police United States citizens. That is not supposed to happen, and hopefully you are misinformed. I also see how they could pull a fast one, and despite federal laws against military policing civilians, crowd control may not be considered "law enforcement". Either way, the government, by depleting National Gaurd resources and personnel, have put your brother in a jam. Hopefully he stays OK, and exercises judgement while policing citizens he should not be (though following orders). Try to keep in mind it is the fault of policy makers, not citizens who followed directions, that have caused this.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this case however, it is inaction that is causing a reaction. The people are just frustrated, and I am sure your brother will be fine. His training will more than make up for any shortcomings they are facing in crowd control...restrictions-wise.

Preparation people! Don't let this happen to you. In case you haven't noticed, your government has ballooned to the point it is now obviously completely ineffectual. (as if the fact I knew about, and was reacting to, the attacks of 9-11 before both the head of the NSA and members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff did not illustrate that enough already) It is up to you to protect yourself and your family. At the very least put together a contingency pack with rations and some type of water filtration system. I have put together a large kit encompassing 3 duffel bags borrowing ideas from sources like Joel Skousen's, Dave Paxton's, and forum member Tom Icom's webpages and writings. I am in the process of writing my own paper outlining the kit I have put together that works best for me.

About 20 min ago they said the Bell South building there was over heating because their cooling system is out. The jist I got was it is not airconditioned cooled. So their plan is to spray it with firetrucks. They also said the south east could loose phone service because the BellS building in question isn't their local CO or something.

And I agree not making any calls to that region as all circuits are busy or for emergency calling.

Hell the whole city is going to be closed very soon. Maybe in a few days call it and talk to a milititary police or construction worker.

And damn those gas prices, its over $3 / gallon here.

[Edit: The jist I got was it is not airconditioned cooled.]

[Edtied: I mean they were saying is ice cooled or something, I never heard of this]

That doesn't sound right to me. COs are like colo facilities; they have massive air-conditioning systems designed to keep the temperatures at very precise levels (telephone switches run hot). I could be wrong, of course.

If that building is a BellSouth tandem, then there is a likelihood of the area around New Orleans losing one of its links to the outside world, but the whole southeast is very unlikely to lose telephone service; the network is designed for redundancy. Even if a major bellsouth tandem in new orleans goes out, it will have no effect on, say, Atlanta.

I saw a fire on the news this morning near what looks to be a Bellsouth corporate tower. The building (Bellsouth's) itself seems to have been damaged pretty badly. This wasn't the CO, but a corporate office buiding. Probably about 20-30 stories or so from the looks of it.