Merk

My School

26 posts in this topic

My counties schools have just finished converting all the computer machines from G3 - 5. To Dells, and from At Ease, to Microsoft Windows XP. I was in my photography class, where we have to edit our pictures, and we just got our logins + passwords. So this was my first time on the computers. The first thing that I noticed was that theres nothing on your desktop, and theres almost nothing on the start menu, no find, no execute command, nothing except for all files, and then theres a folder called "startup" which is blank, and the menu. When you login, this folder, the menu, pops up that has everything an average person would need. And theres shortcuts to a lot of stuff in Program Files, and theres shortcuts to vbscripts which have the code to access another drive. They do everything indirectely and you can't access anything directly. So I was looking around and I started checking where the shorcuts pointed to. Most of them were in Program Files, but I wanted something that pointed to the main windows directory. So after a while I found a shortcut to notepad, it pointed to C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe. And I couldn't access any folders on the C:\ drive directely. So I made a shortcut to C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe. And now that I have the command line, I can basically do anything. I'm going to go and talk to the person who is in charge of the computers at my school and tell them about it. I just wanted to share that with you, in case your school is like that too. I have no intentions of doing anything malicious, I just wanted to see if I could get the command line. I also left a little note inside the same folder as the shortcut addressed to the monitoring software users.

School computer are fun, you could also hit the open button in a program and right click a folder and hit explore, that works for my district. Also, are you sure its county wide or township wide.

Nice find. Also note that when schools don't give you a command prompt, they also give you the internet (most of the time). So if you cant create a .bat then you can just go into internet explorer and view source. This brings up notepad so you can save a file as .bat. inside the .bat just write command and get yourself a command prompt. Once you get command line just use subst to make the c drive or whatever virtual (kind of similar to mounting your hd to a file in nix). Works for my school, but as the say something is not as strong as it's weakest link, and in my computer science class we have access to everything.....

Also note that when a school blocks out things like solitaire and shit like that, that since you have notepad, just go to open file and change the bottom from text files to all files, and explore around.

Lesson: Notepad owns

Edited by F34TH3R

I just make the computers go into Safe Mode, and practically everything is unlocked. Also, when you can select what to load as (when booting after a safemode crash) you can go right into the command line...

I never do anything bad with it, but it's interesting.

boot with the network cord out...

Maybe that works for where you are but without the ethernet cord we can't log in....and I think that some of the priveledges are restricted by a bash script upon login. Like perforated said...safe mode sounds nice.

Of course, many schools take away user privelages as regards commands on the prompt. In my old school, all the commands were banned to normal users and you couldn't search around the directory structure. Then again, I worked with the admins on that stuff...

Well, I thought my school had the settings tight, but I was wrong. it dosent matter too much now because they hired me as an apprentice(sp?) So for 2 hours a day I get to work on the comps here.

The web filter usually blocks this site, but I have gotten root, so I can bypass it.

I will give a complete description on hwo my school is setup when I get home today, but now I gotta get back to setting up this box. Later.

To execute commands on my schools computer I would just open autoexec.bat in word, then either point it another .bat i created to run, or just directly write my commands into there, and restart the computer.

I got in quite a bit of trouble this way.

Also, try using a livecd like hackthiscd or knoppix or something. They are linux so all the folders marked private that you can't get into you can now get into because linux doesn't care about what ntfs says is private.

That works, or using Menuet OS on a floppy is a bit less obvious. Your teacher will freak if they see the screen, but it's all good...

(Check out Menuet, it's pretty sweet, well, for being able to boot off a Floppy)

That works, or using Menuet OS on a floppy is a bit less obvious. Your teacher will freak if they see the screen, but it's all good...

(Check out Menuet, it's pretty sweet, well, for being able to boot off a Floppy)

my school just upgraded ALL their computers to G5's and new Dells. They don't have floppies. The floppy is slowly dying.. R.I.P.

is there a way to load Menuet onto a USB drive and boot from that? that would be SO much easier for computers lacking a floppy drive

Much of the stuff suggested would get you killed if administration were to find out.

Be careful what you do on those computers, ours are monitered. Also, think long and hard before you tell your school about the flaw you found. Your intentions are to help them, but from then on out they will see you as a possible security threat and will keep you tightly monitered.

BE CAREFUL!

just was looking at the menuet OS thing. How do you write floppies from floppy images? I did it a few times a long time ago but I have forgotten since then. Also does it work on PPC?

I tried that menuet floppy thing, seems cool.. I couldn't connect to teh net though.

ya same here.....how do we set it up so our internet works whenever we boot knoppix or menuet?

just was looking at the menuet OS thing. How do you write floppies from floppy images? I did it a few times a long time ago but I have forgotten since then. Also does it work on PPC?

There are some free programs that will write floppy images for you... I am using "WinImage".

As for internet, I can't tell you. I used it awhile back, and just remembered about it, and all the floppies I make corrupt.

if your using knoppix, etc you have to amually setup your internet. im guessing you school has a dhcp server as well as a proxy. just run the newrok card config, then edit the application settings for the proxy.(basically your un and pw to logon)

I was away for a while, long thread.

In response to what most of you said, I'm in photography class, we have to do some digital editing. That's the only time so far that I've been able to use them. They disable *EVERYTHING* on the start menu, except for the Shool Menu that has all the apps and menus and so on. The desktop is not in any way functional. If you try right clicking or dragging anything on, nothing happens. I know I am being monitored and I left them a note on how to solve this problem. I am afraid of opening up IE for anything, as it would be a bit obvious that I am doing something that I'm not supposed to, as we haven't been doing anything relating to the global interweb. I do have a 512 MB pen drive, and I will be bringing Cygwin and Dev-Cpp and having fun with that if I get a chance. But my idea is to be looked upon as someone who knows a shitload more than the teachers about computer machines, and someone who is helpful with them. Else, I could land my ass in court. In school, I do not have the best record of stuff. In fact, one time I was bringing a taken apart Tape Recorder / Player (I wanted the magnetic heads, for the magnetic stripe reader in the second newest 2600), and someone was just curious as what the hell I brought with me everyday (my backpack always has a large buldge, usually carrying techie books), so I showed him. And after I showed him the tape recorder, he said "Is that it?" And another teacher overheard. The security guard took me out of class later, had searched my locker, and started asking me a lot of strange irrelevant questions trying to pressure me into telling him that I brought something in my backpack to school that could be harmful. They found Applied Cryptography, the Spring 2600, Oreilly's Network Hacks, Dietel and Dietechs Programming C++, and The Art of Intrusion. They thought that the taken apart tape recorder had been a bomb, and after searching my locker they called the police. They questioned me and after a while they just came out and said that they searched my locker, thought I had a bomb, and the books your reading sound pretty damn malicious. I explained the story, it was in the 2600 mag, you can look at it, my friend has a soldering iron at his house, and we're going to use it to make a magnetic stripe reader. They brought a bunch of kids who knew me, including the kid who asked what was in my locker ( he thought that they talked to him because they thought that he put some pot in my locker, the kid does a lot of pot), and the kid who has a soldering iron. They then found out I didn't bring anything bad ( the police can verify this, she seemed to have some sort of catalog on her laptop while looking at the dismantled magnetic heads + rest of tape recorder that I needed a smaller screwdriver to get off). I also have other stuff on my record that wouldn't help my situation. But I am at a new school, and I want them to think well of me.

EO Very Long Post

you think your school is not secure, i dont even have to do anything to get to the command prompt but click on start :)

whatever you do be careful because in my town at my high school one day i decided to netview all the computers on the network... then i decided to netsend a simple freakin message that said "you are teh suck!11!!" or whatever... i was probably high so i forgot i even did it immediately... 10 mins later some gaywad sys admin comes in with a screenshot of a netmsg and lets just say my grade suffered and i had to watch my ass the rest of the semester... for a gd message!!! if they didn't want messages to be sent why not turn off netsend and leave me alone!!

whatever you do be careful because in my town at my high school one day i decided to netview all the computers on the network... then i decided to netsend a simple freakin message that said "you are teh suck!11!!" or whatever... i was probably high so i forgot i even did it immediately... 10 mins later some gaywad sys admin comes in with a screenshot of a netmsg and lets just say my grade suffered and i had to watch my ass the rest of the semester... for a gd message!!! if they didn't want messages to be sent why not turn off netsend and leave me alone!!

You really haven't researched these commands have you? net send is totally traceable, and since you probably sent it to every computer on the network, I doubt anyone could escape noticing your message. Added to that the nature of your message, and I would say your sys admin was totally within his rights.

The lesson? Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD do it. And don't do anything stupid enough to get caught, especially at school, those PCs are for educational use, not for every 14 year old wannabe 31337 H4x0r.

Its funny how places are soo insecure, I advised my local library to run a linux distro such as ubuntu, they said I'm a hacker and i want to distroy them, How do you pass the message across without mking people scared?