Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
markilark

Good card for warwalking?

13 posts in this topic

If you're gonna drop a lot of money on a wireless card, I'd wait until 802.11n cards become widely available.

Is that considered alot of money? What about all this "pre-n" business, what exactly is pre-n?

Edited by markilark

When you can get an Orinoco Gold card for $20, yes, anythign over $100 is alot of money. I don't know too much about the "pre -n" business, but I'll have to read up.

i like the Orinoco cards alot. it always seem to do better then my Netgear card.

quite nice, dual antenna connectors, etc.

prism 2.5 too, you shouldnt have a problem with linux.

i still prefer my orinoco gold, but compared to the highpowered senao.. that's a good deal.

EDIT: erp.. i just made the effort to actually look at what the price is.. if you're well off for cash, its got rice factor (cool for showing off to like-minded friends).. but if you're an average joe like most of us, you might want to find something cheaper (wireless adapters PCI/PCMCIA have SHIT resale value).. i'd suggest looking for senao or orinoco gold on ebay.

Edited by plexus

Pre-n cards are cards that access 11b & g aps like normal, but have inculded features based of the preliminary 802.11n standard for 104mbs connections. Since it is preliminary standards, not finalized or anything, these cards might not work without a firmware upgrade if the 11n aps change in how they connect at n speeds.

Then again, this is an educated bullshit, since it is very plausible.

I warwalk with my pocket PC. It does not look as strange.

The only thing I don't like about that card is it's b only. I have my router set to ignore anything that isn't 802.11g.

When war driving/walking and you come across a Belkin Pre-N wireless access point it means that the unit will be Wireless N compattible when N comes out.

--Cheers

Bill Gevstorvsky, From Russia B)

When war driving/walking and you come across a Belkin Pre-N wireless access point it means that the unit will be Wireless N compattible when N comes out.

--Cheers

Bill Gevstorvsky, From Russia  B)

Dont believe the hype ;-)

Belkin have tried to pre empt the market by releasing their own proprietry N standard. The problem is that there is no ratified N standard at the moment and there are 3 pressure groups with different strategies of how to achieve the extra range/bandwidth all fighting out amongst themselves. One thing you can be sure of is that the final ratified N standard will not be compatible with Belkin's pre N equipment.

A similar thing happened with 802.11g (i.e. people released pre-g equipment) but the standard was finished and awaiting ratification so backwards compatibility between G and pre G wasnt so much of a problem.

On a side note, do not bother with the pre N stuff as it is as flakey as a snake with excema. Do a google on belkin pre n problems and youll see rafts of caveats - so much so that Belkin are replacing units for people no quibble. One chap on a forum I read had 4 new units from belkin before telling them to stuff it up their bums.