Debris

Learning C

21 posts in this topic

Can anybody give me a link to a very good online free tutorial of C for windows users?

Can anybody give me a link to a very good online free tutorial of C for windows users?

Well this isn't an online link but there are several excellent hardcopy books on the subject. Don't let the price scare you off as you can either check them out from the library or just sit down in the book store (Barnes and Nobels etc etc) and read them. My personal favorite is "An Absolute Beginners Guide to C" but there really are a million of them out there.

I tend to reserve my online searching for when I have a specific question/issue that isn't in whatever physical books I have. Also the linux man pages can be a huge help (most of the time).

-Dr^ZigMan

I agree with Dr^ZigMan, online tutorials are ok, but nothing beats a good book. I personaly havn't tried "An Absolute Beginners Guid to C" but I love "C Primer Plus" by Stephen Prata. It's an awsome book. Also windows specific c programming is more an advanced topic the subject matter in most c books will be platfom non-specific, although they will usualy have a section devoted to the various platforms how to compile and what to use etc. hope that helps, and happy coding ;-)

well i like doing what the book teaches at the same time as i learn it so i think im going to go with the libray option....school starts tomorrow so ill have less time to devote to learning important stuff.....so i geuss its going to take longer than it could.

This actually saddens me. I have two books here, The C Programming Language, And Advanced Unix Programming. I have picked up neither and you are in need of a book. :( But nope, i ain't givin' you neither. :P Haha. I'm going to read 'em.

what about when youre done? could ya mail them...and when im done ill mail them right back...well actually just the book about c is the one i need.

Well this isn't an online link but there are several excellent hardcopy books on the subject. Don't let the price scare you off as you can either check them out from the library or just sit down in the book store (Barnes and Nobels etc etc) and read them. My personal favorite is "An Absolute Beginners Guide to C" but there really are a million of them out there.

I tend to reserve my online searching for when I have a specific question/issue that isn't in whatever physical books I have. Also the linux man pages can be a huge help (most of the time).

-Dr^ZigMan

Let me second Dr^ZigMan'a personal favorite is "An Absolute Beginners Guide to C" it is a easy read and you could find it in a Half Price Books or some used book store for sure it has been around for a long time. You dont need the newest $60 book for C it has not changed since the first books that you can find at used book stores.

painfull

some more change for you all

http://cprogramming.com/

how i learned, then i took a college class in c++ hahah its core for my major so F'k off! id rather c anyday of the week. except monday thats sleep day.

Well I have the K&R on my site, it's an ebook, yeah, but it's one of the best documented C tut. ever! who agrees with me?

*** Edited by Psypherx: Please don't link to sites that have illegal copyrighted content ***

Hope to see some good code from you in the near future.

Are you talking windows programming, for C, or just C on windows. If you are intresting in the previous you are really delving into two topics, C, and the Windows API. I have done some windows api stuff in C not alot, stick with C++ for windows api. For free I always recommend the Bloodshed's C++ IDE, for programming on windows.

http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

If you like the gui approach, if not use *nix.

the book I used which I highly recomend was Practical C (oreilly)

ok this has nothing to do with C but if you insterested echoecho.com has some realy goot tuts on html, java, and a bunch of other web and server codes.