Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ZELDAdog

My USB adaptor for the Xbox Live Headset

6 posts in this topic

Just when you really need your digital camera to work, mine fails me. If you happen to have a driver for the Cobra DC125, you should probably not send me a copy as that might be construed as piracy. But the library pirates books in a fashion. That being said...

HOW TO:

Parts you'll need:

Xbox Live Headset (both parts with the 2.5mm jack and the part you plug into the controller)

A USB cable with a male end (not the small square kind, you need the flat one)

Screwdriver

Hacksaw (I love that word)

Solder(ing Iron)

PC Board (optional)

Hot Glue (optional)

Step 1:

Open up an Xbox controller. You might want to use a broken one, but since it should stay operational depending on your skill, you could option for your good one. Without pics I can't be too specific, so you need to desolder the plug from the controller, and take out the top piece that holds in the mic. The plastic holder is one part. So assuming that you have the plug piece and the plastic holder...

Step 2:

Okay, I said hacksaw, but I found a bandsaw to be better, just don't remove your fingers while you do this. You will need all ten for this project. Cut between the two cylinder parts.

C====D
----------------
    C====D

Cut on the dotted line. Now you have two pieces of plastic and a plug with 5 pins coming off of it. Now for assembly :)

Step 3:

Assembly starts with you cutting the end of the USB cable. Hopefully you are reading through this before you do it, so you dont cut it too short. Cut it the right length so that you still have the male connector on your cable and it is useful to you. You should see 4 wires: RED (+5 V) BLACK (-5V) GREEN (I think its -Data, but if you get it backwards we will find out if you complain to me) WHITE (+Data). Connect your wires to the PC board chunk. The PC board only needs 5 holes in it, and you can pick it up at RatShack or similar (another use for your bandsaw). Connect like so:

RED - WHITE - GREEN - BLANK - BLACK

Re-read that if you have lysdexia. Your Plug apparatus should be able to go in just above the wires

(plug)(PC board)(Wires)  ==__........

Once you have soldered that, test your headset before continuing. You should have a hard time doing this wrong, but in case I don't put up enough details because I don't have the driver for my camera, here you go:

My PC board looked like this - ::::: - five holes makes it almost screw up proof :) You might need to know this though - (==)(===) in order these are (-5v)(V-sync)<you dont need that. (GREEN)(WHITE)(+5v)

My V-sync bridged with -5v , but the mic has no pin for the v-sync, that and there is no USB wire for it that I know of. Hook it up and test it. Either it will say "Unknown USB device/Malfunction" or "Generic Device" or something. If it says "malfuctioning device" flip your white and green wires. If that dont fix it, tell me.

Step 4:

Hot Glue the plug into the bottom of the plastic holder. Be cautious not to get in the holder, just get it all over the bottom of this bitch, because if you still use the mic, this adaptor is going to get some abuse.

Orient like this:    -------------
                      (==)(===)
                      FRONT

I don't do ascii :)

I put a liberal amount of glue on the cable and attached it to the back of the adaptor and all over the PC board. This increased the reliability of my adaptor. Now Check that everything fits and works.

Step 5:

Now to listen to the results. Download this driver Install it and it should work.

NOTE: I am doing all of this running Windows XP. If there is a driver for linux, I will edit it into the post. Have fun with your new headset. BTW, I didn't tell you how to put your controller back together because I didn't do that. Mine is shot, so I hope you read twice and cut once.

I use it for listening to music and skype.

Edited by ZELDAdog

well... I'm a PC only kinda guy... none of that X-box, PS2 crap here :D

nah, man I like it. though I don't have much use for it. I did however make a XBCD controller. It worked very well except for my controller was a little broken on one of the analog sticks so the deadzone had to be a bit bigger then I liked.

Wow, nice. Mind if I post this on other websites and link back here?

what would be nice for any game system is a keyboard and mouse insted of those controler things any one know how to do this