18 posts in this topic

http://www.neurosaudio.com/store/prod_442.asp

This product is the Neuros 442.

442.jpg

It is called the 442 because it has

40 Gigabytes (4)

Approx 4" screen (4)

Dual core CPU (2)

It is still firmware, but the project aims to make it open source and run linux, adding Quicktime and X-Vid functionality as well. Already it has WMV, MPEG, AVI and Div-X support. It can use flash memory cards as storage, in addition to the 40 GB youve got. It will also be able to record media rather than simply playing it.

I just want to know the price!!

-elchoaro

That's the sexiest thing I've seen in awhile :D

I really hate to say this, but why would anyone really need a portable video player? Honestly, as if it wasn't bad enough for your eyes to stare at a TV all day, now you can stare at a 4 inch screen! The only real use for something like this (in my mind) would be for an airplane trip, and I just bring my laptop around for that. Anyone have any idea about the battery life?

-Dr^ZigMan

Those portable type video players are pretty sweet at school. You can just watch videos all class..

Those portable type video players are pretty sweet at school.  You can just watch videos all class..

Hey here's a crazy idea... Why not pay attention in school? That way, when you grow up, I don't have to pay for you to be on welfare.

-Dr^ZigMan

Those portable type video players are pretty sweet at school.  You can just watch videos all class..

Hey here's a crazy idea... Why not pay attention in school? That way, when you grow up, I don't have to pay for you to be on welfare.

-Dr^ZigMan

hahahaha.....yaaa....hahaha oh man ziggy....youre a riot....(by the way, do you like Quantum Leap? i looooove that show)

I say, use your laptop for that kind of shit, and if you can't use a laptop at that moment in time, then you probably shouldn't be watching movies anyways.

Whatever happened to sleeping in classes anyways?

Don't worry.. these l337 gadgets are only for us male supermodel secret agents.

http://www.neurosaudio.com/store/prod_442.asp

This product is the Neuros 442.

442.jpg

It is called the 442 because it has

40 Gigabytes (4)

Approx 4" screen (4)

Dual core CPU (2)

It is still firmware, but the project aims to make it open source and run linux, adding Quicktime and X-Vid  functionality as well.  Already it has WMV, MPEG, AVI and Div-X support.  It can use flash memory cards as storage, in addition to the 40 GB youve got.  It will also be able to record media rather than simply playing it.

I just want to know the price!!

-elchoaro

$399.99 right now. If I were you i would get one now, we have an 6 months return policy that will end in 4 days (sunday: 9/26/2005) ;) . This is new info, so if anybody is interested jump on it. Check out the gamma terms (again only 4 more days to get these terms) and our forum for feedback of current users. www.neurostechnology.com

Johan

Neuros

Edited by johan

Actually, RCA already has a similar device out...the Lyra. It started out as a mp3-only player, but the new ones play video. They also have a CF slot. I don't know about open source, but I do know you can upgrade the hard disk with a laptop disk, and that they operate as a USB mass storage device. They also have a line-in jack for recording.

I've seen these for like 150~200 dollars at asian market night at my Uni.

Seriously, if you want one, just go with a cheap asian one. Same goes for mp3 players.

yo i bought one of these from www.woot.com for 400 dollars plus 5 shipping about 2 or 3 weeks ago... at the time it was the only place you could buy them at... it could definitely use some open source work.... but it is suuuuucchh a cool toy!!! ok so heres the low down the reason i bought this is not to watch movies in class (im in college no point its just a waste of the 60+ dollars per class) not to watch on airplanes cuz i don't really fly very often... a very cool feature of this thing is the inline recording and video out.... so i can hook this baby up to the TV and grab anything from family guy episodes to movies on HBO etc etc... so not only can it be recording ffrom that source... (or any source that has rca for that matter) it can also output the image on the TV too so that you can watch it while it records in full screen and not have to stare at the little screen.... also... as soon as i fill out the stupid form, i either get a 70 dollar rebate OR a fuckin thing tthat u hook up to ur cable box thta is basically like tivo and then you can hook your guy up to it and sync the recordings... this way you do not even have to be anywhere near the tv when the scheduled thjing comes on.... it does scheduled recording.s... which is about the only thing you can't do right now with just the media player.... iam sooooooo pleased with this purchase and it is sooooo coolll.... not to mention 40 gigs is a good amount of space as once you record a half hour show rip the commercials and change the format to a better one (right now the recorder only records asx and at H(half)VGA...( however when it comes out open source and to the public it will be more than HVGA) the shows only take up about 150-160 megs....not bad at all!!! as for battery life, i usually keep it plugged in so im not sure of the exact battery standards.... but fuckin a

overalll A++++++ badass fuckni media player

oh did i mention it also records audio, video, plays audio, video, views pictures, wow!!! can't wait til itts open source some problems definitely need to be kinked out

for one:

when listening to an mp3, you can't roam around looking for the next song... once you un-highlight a song it stops playhing----WEAK!!! this might make sense for video but come on for mp3s? how are you supposed to find a next song to play....

actually thats like myu only gripe so far.... i shall be awaiting your questions and comments for i am a real human being that owns the neuros 442....... which is actually so called the 442 because of the Oldsmobile 442, a classic muscle car with a four-speed transmission, a four-barrel carb and dual exhaust. (Four, four, and two, see?) yea yea anyway enough rambling... its sweet... bottom line