XxthugstylezxX

books

25 posts in this topic

Ok so now that i have a financial situation to buy books to learn more. What are some that you guys recommend i get?

If you have a Mac and are interested in Cocoa, I suggest Aaron Hildegass' "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X Second Edition."

Otherwise, get a sweet-ass PHP book, which I'll be in the market for myself eventually, so I don't have any recommendations for that so far.

Silence on the wire only read some of it but it looks good

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

Nice book on WIKI tools

http://www.wifi-toys.com/

Im shore you have read this one =p

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=books

Those are some...

Hehe as i was writeing this thread i was in the process of ordering that and its on its way.

Has anyone read either of Kevin Mitnicks books? They seem interesting by the description, but I want to know how good of a read they are. I am thinking of picking some books up soon too, so suggestions are taken kindly.

I have read most of The Art of Deception and it started out cool but it just dragged for me so I never finished it. Maybe something cool was around the corner but I did not see it, and I wasn't interested enough to keep going. I only started reading the book because people talked about it like it was gold so maybe it was the overhype that took me for a turn.

Mitnicks books are a good read, the Stealing the Network ones are good to, in the same vein. Both are very, very entertaining, and kind of informative.

I personally love the Google hacking books out there. Google Hacks from O'reilly (make sure you get edition 2) and Johnny Long's Google Hacking for Pen Testers.

Johhny's book is great for anyone not just pen testers. I only understood about half-three quarters of it, but I still say get it. I learned so much from it. I'm sure anyone would agree that really in this day and age, on a lot of subjects, the person who knows the most, is the one who uses Google best. ;)

Has anyone read either of Kevin Mitnicks books?

I've read "the art of intrusion". Each chapter describes a situation where someone was able to misuse somebody else's computer system for their own personal gain. The chapter describing one group's scheme to defeat las vegas gambling machines by understanding how their pseudo-random number generator worked is the one that sticks in my mind as the most interesting and unusual. I thought it was a good read. Each chapter stands on its own, so it'd be a good book for people who don't have the time or the inclination to read it cover-to-cover.

Security Warrior (albeit outdated now) is an extremely good book. There are a few topics that it barely touches on (WinCE cracking, true implications of wifi) but that's only because they were young fields when the book was written. I've read my copy about twice now and its tattered pages show it.

I've been reading "The Tao of Network Security Monitoring" by Richard Bejtlich (bait-lick) and it's extremely useful. The whole book builds describes what real NSM is and how to build many appliance using FreeBSD and some quad NICs. I'm anxious to read Bejtlich's book on Extrusion Detection.

Start looking at Addison-Wesley, they're playing catch-up to O'Reilly but are catching up in an extremely smart and serious way.

Here's the master list for networking books:

TCP/IP Illustrated Vol 1 at least!: W. Richard Stevens *

Internetworking with TCP/IP: Douglas E. Comer

TCP/IP Network Administration: Craig Hunt

The Switch Book: Rich Seifret *

Anything starred is a major bonus. With these books alone I have managed to garner so much resepct from teachers, peers and coworkers, because no one seems to want to learn the details.

The Art of Deception is certainly entertaining to my sick sense of things, but as stated previously, trailled off about half-way through the book as things were rehashed in different situations. This and the Stealing the Network series are good for kicks... I'd definetly recommend the Stealing the Network series... As far as hacking, I'd have to recommend among programming books, Hacking: The Art of Exploitation, this is a wonderful read and is essential in my opinion. Security Warrior is definetly on the list, because as it states in the foreword, it is meant to build on already acquired skills and attempt to sharpen them or introduce you to new skills and point you in the right direction... Network Network Security Tools is another good read / reference for building and expanding tools... Further down the road, after certain programming (C, Assembly, etc...) foundation is secured, I'd recommend Hacker Disassembly Uncovered, The ShellCoder's Handbook and Exploiting Software: How to Break Code, this is not only an enjoyable, but also very informative. Probably the best advice that I can offer to anyone asking about books is: When selecting books, be aware of the fundamentals, check to see who the author is writing the book for, and first start with books that build an adequate foundation for future purchases.

I have read most of The Art of Deception and it started out cool but it just dragged for me so I never finished it. Maybe something cool was around the corner but I did not see it...

Man, you should have kept going. The last chapter is awesome. Mitnick social engineers some nurses to kill their patients. It's classic!

Start looking at Addison-Wesley, they're playing catch-up to O'Reilly but are catching up in an extremely smart and serious way.

I totally agree. A-W is really coming out with some good books. I reccomend Wi-Foo if your looking to get into some wireless stuff.

As far as just casual reading the stealing the network series was a fun (and quick) read for me.

Check out no starch press too; they have some good bsd/linux reads.

does anyone know of some good books i could get for free

does anyone know of some good books i could get for free

http://www.gutenberg.org/

Edit:Sans has a reading room if you security minded that is pretty good, though they arent books, just whitepapers:

http://www.sans.org/rr/

You could look for (non-copyright of course) books using Google, read this tfile for tips:

http://www.docdroppers.org/wiki/index.php?...cking_For_Media

Edited by Evolve

Bruce Eckel makes good programming books which are available both in free electronic ebooks you can download for free, or you can buy a real paper version of it.

Here's his website:

http://www.mindview.net/

Happy reading ;)

Universal Command Guide: For Operating Systems

You can find it for 30-45$ or so on amazon ...or you can be a cheap bastard and read tidbits and parts of it off their homepage: http://www.ucgbook.com/ Though its really a great book to have with you. Well worth the $$ :D ( But it bothered me that there is a section with tables comparing certain commands and they MIX UP OpenBSD commands with commands that are used on RedHat Linux *shudder* ..very weird but obvious enough for you to go "Hey ...thats not it...." ) But overall its really a great book/reference.

Ok so i ordered "Hacking: Art of exploitation" ;

So what should i get next? I want something that'll teach me something ether new or more in depth of something i already have some knowledge on. Though i would like to start getting into linux more so then i am. I mean im going to have 2 linux classes in college starting this quarter. So any suggestions? I'm considering a few of the books mentioned already

Steal this computer book

If anything at all it offers great resources. I find that it does a pretty good job of showing the reader how to use the internet as a highly effective tool. The main purpose of the book is to inform the reader of what is available on the internet, how they can use it for there own good, and how to avoid becoming a target. I would say that it's a good start for someone who doesn't have much technical knowledge of computers, and also a good resource for anyone who's looking for different viewpoints on ideas and beliefs. The whole book itself is dedicated to the internet, what I found most interesting was that it flat out tells you not to read the book and take anything in it as fact, instead it tells you to take the information and make your own opinions on what it has to offer and the validity of it.

So what should i get next? I want something that'll teach me something ether new or more in depth of something i already have some knowledge on. Though i would like to start getting into linux more so then i am. I mean im going to have 2 linux classes in college starting this quarter. So any suggestions? I'm considering a few of the books mentioned already

Well, if you're looking for something to follow "Art of Exploitation" You could consider The Shellcoder's Handbook. It's pretty advanced, and it'd help if you have a C and/or Assembly background.

Otherwise, I have a friende that swears by Code Reading: The Open Source Perspective. I haven't looked at it too closely yet, but it claims to help you understand how to read good code, which is one of the ways to learn better coding.

PF

If you are going to be working with various operating systems, the book i mentioned is a must. It'sbout 1600 pages of content ..comes with a cdrom if you are a lazy fucker and wanna search through it on that. I've never really used the cdrom...i liked using the book more so. It's put together pretty well.

I believe a friend of mine told me that he was reading this: ( http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846 ) and that it is very useful. I cant agree because i have yet to look into it.

Edited by |cfh|

I like anything from oreilly, they have great books