Abnerian

Where can I learn about hex editing?

18 posts in this topic

All google returns is Halo-2 stuff. I'm not into hexing games. I'd like a general app-hexing tutorial. I want to be able to figure out what to edit, rather than having guides tell me.

Can anyone help me out?

You can edit anything, it's up to you.

Well...how can I determine the effect?

....anyone?

Edited by Abnerian

Edit and see the effect for yourself. BTW: Don't forget to backup.

So it's just guess-and-check? That seems....Inefficient.

Edited by Abnerian

Apologies if I've misunderstood what you meant by "hex editing", but if you want to manually modify the instructions and/or data contained in program and library binaries, then you'll probably want a disassembler. Different systems have different disassemblers. On GNU/linux, it's called "objdump". Try running objdump -wrD on a program or library binary.

This will give you assembly code equivalent to the machine code in the binary. It may be hard to puzzle out, but you can use this code to figure out what the binary is doing.

Apologies if I've misunderstood what you meant by "hex editing", but if you want to manually modify the instructions and/or data contained in program and library binaries, then you'll probably want a disassembler.  Different systems have different disassemblers.  On GNU/linux, it's called "objdump".  Try running objdump -wrD on a program or library binary. 

This will give you assembly code equivalent to the machine code in the binary.  It may be hard to puzzle out, but you can use this code to figure out what the binary is doing.

Nah, but i'll keep that in mind for when I get to that level. *saves to HD*

Search google for crack tutorials, since that's what you want.

It's not, you're assuming things. I can get a crack for whatever game I want, why would I need to hex it?

It's not, you're assuming things. I can get a crack for whatever game I want, why would I need to hex it?

"getting" a crack and cracking a game are two different things. One, any idiot with a mouse can do. The other is quite difficult. Sounds to me like whatever is you want to do (wouldn't want to assume) why not read some crack tuts. You will learn lots about disassembly and alteration of code.

"getting" a crack and cracking a game are two different things. One, any idiot with a mouse can do. The other is quite difficult. Sounds to me like whatever is you want to do (wouldn't want to assume) why not read some crack tuts. You will learn lots about disassembly and alteration of code.

Oh, sorry. My mistake, thought you were accusing me of wishing to crack a game. Nah, I just want to know about all those numbers I see when I open something in a hex editor. What can I change? If I want to change a value to make the program do something I want it to, how can I?

Nah, I just want to know about all those numbers I see when I open something in a hex editor. What can I change? If I want to change a value to make the program do something I want it to, how can I?

OK, that's what I thought you wanted with my earlier post. You'll want to learn to use a disassembler and you'll also need to learn some assembly code. Although I have never seen one, those "game cracking" tutorials mentioned earlier might be of some use, as cracking copy protection is one thing you can do with these skills. I'd advise you not to crack games because (1) it can't possibly be worth the legal trouble you can get yourself into, and (2) there are a lot of creative things you can do with these skills that I imagine would be more challenging and rewarding. For example, point your favorite web search engine at "Software Fault Isolation" or "SASI Enforcement of Security Policies" and take a look at what you find. Both of these technologies allow you to improve the security of programs by modifying binaries in a clever way.

Well the numbers mean something, so I use

http://koti.welho.com/ahoyden/download/frhed156.zip

when I goto hex something becuase it displays the text next to it, and you can search for text strings you wnt to edit also..

If you have any specific questions, hit me up, I'm not a pro, but I know a little and would be glad to try to help you out.

Edited by Logic

Personally, i'd download a eBOOK. I actually have a few of them, if you want one i could email it to you just tell me.

Well the numbers mean something, so I use

http://koti.welho.com/ahoyden/download/frhed156.zip

when I goto hex something becuase it displays the text next to it, and you can search for text strings you wnt to edit also..

If you have any specific questions, hit me up, I'm not a pro, but I know a little and would be glad to try to help you out.

abnerian@gmail.com

I would be very grateful.