Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shadow

Jabber, Aim, Gmail, and Gaim

6 posts in this topic

I got my gmail account, im online. Can I i/m aim users or is it ONLY jabber users? If so how?

Dont know what im talking about? Click Here

From IT: Google Talk Available Early

Google

Posted by ScuttleMonkey on Tuesday August 23, @07:22PM

from the resourceful-users dept.

smash writes "Google's new IM service is already live. All you need is a Jabber-compatible Instant Messaging client (such as Apple's iChat, or gaim), and a GMail address." This should answer, at least in part, all of the speculation that has been flying around the net over the last couple of days. Stay tuned to Google tomorrow for details.

slashdot.com

Edited by shadow

From what I understand, it's just Jabber for now. Just like you can only talk with AIM users with the native AOL Instant Messenger, and with other MSN users through the native MSN Messenger.

However, you're still more than welcome to help yourself to the plethora of multi-chat clients out there, of which Trillian is king for Windows, Gaim is for Linux/Unix, and AdiumX (IMHO) is for Mac OS X.

Alrighty I got my Google talk (Here at http://www.google.com/talk/index.html) and signed up. I just wanted to say its wicked schweet. You should get it, and if you already have it its nice, isnt it? My Screen name is Corbin42

Put your gmail names down.

theres too many different chat protocols out there. And besides UI and similes and a fe wother difference they all do pretty much the same thing, get a message form one person to another. Its a pain to need multi-protocol clienents though i do like gaim more than aim on both windows and linux. Personally i hate trillian though, go gaim. and if your using CLI *nix check out naim, its a pretty good client.

<cough> All you really need is IRC ;)

-Dr^ZigMan