Spirit-Medium

Tetra & Scanners

8 posts in this topic

The police over here in the u.k have gone to useing Tetra radios which we carnt listen to them with scanners any more so does anyone know how i can listen in on there new Tetra system?

You might want to see if you can find FCC [not sure the comunications guys in Europe are] or similar specs on the frequencies used, you might then be able to find a scanner covering those frequencies, if they're not scrambled.

I think it would have to be a different type of scanner coz this new digital system there useing is ment to have a chip in that makes people not able to listen to them.

Good to Some new UK guys, welcome.

Yes all police traffic is encrypted. as far as the encryption codes changing I am not sure but each radio is more like a cellphone (mobile) then an actual radio. It is set ether to one or more frequencys depending on the police officers base. and all voice traffic between that frequencies is encrypted via a 4 digit key encryption as far as i know.

You will be unable to listen in.

Also if you do try and brake the code its i think illegal. i would assume so.

Hope to see you around.

-- belial

there's a little info and links here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrestrial_Trunked_Radio

I was at a UK police fleet manager's show last week supporting some of my work's equipment, one of the officers was showing us his radio.

you can call phone-to-phone, or to internal extensions via their PABX (and presumably via this to "real" phone numbers as well), but most of the time they leave the radio set on one of their standard "call groups", each UK division has a handfull of groups such as general use, ground-to-air, chase commentary etc.

yes, and its pretty simple to switch between these groups so one could be your division or station then the next could be the air division or fire services and so on.

I am sure if you find a "HAM" Radio operator you could listen in. And by a "HAM" radio operator I mean the guys that work for the telco companies that have access to all the fancy equipment. Someone told me about a code that would be on the telco van if it contained this equipment but I cannot remember what it was. This equipment can be used to listen into cell phone conversations and other things. Now unless you know one of these guys you would have to commit a huge crime to get your hands on the equipment.

Anyone that want to correct me in my general terms go for it.

I am sure if you find a "HAM" Radio operator you could listen in.  And by a "HAM" radio operator I mean the guys that work for the telco companies that have access to all the fancy equipment.  Someone told me about a code that would be on the telco van if it contained this equipment but I cannot remember what it was.  This equipment can be used to listen into cell phone conversations and other things.  Now unless you know one of these guys you would have to commit a huge crime to get your hands on the equipment.

Anyone that want to correct me in my general terms go for it.

i've only been in one of the south england police tetra server rooms - but i'd guess they are all at their respective division HQs - i would bet that you either need to be in that room to eavesdrop, or know a freindly policeman with a spare radio!