Strom Carlson

USB external hard drive uses

20 posts in this topic

I've got a 30 gig laptop hard drive in an aluminum USB enclosure. Although I'll be perfectly happy using it just to store data, are there any cool uses you guys have for your external USB hard drives that I might be overlooking?

Whenever I take my laptop to the library, I always get download speeds around 400K/s. It would be great if they left their wifi on a night, so I could go there and dl all my large files. Sadly, my laptop only has a 1GB harddrive and no usb :( .

I don't have an external HD yet, but have been meaning to pick one up. A few uses I see for one are:

* store backups of recent documents, current projects (auto backup every hour or so)

* Use as a file repository for things you may need to take with you from time to time

* Great for imaging hard drives to have a complete disaster recovery plan in place, I've used them at work to image an entire (small) office's worth of computers and then setup nightly backups of each user's profile. Connect the external HD to a server somewhere and then point all the workstations at it. If there's a disaster, you can just bring the hard drive to each machine instead of having to download an ungodly large file.

* If it gets really hot you could cook eggs on it. Or maybe use as a heater if you live in Russia

Go Portable. I am using my HD for a small set of applications to have a completely portable office. A good starting point is

http://johnhaller.com/jh/useful_stuff/

http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/

You can get Portable version of Thunderbird, Firefox, Sunbird and OpenOffice.org. PortableNVU is there.

Then Google around for Portable Applications. I am running: PortablePIM, AbiWord, Foxit Reader, Miranda IM, CDex, Noiseware, iftp, xmplay, xnview, spacemonger, xplorer2, ccleaner, stinger, ipscan. There was one site with a lot of security/hacking apps, but I forgot which one.

FOUND IT

http://combobulate.com/usbutils.htm

With PStart you create your own menu for the apps. You can make an autorun for it, but I don't like that myself.

Anyway, it only takes a couple 100 Mb with OpenOffice taking up the most space. I love it.

I've got a 30 gig laptop hard drive in an aluminum USB enclosure.  Although I'll be perfectly happy using it just to store data, are there any cool uses you guys have for your external USB hard drives that I might be overlooking?

I heard that it is possible to connect an external usb to a ps2 and you can back up games or download them on your computer put them onto the hdd and then play them.

I've got a 30 gig laptop hard drive in an aluminum USB enclosure.  Although I'll be perfectly happy using it just to store data, are there any cool uses you guys have for your external USB hard drives that I might be overlooking?

I heard that it is possible to connect an external usb to a ps2 and you can back up games or download them on your computer put them onto the hdd and then play them.

HD loader, Myself i just got a mod chip.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&c2c...%27&btnG=Search

Note: this is for backup.

Edited by ic0n

I have a lil cheepy enclosure I picked up for $30, I use it for a lil of everything but one of the things I use it alot for are for recovering data on other peoples boxes I work on. Set the drive up as slave and start diggin around pre-format. If your using winders be careful of virus', its an easy way to pick one up.

I forgot the rest of my reply.go me.

Anyway, like I was saying, I use my extern. enclosure for testing out cd drives, or using my dvd burner on my laptop via usb.Pretty handy.

I use mine for backup, transporting data, and saving anythin on a box that I'm at that is nice that I might be able to use later. Sometimes I use my thumbdrive to get a file a lil bit more descrete, but then again it is quite normal to plug everything in to usb ports... :) and people stay logged in quite a bit.

HD loader, Myself i just got a mod chip.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&c2c...%27&btnG=Search

Note: this is for backup.

It's possible, but completely unfeasible for real-life purposes, since it's USB 1.1, not 2.0. You'll be waiting for hours for the game to load.

The only real way to use an external drive on the PS2 is to use a FireWire hard drive (like an iPod) with a modified end-connector that fits into an i.Link port.

I use it to store all my movies and music.

But my brother fried it :(.

I have a 160Gb lacie FW harddrive. It was kind of expensive but the near silent operation and high quality is worth it. I wouldn't consider anything other than Firewire on a Mac.

I have pretty much everything and anything on that drive, including several 8Gb video_ts folders. :o I know I should compress them really but I'm not that worried about HD space at the mo.

I also have a full bootabale clone of my System on a partiton, or at least I did until I installed Tiger. Just waiting for the CCCloner update...

Oh, by the way, first post... :P

i use my 180gb to keep my instals and backups do u know how long it can take to dl the same file 9 times for 9 diffrent computers thats why i got one

I just picked up a 320 GB external WD from newegg for $230

is it posicle to make your own external hard dirve i would think so if so were can i buy the parts for it

Well, it makes a great way of getting files from one computer to another when they excede your thumb drive or cd-r or even dvd-r limits. Personally, I use one when I need to get new linux iso's off non-burner computers. Now the cool thing would be if you have one that runs completely off the usb or firewire power. I know the apple store genius bar geniuses use some firewire drives (lacie i think)that run off the firewire power that they use to help diagnose computer problems from a known to be working source. Now if you have one of those, you can do anything you need without carrying too much bulk (the ones they use are no bigger then your average cd case, even thinner. Just barely bigger then the 2.5 laptop hd inside of the case.)

Do not buy "external hard drives." Also, don't buy "external cd-rw" or "external dvd-rw" drives. Why? Cause you're getting ripped off. Any non-flash external drive is a normal hard drive or optical disk drive that's enclosed in a hard-drive caddy(sp?). Personally I bought me a 5-inch hard drive caddy. Thus I can put in a normal dvd-rw drive into it and use it as an external dvd writer. In fact that's the current use for it. If I want to pop in a hard drive into it then I just have to screw in the rails for the average 3-inch hard drive. My usb 2.0 hard drive caddie ran me 30 dollars. The dvd-rw drive that I put into it cost me 50 bucks. So that's 80 bucks for an external dvd-rw drive which normally retails for 200 dollars. Plus I can pop out the dvd-rw drive and pop in an HD and thereby have an external usb HD.

That's why you shouldn't get "pre-made" external usb HDs or optical drives. They're just normal drives in usb or firewire enclosures and buying an hd and an enclosure separatly costs a lot less than buying them as a bundle.