Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
F34TH3R

Network Setup Help

13 posts in this topic

Today I went out to buy a wireless router, I also have a wired router, and would like to know if I need to disable DHCP on one of these. I also don't know which IP the router is giving my new wireless router, so I can't enter the IP into my browser and screw aorund with it. Thanks for your help.

My setup is: Cable Modem--->Wired Router--->Wireless Router.

What brand routers?

Some have a "connected devices" tab.

Both are linksys. Do you mean a tab under the web interface? I have no idea what ip my router (wired) gave my wireless router.

Try status>local network>DHCP client table

It shoud give a list of attached devices.

Try status>local network>DHCP client table

It shoud give a list of attached devices.

and this should be where?

It is on the setup screen on the router.

By default web browse to 192.168.15.1(if my memory servers me correctly)

and log on with username/password admin

If do not know the IP goto a command prompt the put in ipconfig your router should be the gateway.

You may want to change the default IP settings and passwords.

why do you need the wired router at all?

Yeah, wireless is the wave of the future!

And I don't know about the linksys wireless routers, but my netgear wireless router also has 4 wired ethernet plugs, so since you probably don't have wireless cards for every computer you own, you can still connect the computers directly to it with ethernet cables like the wired router. Also, unless you live a mile away from civilization, it's a good idea to changed the default password on the router, and WEP or WPA protect it and have it not broadcast the ssid, unless you want to have it open for the neighbors to use.

I just moved, and my new neighbors don't have a password on their USR wireless router, and I got in and I *could* totally pwn it, but didn't actually do any harm, just erased the logs of my MAC address being connected to it.

why do you need the wired router at all?

the more connections the better :D

Dont do double NAT (LAN to WAN)... it could cause some headaches if you are port forwarding. Choose which one you want to be the router. The disable DHCP on the other, check to make sure the LAN IPs of the routers are unique(but in the same subnet), and connect LAN to LAN. Then you got a router and a switch with a bunch of features you arent using.

Edited by bob_oliver

You may want to go Internet-->Wireless-->Wired this would be slightly more secure for your wired machines, yes there could be some nat headaches, but then you add more security for your internal lan, if that is what you want. Then hook up your webservers or any other external stuff to the first router for port forwarding. This is all assuming that the wireless has some ports on it.