Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jason Scott

BBS Documentary Interviews

5 posts in this topic

You probably saw this on Slashdot (or maybe you're too cool for Slashdot) but I've started the somewhat-arduous process of releasing basically all the interview footage I shot for the BBS Documentary on archive.org.

This will be likely 190-195 of the 205 interviews I did (some were done under circumstances where they can't be released this way) and they'll all be CC licensed and available as MPEG-2. It will be at least 100 hours, and it will be at least half a terabyte. Make yer own damn documentaries!

Anyway, I just uploaded an interview that may be of interest to this crowd: Minor Threat, creator of Tone-Loc. Link is:

http://www.archive.org/details/20040130-bbs-mthreat

Have at. And like I said, there'll be many more. If I think they'll appeal to binrev folks specifically, I'll let you know.

Thanks for your incredible BBS documentary!

I look forward to seeing additional interview material with Tom Jennings and the many other Fidonet people. I've been curious about the social dynamics of Fidonet for a long time. Your documentary segment answered many of my questions, but it also whet my appetite for more information. I'd like to know more about how the Fidonet "policy5" document came to be.

And thanks for textfiles.com!

I look forward to seeing additional interview material with Tom Jennings and the many other Fidonet people. I've been curious about the social dynamics of Fidonet for a long time. Your documentary segment answered many of my questions, but it also whet my appetite for more information. I'd like to know more about how the Fidonet "policy5" document came to be.

Do you mean Policy 4?

There's an enormous amount of Fidonet-related material among my interviews. It's a LOT more jumpy than the episode, though, with a lot of variant talk about different parts of it. Rick Siegel was very lucid and went into specifics, as did Mark Grennan, Dave Drexler, and a handful of others.

Tom Jennings says things in his interview that are nearly legally actionable. It will take me a little while to go through and vet it. Actually, I forgot Frank Vest! He had a bunch too!

This is going to be quite a dump of information. I'm noticing that after cutting out the "cruft", a lot of these hour interviews are becoming 30-40 minutes.

Do you mean Policy 4?

Oops, yes. See, I obviously need to watch more of your footage to get my facts straight! ;)

I'll watch for the names you mentioned in your above post to appear on the website. Thanks again!