Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hell Reapers

SHOUTcast

8 posts in this topic

You need a plug-in that you can download from www.shoutcast.com

all you need you can find there.

what happens is you play tunes through winamp the shoucast source plug-in sends the data to the shoucast server and then people listen in from there. in saying that it is possible to have both things done on the same machine. and if you are behind a firewall you will need to open up at least 1 port for this to work.

It is also possible to Stream live over music. this is what we do at hacker voice radio.

Just need ether the mixer set up right so it can loop back to itself.

--belial

Hows do i set up a SHOUTcast serv ??? so i can be iDJ ??

As a word of caution, don't try to run this off of Windows if you want a serious station or want to advertise to more than just a couple friends. The Windows Shoutcast binaries are holier than my underwear. Especially if you ever want to stream video. Even the latest version has buffer overflows (Read: Notacon TV was owned multiple times, but I wasn't exactly surprized). I have not tested the Linux version yet but I would like to assume it is a little more patched up/less buggy.

Just my 2 cents.

I've never had any problems with a Windows server before. As long as you config it right and run it on a good enough machine. I've had over 100 connections before on a wnidows server and it was fine. As far as TV goes I'm not really sure how stable it is. I just recently started getting into video hosting.

If you are really looking at doing this look for hosted options.

but if you have a uber fast low latency connection go for a home project.

never had any experience with windows shoutcast so i can only comment on the Linux side.

hope it goes well for you.

Icecast is good, too, I have hosted a station using Shoutcast and it is very simple.

I suggest for video to use the command line version.

All the instructions on setting a Shoutcast server up are on their site. I had one set up for the longest so I could listen to all my music at work from my house. I never had a problem with it.

But, as someone has said before, if you are going to have more than a few people listening then getting hosting is going to be a way to go. There are a lot of hosting companies that do hosting for music servers. Just look up 'shoutcast hosting' in google and find one you like.

I wouldn't advise this to you whitesword, from what I understand, you're on dialup. Unless you intend on streaming at a very low bitrate.