Fr34k3R

IBM t20 BIOS password

8 posts in this topic

I took my laptop apart to see how all the parts fit into a small case. With the exception of putting my broken monitor back on I was able to connect all the parts with no problem. Or so I thought, I didn't have the hdd all the way in when I started it up and when I pushed it back in the screen flashed. Then it asked me for my bios passwords as it usually does, so I enter them in. Only the second one somehow got changed and now I'm locked out. I pulled the watch battery out hoping to reset the bios, but after over 24 hours the passwords are still there. So I did a search on google and found that I could either buy a new motherboard or a security chip that costs 100 dollars The model is IBM t20 and apparently the bios is stored directly on the motherboard. Is there any other way to reset the password? Would it be possible to safely remove the securtiy chip without having to replace it with a new one?

Post what type of chip it is. If you decide to buy a new chip, make sure you don't get ripped off. It is probably just an IC of some kind. If you post the chip number, I am sure someone can tell you what pins you will need to jumper to erase the password. Don't spend money yet.

Perhaps the second one changes to a default admin password or something to aid techs in replacing bad components (Once parts are disassembled, etc.) You can try and call IBM and SE them to find out. Just a thought.

See if you find something usefull here: http://www.tech-faq.com/reset-bios-password.shtml

If not, you may go here: http://www.ja.axxs.net/unlock/key_for_t20.htm

Thanks for the links, unfortunately I still can't get into my laptop. I must have set the supervisor password when I first got it and since I never need to use it forgot that it was there and what it was. Taking the battery out reset the boot password and I remember the user password, but it looks like I'll have to pay to get the supervisor password taken off. I also tried the default IBM password, no luck there either.

You might want to keep the CMOS battery (the watch battery) out a bit longer. A friend of mine got a motherboard from someone, and he needed to keep the CMOS out for almost 4 days before the password reset.

You might want to keep the CMOS battery (the watch battery) out a bit longer. A friend of mine got a motherboard from someone, and he needed to keep the CMOS out for almost 4 days before the password reset.

Don't IBM Thinkpads store their bios on the hard drive? Which would tend to explain why you can't reset the bios password by pulling out the CMOS battery.

EDIT: Also, I can get you the service manual if you want it.

Edited by I-baLL