Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Coder(365)

Radio Shows

32 posts in this topic

I hate to be the one to bitch about this (and I do have a solution). But I feel there are more than enough shows out there right now. I feel if someone wants to contrubite to the community, then they should either contrubite to the existing shows, or create a segment, or do a HMPA show. ( http://hackermedia.net/ ) Not create a new show, fuck, I cant even keep track of the current show. Perhaps we could also combine all the little shows into one big show, it'd be weird, but I feel it may work.

That's my opinion.

i disagree and agree with you, go to http://podcastalley.com/ and see that there are like 4000 podcasts, so the 10 or so shows that are around here are just the tip of the iceberg, thats like saying there are 2 many websites and everyone just needs to work on the same 4.

the agreeing part, is that doing a show is alot of work, though it is cool, alot of shows dont last very many episodes. so you get less recognition, but you do make things better when you just help others with a show, instead of doing one fo 8 episodes and getting tired of it.

anyone is welcome to send stuff to mine, record yourself, call our voicemail.

I'm going to have to disagree, there can never be too many shows. Even if all of them are saying the same thing, that information is getting out to different groups of people. The more and more people that learn about what's going on today, and stop being spoon fed media by the "mass media" the better. So I say, the more the merrier! :)

-Dr^ZigMan

I agree with the more the merrier aspect. However, I think dual was on to something when he left RFA. The HPR project really peaked my interrest. We need a station. And not just an online station but a well produced show that can be distributed to radio stations. It fits the goals of the DDP. I'm just rambling.....

I know we have binrev radio but something more formal. I dunno...

There are too many bad shows. I can say that. But that's just how the internet is. Filled with mostly crap, just pick and find what you like and try to stick with it. And if you have the free time go out and find something you haven't heard before. Chances are it'll stink but hey at least your expectations are lower.

This has got me thinking. I wonder how many shows out there are run by forum members or inspired by the shows already created by forums members.

Binary Revolution Radio

Radio FreeK America

Infonomicon

Default Radio

Geek Love Radio

Blow On This Radio

Underfire Radio

DTMF Radio

Uberleeto

Hacker Media Public Access

Thats just a small list right off the top of my head. I know there is a ton more. I'm happy to see there are so many shows to choose from. I'd like to see move video projects.

Edited by djmollusk

Doug, Are you trying to imply something? :D

I think that's the point I was trying to reach at. There are too many shows that dont go very far and suck. But whatever, it alternitive media right?

These shows are way for members to inform, educate, and last but not least bitch about shit. It's just another thing to hack, now that the bar is lowered and the information is out there about starting radio show, people can do it. This is just another playground for people to play in. The best point of all give me media that is not clear channel, ge, or disney.

Internet media is the new wave we are moving to a many minority markets where media will not be dictated by major players, content will be driven by the consumers, and if people are listening to shoiws they will continue to flourish. This is really good news, becuase for once choice of consumption will become slightly more democratic, and the hacker community as a minority of consumers wins.

So I say let there be more podcasts.

*Steps off of soapbox*

These shows are way for members to inform, educate, and last but not least bitch about shit.  It's just another thing to hack, now that the bar is lowered and the information is out there about starting radio show, people can do it.  This is just another playground for people to play in.  The best point of all give me media that is not clear channel, ge, or disney. 

Internet media is the new wave we are moving to a many minority markets where media will not be dictated by major players, content will be driven by the consumers, and if people are listening to shoiws they will continue to flourish.  This is really good news, becuase for once choice of consumption will become slightly more democratic, and the hacker community as a minority of consumers wins.

So I say let there be more podcasts.

*Steps off of soapbox*

Hell I know my show sucks, but that is the reason I do it .. I care less what people might think, and I just do it anyway! :grr: :grr:

Majestic, you have the most annoying signature I've ever seen on a forum. My middle finger gets tired of scrolling the mouse wheel and i'm about to give the finger to you if you don't chop down your signature a bit. :grr:

haha

Anyways. A lot of the radio shows I've heard on the internet sucks. I'm too scared to listen to some of the things I hear about these people and their podcasting stuff. I just try to hear some reviews of friends of what people think before I take the time to listen to the show. Unless it's a good friend of mine doing the show or someone that I like, then i will take the time and support them by listening to it and giving them my honest opinion and possible ways to improve the show if it needs improving.

Majestic, you have the most annoying signature I've ever seen on a forum.  My middle finger gets tired of scrolling the mouse wheel and i'm about to give the finger to you if you don't chop down your signature a bit.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

in my opinion i think there are to many radio shows and not enough text files or zines. i would rather sit and read something interesting that someone has written than listen to an hour long radio show about it. i think its easier to reference to.

:blush: (this coming from the guy who is starting his own show..) :blush:

I really enjoy all the "radio" shows that are out there. Living in a rual area, there sure are not armies of 1337 MFer's.. in fact there are very few. Having an ASSLOAD of "radio" shows is fanFUCKINGtastik, imho. This way the ones I do listen to are a lil' more suited to me and my personality. Also I like that if one of the shows starts to suck, there are plenty of others for me to go and listen to.

Sure, there may be tons of shows out now.. but how many will stand the test of time? Better yet, how many will out live the ipod fad?(yes that's right podcasting is merly a fad and will soon cease to exisit.. :P ) It is my belief that those shows that withstand the ipod/podcasting fad, and the test of time will be the jewels of independent/hacker media.

It take a lot of shit and organics a long time to form coal.. it takes even loger for that coal to turn into a diamond.. but when it's all said a done, out of all the shit and rubble emerges just a few gems which are priceless and can be used countless ways. One can use a diamond as an enhancing accesory to every day life, or at the end of a huge bore drilling into superhard surfaces(like my head, per say :blink: ).

So too will be the way of all these radio shows.. so sit back, tune in and support the shows you enjoy. If you don't enjoy'em or think there're too many, then just walk away.

I don't like TV. :pissed: but instead of sitting there infront of the bastard flipping channels and bitchn' that there is nothing to watch.. I GET UP.. that's right.. i simply walk away. I don't have the time for crap on TV to turn into gems.. so i find something else to occupy my time with, THAT I ENJOY :blink:

:blink::blush: sorry for the rant. I enjoy that we are able to express ourselfs here, and I am just merly doing that. I value all the other opions, and enjoy reading them. please don't take my lil' rant as a lecture, or as what i think others should do. You should do what you feel like doing.. even if that's questioning what I like :o:lol:

Even though text files and zines are great. I like all the radio shows, becuase it is nice to mix up with the music while writing code or other computer work.

I welcome as many radio shows as possible. I just wish they were prepared more and focused on good audio and content quality. Keep them coming.

Edited by djmollusk

I welcome as many radio shows as possible.  I just wish they were prepared more and focused on good audio and content quality.  Keep them coming.

One such program that is technology related is ITconversations. Basically interviews/conferences, awsome audio quality and I really enjoy a bunch of the shows, the ones that arent about subjects you enjoy, well you just hit the next button and keep going. *note they do have like 2 ads at the start and end.

Want to be popular and renowned? Do something original! Radio is a fine medium -- but it can become dull. Personally, I'd like to see more people invading the print realm (and concentrating on binrev magazine).

i can both agree and disagree with you there, pinhead. I think that printed materials are great. I read just about any tech/hacker magazine i can get my hands on. However, making and distributing a magazine or a newsletter is not cheap. The good thing about making a radio show is that you can do it basically for free. You don't have to worry about finding a printing company, organizing and editing the crap that people submit, laying out how the articles will fit into the magazine, finding a good distributor, etc. Hell, with such projects as the Podcast Incubator, you don't really need to worry about finding a place to host your show in it's infancy. Making a magazine is alot of work and responsibility that alot of people aren't prepared to take on.

As someone who started a show a few weeks ago, I knew when I started that there are shitload of shows there already. I do it because A) I need something to do and B ) Its pretty dam fun to host your own show :D I know mine is probably teh suckage but I honestly couldn't care less, we're mostly just fucking around with it :P I've got to agree with everyone who said "the more the merrier" amen to that.

Edited by Dr. Z2A

My 2 cents....

Personally I myself think the same thing: there are too many radio shows...period. If you are busy most of the time like me its difficult to keep track of all of them (even via rss). I think there should be 2-3 max/ major radio shows that everyone should contribute to besides starting thieir own ones... and by starting your own.... people that are new to radio will get all caught up in the bad ones and not be able to fully appreciate it.

In conclusion: "Too many cooks, spoils the soup"

Got it to work, nevermind...

Edited by Apoc

Hi, maniacs.

Bearing in mind that I live in kind of a dreamworld and with me not actually being involved in active production of any of these works, here's my take.

First of all, there aren't "too many shows". That's a non-starter. Life's processes will cull out people faster than you can create them; we're in a small burstlet that will fade, trust me. You're standing on the corner of Haight-Ashbury in 1968 going "too many hippies" or listening to the radio in 1994 going "too many grunge bands from Seattle". It'll all work itself out that way.

That said, I would instead like to propose a way to get away from the natural fade-out a lot of shows have. This has been mentioned a hundred times on this forum and elsewhere, but the general structure of these shows are:

Episode 1: Welcome to cockknock radio, whoops we fucked up sound

Episode 2: Episode two is here. Hacking hacking hacking!

Episode 3: Hey, new cockknock co-host trans1st0r-r4d10, news and hacking

Episode 4: Sorry we're late with Episode 4, hacking, hacking

Episode 5: Oh, crap, it's the summer. No idea where r4d10 is.

It's a common problem; you sign up for the pain and there's little feedback to insist on going through the pain further. After the first few shows, you start to lose track, stuff interests you, and then the next thing you know you've missed a week and then whoops, it's been a month and now you're just not able to keep up, the caravan is going on without you.

American TV series are generally cut into "seasons", where each season has a number of "episodes", followed by time off, and then another "season". A lot of this comes from the episodes being generated by third-party production firms, who are able to put together a product for the year and get a contract. There's a lot of history in there and I'm cutting a lot of crap out, but there we are.

In British and Japanese (and other) countries, the TV channels (primary) are generally controlled by the state, and as a result, they often contract shows out in specific "arcs", where you say 'This is a series about a restaurant', and it has 12 contracted episodes, and they shoot them, and they're done. If they want to do a sequel, the next "season" (as we in America would think of it) is in fact another named series. For example, there was a 25 episode series called "Love Hina" in Japan, followed by "Love Hina Again" (a 3 episode series for DVD), and two or three "Love Hina Specials" (Spring Special, Winter Special) that were two-hour stories. This is about as extreme as it gets.

In England, more and more of these series are being refashioned for american audiences, so they're called "Seasons" for the purposes of BBC America and other such channels, but they generally aren't like that. And in the case of shows where there's an actual plotline going through the episodes, i.e. dramas, they definitely stick to the "closed circuit" approach.

As a result of this thinking, a lot of these hacker radio shows end up being open ended "seasons", emulating a magazine more than a show, and with the sky being the limit. But on the other hand, the names are often the big initial effort put in (instead of planning), followed by a petering off as the drudgery kicks in.

My advice then, for a group of people who have generally low ultimate attention spans for projects (but not for being involved in projects in general!) would be to change how you go about this nomenclature, and instead refocus the whole thing towards your skill-set.

Instead of open-ended numbering, create a "series". Name it whatever you want to, let's say, "C0CK-KN0X RADIO" and declare it will be 10 1-hour episodes. Spend a little time beforehand and decide what the 10 will likely have in each episode (generally). Then start doing them, numbering the filenames correctly (01, 02) and then, when you get to the end, have a little party, wrap up the previous episodes, and bing, C0CK-KN0X is now done.

This will fix several things. First of all, a pause becomes a case of working on the quality of that part of the train, not "what the fuck happened to your weekly show". Second, with the end in sight and defined, you'd be surprised how effective that is in helping you carve out your time leading up to it. ("Just three more... just three more...") Finally, when you're done, you're DONE. You ACCOMPLISHED it, instead of it always being this open-ended Sword of Damocles.

Then, if you've finished your little marathon and you've decided you want to do it again, just give it a variant name, and do another. ("C0CK-KN0X II: THE POSTMAN ALWAYS C0CK-KN0X TWICE") and go through the process again. And I'll bet you do it better, too.

Anyway, I throw that one to the crowd.

That is a great idea Jason; the whole season idea. That is one thing I've noticed about some shows: the whole burnout effect. People take too much to chew, and can't keep up with it. I still try to listen to their shows too though.

With the show I started a few months ago (yet another one to the list of others), I made sure to make it less frequent than weekly, facing the reality that I may burn out if I did it weekly. I want to make sure I have good content for each show and have the energy to keep it up for a while. I like the season idea relative to the show I do since the content on the show is somewhat "timeless;" it's not a news show. So I would be able to record some episodes in batch.

I also made the show 26 minutes, I made it "byte-size." I'm a busy person, and I like to multi-task. There are many things to do while eating right? So I listen to a show. I wanted a show that I can sit down and eat with, and when I'm done eating, I don't have to wait for the show to end to do something else. It is also not as much as a burden for me to catch up with the old eps (I'm compulsive and have to listen to every ep in the series).

I try to focus on content and put a lot of thought in to each ep. The last one was about self-jamming (ripping the corpo rug from under oneself). I was able to get dual_parallel as a guest on the show, it was a satisfying ep.

i think that is a very good idea, jason. I think that would be a very helpful for the people who don't have the drive to keep a show up for the long run.

i think that is a very good idea, jason. I think that would be a very helpful for the people who don't have the drive to keep a show up for the long run.

You have to be careful how you phrase that.

It's not a case of drive or will. It's a case of realistically looking at time and project limitations and creating a work that takes those into consideration, AND lets you exploit the advantages. Otherwise, it sounds like anyone who hasn't created a 100-show run is a "failure". Which they most certainly are not. Guys like Dual and Stank are the exception, not the rule. And they both paid heavy prices personally to bring those shows together.

The textfiles.com podcast, should it ever come to fruition, will definitely be a limited series, and I hope nobody questions my drive or will. It's just a case of setting the right boundaries and working within them so the final work seems intentful, functional, and completely well-done.